Hobby Components Arduino Compatible Sketch Pad (HCBYOK0002)

admin
Site Admin

Hobby Components Arduino Compatible Sketch Pad (HCBYOK0002)

Post by admin » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:38 pm

Image of completed kit plus optional ATMega328p

Description:
Building your own hardware is always fun especially when it's combined with the Arduino platform. For this product we decided to combine the two things to create something that's both fun and useful. The Hobby Components Sketch Pad is a kit of parts that includes a custom PCB that when soldered together creates an Arduino compatible development board including the standard Arduino headers - allowing many existing shields to work with the finished product. The kit also includes standard ICSP and serial programming headers that with the addition of an in-circuit programmer, or USB to serial adaptor you can reprogram the the ATMega328 processor with your own sketches whilst it is inserted into the main board. To make this kit suitable for even a beginner to build we specifically designed it to only include easy to solder through hole components. To add an extra layer of practicality we have also included a 14 x 5 design pad area to solder your own circuits directly onto the board.

Please note: the completed board will require a 5V power supply source. A USB to serial adaptor will be required if you wish to flash sketches via the serial interface.

Kit includes:

1 x Sketch Pad PCB
1 x 28 pin DIL socket
2 x 6 pin Arduino header
2 x 8 pin Arduino header
1 x 16MHz Xtal
2 x 22pF ceramic capacitors
3 x 100nF ceramic capacitors
1 x 470R resistor
1 x 10K resistor
1 x Miniature push button
1 x 3mm LED
1x 11 pin SIL header (for programmer and ICSP header)

Optional:
1x ATmega328p processor in 28 pin DIL package

The kit can be supplied with the addition of an ATMega328p processor. This can be provided with the following bootloader options:

Arduino Uno bootloader:
Choose this option if you want to program sketches using an existing Arduino Uno compatible board.

Arduino Nano bootloader:
Choose this option if you want to program sketches whilst inserted into the sketch pad via a serial programmer (E.g. FTDI serial adaptor HCARDU0011)

Schematic:

Component Location:

1 x 10K resistor (Brn, Blk, Blk, Red) - Solder to pad R1
1 x 470R resistor (Yel, Pur, Blk, Blk) - Solder to pad R2
2 x 22pF ceramic capacitors (labelled 22) - Solder to pads C2 & C3
3 x 100nF ceramic capacitors (labelled 104) - Solder to pads C1, C4 & C5
1 x 16MHz Crystal - Solder to pad Xtal
1 x 28 pin DIL socket - Solder to pad U1 with notch facing ICSP header
1 x Miniature push button - Solder to pad SW1, note orientation of component in completed image.
1 x 3mm LED - Solder to pad L. Note flat edge of LED should face edge of PCB
2 x 6 pin Arduino header - Reference completed bored image for correct positioning.
2 x 8 pin Arduino header - Reference completed bored image for correct positioning.
1 x 11 pin SIL header - Snap into 5 way, and 2 x 3 way pieces and solder to programmer and ICSP pads

Order yours here.

Addington

Re: Hobby Components Arduino Compatible Sketch Pad (HCBYOK00

Post by Addington » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi, I have just received a sketchpad kit. I ordered the NANO option and expected the packet to confirm this, but the two labels say HCBYOK0002: The front label dated 2017 May 26 and the rear label that reads "For full build guide, please go to: ...."

I intend to use your serial programmer HCARDU0011, which I recently purchased, and would like to avoid the frustration caused by having the wrong bootloader.

How can I be sure that I've got the correct chip?

All the best,

Addington ORDER GRREYTXGL, INVOICE 173994 #IN007634

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:39 pm

The Nano option is by far the most popular choice so the kits are programmed with the Nano bootloader by default. As a result we don't bother keeping stocks of the Uno version and just re-flash them to order.

So the short answer is if you didn't specify the Uno bootloader it won't have been reprogrammed and will have been sent out with the default option.

For the long answer there is no visual way to confirm which bootloader you have. The only thing you can visually check is that it has one as the LED connected to D13 should flash when powered up. If it does then you should be able to upload a sketch with 'Nano' selected as the board type in the Arduino IDE. If it was flashed with anything other than the Nano bootloader the sketch will not upload.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Addington

Post by Addington » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:38 pm

Many thanks, Andrew, for your prompt and reassuring reply.

Although what follows belongs in another thread, I can't wait to tell you that I've built the Maze Runner and it runs really well. Fantastic. Congratulations for designing and supplying such a superb kit.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:12 am

Thanks for the feedback, you must have built it very quickly indeed! I'll look forward to your comments. You can either post them in the Maze runner thread if relevant, or alternatively in the community projects or general discussion forums where you can just create your own topic.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Return to “Kits”