Pic - K150 ICSP Programmer (HCDVBD0002)

Microchip PIC development boards and accessories
Tawman

Re: Pic - K150 ICSP Programmer (HCDVBD0002)

Post by Tawman » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:07 pm

I don't know whether this helps or not, but the reset fails irrespective of a chip being in the programmer. also does not make any difference what chip is selected........

simielk

Post by simielk » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:42 pm

Hi Tawman
If i use ''Reset Programmer'' button I'm getting the same warning message , but the programmer is working ok .

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:18 am

I have pulled one out of stock and checked it against the software with a 16F877A and it worked fine so we can rule out any batch changes. We have also seen on occasion the reset error but ignoring the error and continuing to program the device still worked. If possible can you rule out a USB cable issue by trying a different cable? Are you able read the contents of the device ok? When you do this does software complain that it cannot recognise the device?
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Tawman

Post by Tawman » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:46 pm

HI,
OK, I have spent quite a while with this now and I can confirm that my laptop and desktop are both doing the same thing.

I programmed a chip (16F628A) without code protection using MPLAB and PicKit 3. The chip programmed and verified.

I then read the chip using your software and board - the read looked good as far as I can tell. Using a second chip I erased it and then attempted to program it using the code I had just read from the mplab programmed chip.

It generated the error at the end indicating that the EEPROM had a problem. Using the laptop and desktop side by side I can confirm that the flash code looks good but the EEPROM has not programmed correctly - exactly as the error reported.

I also tried it with a different USB cable on the laptop, result was exactly as above.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:32 pm

If you are able to read the devices ok then this narrows it down to a programming issue. From the information you have given us you have managed to rule out a lot of possibilities and so you may want to consider returning it back to us for testing. If you decide to do this please email us a sales @ hobbycomponents.com referencing your order number and will provide you with information and terms on how to return it back to us. If the board is faulty we can cover return postage fees.

If you don't want to return it just yet, and you have a multimeter, you could try to measure the RA5/MCLR/VPP pin whilst the device is being programmed to see if it is at the correct voltage.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Tawman

Post by Tawman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:32 am

With the chip you tried programming (16F877A) did your hex file program any of the EEPROM???

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:51 am

Yes, I manually changed a few values in the EPROM data from within the programmer and they programmed with no problems. Are you able to do an erase (blank) OK?

Tawman

Post by Tawman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:27 pm

Using the utility supplied with the driver I identified the chip in the board as a PL2303 XA/HXA.

On visiting the website the correct driver is identified as v2.1.44.226 as per screenshot
K150 Prolific page.jpg
I have also included a screen shot of the driver I am using
K150 my driver page.jpg

As they are the same I beleive we can rule out a driver issue - assuming of course you are using the same one.

I now think it is time for you to send me a replacement - preferably one you have tried and tested. I will now stop using this forum and contact you through ebay as I do not want them deleting any negative feedback (if necessary) for lack of communication/evidence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:40 pm

OK, sorry we couldn't resolve the problem remotely. We have already replied to you with information on how to return it.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:12 pm

We have now tested one of these programmers with a 16F628A and it programs and verifies with no errors.

Return to “Microchip”