Edtracker stopped working

Forum for posting topics and questions about anything.
mort

Edtracker stopped working

Post by mort » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:13 pm

Hi there,
A few months ago I bought an edtracker kit (9250) to solder myself and it worked fine. But after some time I had some issues. Sometimes the edtracker-gui wouldnt recieve any data. A combination of unplugging / flashing the firmware / restarting the pc would resolve the issue. One day it did not anymore. I thought it would be a consequence of my rather lackluster soldering technique. So I ordered a new one, this time presoldered. After initial calibration it worked like a charm. The day after it stopped.
The edtracker shows up as:
-an keyboard named EDtracker EDtracker2 in the basic win10 device menu
-as an installed gamecontroller under the usb-gamecontroller menu
-as COM4 - Arduino Leonardo inside the edtracker UI
Ive tried to whipe the arduino clean with the Arduino IDE before flashing.
Ive tried to use different versions of the UI.
When the tracker is connected there is a green light in the upper left and a red light in the lower right. (usb-port at the top). When pressing "connect to tracker" in the UI a red light in the lower left flashes once.
After flashing the debug 1.0.0 firmware the green light is still on while the lower right red light flashes steadily and the lower left red light turns on and of with each flash of the lower right light.
Pressing the "connect to tracker" button turns the lower right light of while the lower left stays turning on and off in the described pattern.
I can replicate this behaviour across different usb-ports with different cables on different pcs (win7+win10)

I hope someone can help me.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Edtracker stopped working

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:50 am

Hi mort, sorry to here this....

A few months ago I bought an edtracker kit (9250) to solder myself and it worked fine. But after some time I had some issues. Sometimes the edtracker-gui wouldnt recieve any data. A combination of unplugging / flashing the firmware / restarting the pc would resolve the issue. One day it did not anymore. I thought it would be a consequence of my rather lackluster soldering technique.

This is odd, it could be a hardware issue but the fact that you were able to make it work again by simply reinstalling/rebooting suggests its a software issue. I don't know if you want to continue to debug this one but my first suggestion would be to test it on a different computer if possible just in case there is something strange going on with your computer. We can of course always get it back to take a look at it ourselves.

-an keyboard named EDtracker EDtracker2 in the basic win10 device menu
-as an installed gamecontroller under the usb-gamecontroller menu
-as COM4 - Arduino Leonardo inside the edtracker UI

This all looks ok to me. I take it there are no warnings or caution symbols in device manager?

Ive tried to whipe the arduino clean with the Arduino IDE before flashing.
This shouldn't be necessary, as long as you have the correct firmware (EDTracker_9250 4.0.5) flashed it should work fine.

Ive tried to use different versions of the UI.

Again, the only thing you need to install and test the firmware is the DIY version of the EDTracker GUI (EDtracker UI 4.0.4.0).

After flashing the debug 1.0.0 firmware the green light is still on while the lower right red light flashes steadily and the lower left red light turns on and of with each flash of the lower right light.

The debug firmware is just a simple sketch that flashes the LEDs to show that the pro micro is alive but tbh if you can flash the firmware then that means it's alive anyway. So it really doesn't give us any useful information.

When the tracker is connected there is a green light in the upper left and a red light in the lower right. (usb-port at the top). When pressing "connect to tracker" in the UI a red light in the lower left flashes once.

The green light is just a power light and will always be illuminated so that's ok. The red LED just shows serial communication. It should blink once when you connect to the tracker as you mentioned but after that the GUI should start to calibrate the the gyro and the LED should start to blink rapidly. Can you do these steps....

1) Use the EDTracker UI (4.0.4.0) to flash the EDTracker_9250 4.0.5 firmware.

2) After flashing if it doesn't automatically connect click the 'Scan ports' button then click the 'CONNECT TO TRACKER' button.

The GUI should then try to calibrate the gyro. Does anything happen after clicking the connect button?
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Return to “General Discussion”