Hobby Components USB 8CH 24MHz Logic Analyser (HCTEST0006)

Hobby components test equipment
marl_scot

Re: Hobby Components USB 8CH 24MHz Logic Analyser (HCTEST0006)

Post by marl_scot » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:45 pm

Tried creating a new topic, so this wouldn't get lost in the number of replies, but am unable to.
Admin, if possible could you re-post this as a separate topic for this board?

Installing Hobby Components USB 8CH Logic analyser on a Raspberry Pi

Using Raspbian GNU/Linux 9

If using the GUI, then open a terminal.

type :

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install autoconf autoconf-archive automake check cmake default-jdk doxygen g++ gcc git-core libboost-filesystem-dev libboost-serialization-dev libboost-system-dev libboost-test-dev libftdi1-dev libglib2.0-dev libglibmm-2.4 dev libqt5svg5-dev libtool libusb-1.0-0-dev libzip-dev make pkg-config python3-dev python-dev python-gi-dev python-numpy python-setuptools qtbase5-dev swig wget sdcc
If you get an Java error 'error 4' or message like 'ca-certificates-java' failed to install correctly, then type :

ln /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-armhf/jre/lib/arm/client /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-armhf/jre/lib/arm/server -s
(thats a lower case L followed by a lower case N)

and then repeat the above apt-get command (apt will carry on from where it was).

Follow the instructions on this page https://sigrok.org/wiki/Linux to compile the software, I have included the commands below to make it easier for copy/paste

cd ~
git clone git://sigrok.org/libserialport
cd libserialport
./autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make install

cd ~
git clone git://sigrok.org/libsigrok
cd libsigrok
./autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make install

cd ~
git clone git://sigrok.org/libsigrokdecode
cd libsigrokdecode
./autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make install

cd ~
git clone git://sigrok.org/sigrok-cli
cd sigrok-cli
./autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make install

cd ~
git clone git://sigrok.org/pulseview
cd pulseview
cmake .
make
sudo make install

cd ~
git clone git://sigrok.org/sigrok-firmware-fx2lafw
cd sigrok-firmware-fx2lafw
./autogen.sh
./configure
make
make install

cd ~
sudo cp libsigrok/contrib/60-libsigrok.rules  /etc/udev/rules.d/
sudo cp libsigrok/contrib/61-libsigrok-plugdev.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/
Reboot the Raspberry Pi
To run the software, open a terminal and type :

pulseview
In the pulseview software, click on the device menu, on my install this defaulted to 'Demo Driver'

This will show a 4 step dialog :
Step 1 : You should select the 'fx2lafw' driver
Step 2 : Make sure 'USB' is selected
Step 3 : Click on 'Scan for devices using the driver above'
Step 4 : Select the 'sigrok FX2 LA (8ch) with 8 channels' device
and click 'OK'

You should now be able to use the logic probe and the software :)

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:03 am

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to create this guide. The ability to create a new topic is disabled in the product sections of the forum to stop these sections from getting cluttered with duplicate threads. However as this is a really useful guide I've now added it to the bottom of the first post so that its easy to find. Thanks again.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

AndrewS

Post by AndrewS » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:24 pm

I got an HCTEST0006 for Xmas 2 years ago. It seemed a little complicated so I did not try to install it, until this weekend.

I downloaded PulseView (32 bit) for my Win10 laptop, but am having problems with the drivers. The analyser shows in device manager as fx2lafw.

When I start pulseview it starts with 'failure to open device - generic unspecified error'. Then it opens and I can connect to a device, but the 'sigrok fx2 la' mentioned does not appear in the list. If I select the generic fx2lafw then scan for devices using that driver I do get 'sigrok fx2 la (8ch) with 8 channels' in the bottom window. If I select this and click OK I again get the 'failed to open device' message.

Can you please advise what I should do to get this working?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:36 am

I've seen USB issues before where a device will enumerate ok but then you try to communicate with it, it suddenly fails. This is most likely a hardware issue like a bad connection somewhere but I would suggest trying the following two things:

Firstly If you have a spare mini USB cable could you try that as a bad cable is the most likeliest cause of the issue.

If that doesn't fix the problem try reinstalling the drivers using the Zadig installer utility just in case it is a problem with the driver. The Zadig utility can be found in the C:\Program Files (x86)\sigrok\PulseView folder, or wherever you have installed Pulseview. You can reference the first post in this thread for instructions on how to use the utility. Note that if your analyser is from 2 years ago it could have the default Cypress VID and PID (VID:04B4 PID:8613) but this shouldn't make a difference.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Barpy

Post by Barpy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:27 pm

Hi.
I am trying to use the Sigrok AppImage version of PulseView on Linux Ubuntu 16.04.
The AppImage runs OK and PulseView opens but I can't see the Logic Analyser device.

Please can someone explain how to "install the libsigrok udev rules files to be able to access some devices" as stated on the Sigrok Linux page.

Thanks.

pennaPaolo

Post by pennaPaolo » Sun May 12, 2019 4:45 pm

Hello all,
I see thip post has been inactive for months but I'm in a similar situation with a chep analyzer,
LHT00SU1
It should be based on the same firmware and fully compatible with SW suite sigrok and USBEE.
I've been able to use under rasbian after a Firmware reload but NEVER been able to connect in Windows (Win7 64).
Always got "unknown device" despite Zadiq install or cypress drivers.

Does anybody have a similar analyzer working?

Thanks a lot to everyone.
Paolo.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon May 13, 2019 8:22 am

It should be based on the same firmware and fully compatible with SW suite sigrok and USBEE.
Our analyser is programmed with our own firmware and will have different VID & PIDs so I doubt any information or drivers from this thread would work with your analyser. As this is the product thread for our own analyser it would also be off topic to discuss your issue here. My best advise is to contract the seller you bought the analyser fro as, they should be able to provide you with the correct driver or give you assistance in resolving your problem.

Friis

Re: Hobby Components 16 Channel Logic Analyser (HCTEST0035)

Post by Friis » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:18 pm

Hello!
I just bought a HCTEST0006 analyser.
I have tried to install it according to your guidelines, and the device is recognised by my windows computer as fx2lafw, but running PulseWiew gives an generic error and the following log:

sr: hwdriver: Scan found 0 devices (saleae-logic-pro).
sr: hwdriver: Scan found 0 devices (saleae-logic16).
sr: hwdriver: Scan found 0 devices (siglent-sds).
sr: hwdriver: Scan found 0 devices (sysclk-lwla).
sr: hwdriver: Scan found 0 devices (sysclk-sla5032).
sr: hwdriver: Scan found 0 devices (yokogawa-dlm).
sr: hwdriver: Scan found 0 devices (zeroplus-logic-cube).
sr: device: fx2lafw: Opening device instance.
sr: fx2lafw: Firmware upload was not needed.
fx2lafw: Failed to open device: LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED.
sr: fx2lafw: Unable to open device.
Notifying user of session error: "generic/unspecified error"

Can someone please help me solving this problem?

Best regards
Friis

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:42 pm

I'm not familiar with that error message but it looks to me like it's a driver issue. Did you install the driver using the Zadig method? Could you try installing the driver again as per the instructions above just on the off chance it fixes the issue.

If you still have no luck can you open up device manager and locate the analyser - it should be under 'Universal Serial Bus Devices' and check to see if there are any error messages or a yellow triangle next to it?

Friis

Post by Friis » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:28 pm

Hello Andrew
Thank you for your answer.
I reinstalled the driver as you suggested, but it did not solve the problem.
In the Device Manager I found the analyzer under USB-devices listed as fx2lafw, and it had no warnings attached.
In the control panel I find the device under Devices and Printers, not specified, named fx2lafw. Under Hardware properties I find the following log:

Device USB\VID_1D50&PID_608C\sigrok_FX2_8ch was configured.

Driver Name: oem176.inf
Class Guid: {88bae032-5a81-49f0-bc3d-a4ff138216d6}
Driver Date: 02/10/2017
Driver Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Driver Provider: libwdi
Driver Section: USB_Install
Driver Rank: 0xFF0001
Matching Device Id: USB\VID_1D50&PID_608C
Outranked Drivers:
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: USB\ROOT_HUB30\4&28212f49&0&0

Does it help you solving my problem?