Pic - K150 ICSP Programmer (HCDVBD0002)

Microchip PIC development boards and accessories
ea5dom

Re: Pic - K150 ICSP Programmer (HCDVBD0002)

Post by ea5dom » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi Andrew

I have just got a K150 programmer and got exactly the same error messages that Tawman has reported

Have also updated the Porlofic driver ..... but no luck :(

Running WinXP on this PC. Will try tomorrow in a Win7 system but my idea was to get the programmer running
in the Win XP machine

Any ideas ?

Tawman

Post by Tawman » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi ea5dom,
I have another one on the way that I purchased that has been tested before departure. I will post here tomorrow the results of my findings on both my XP and WIN7 machines.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi ea5dom,

Did you purchase the programmer from us and did you download the software from this forum? I need to ask this as the version of programmer has to match the version of software.

Also what device are you trying to program and are you able to read the device ok?
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Tawman

Post by Tawman » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:18 am

Hi,
Let me say first, congratulations on getting the replacement I purchased to me so quickly.

As promised the results of my testing - only on XP machine - too depressed to carry on testing.............

The replacement board unfortunately is exactly the same as the first one, reads a chip fine but will not program the EEPROM correctly.

Also still get the reset error message. In fact nothing has changed.

The bit I dont understand, this board was supposedly tested before despatch with a 16f628A, that being the case why is it not working now??????????????

Andrew, are you using the same drivers as us? If you are, then there must be something you have that we dont - as I am not the only one with the problem it seems unlikely that 2 of us have got it wrong.

Please can you verify the driver you are using and if possible try this on a machine that has not previously had a version installed??

ea5dom

Post by ea5dom » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:53 am

Thank you for the info Tawman

Sorry to see that the problem is not fixed with a new device

Andrew. The device was purchased to Hobby Components by eBay
Invoice 14490 2013 Jul 16

Yes, I downloaded the software from this forum. Version reports V150807

I tested again the K150 today and the Prolofic driver changed the com port from com3 (yesterday) to com4 (today)
Surprisingly there is no error message today and software reports K150 board connected

BUT when trying to read a programmed 16F628A message shows
"The programmer does not recognise the [16F628A] processor. Continue anyway ?"

I press YES and the K150 reads all zeros. Tried to program a 16F628A and get a message
"Received data error. About to apply reset"

So, it doesn't work reading or programming at least this device 16F628A

ea5dom

Post by ea5dom » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:24 am

Good news

It was my fault ! :oops:

I was using the K150 with the USB cable on the bottom side, so Pin 1 of the device shocket apparently was close to the
flat cable connector on board. There is no indication for Pin1 in the shocket and the picture shown in the software do not
clear this issue

As a final test I tried to suppose that Pin 1 is close to the lever of the shocket. This way it works perfect
No problems to read and program the device

Hope Tawman is getting the same problem

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:49 am

ea5dom,

Thanks for confirming that your programmer is working ok. It is a big help you were also using a 16F628A as it helps rule out a few possibilities.

Tawman,

To confirm, the programmer you have received today has been tested by myself before we sent it to you. I did a test read and write to the programmer and changed a couple of values in the eeprom. it was tested with both a 16F877A and 16F877 and it programmed and verified with no errors.
I’m setting one up on a ‘clean’ computer now to see if I can replicate your error. It would be very helpful if you could let me know what version of operating system you are using and if it is 32 or 64 bit? I will try and narrow down what is different about the conditions under which you are using the programmer that differs to ours. However I should point out, as before you are free to return the programmer for a full refund at any time.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Tawman

Post by Tawman » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:34 pm

Hi Andrew,
Thanks again for the offer of the refund, but I really want to get this to work. I am using XP with service pack 3, the software was downloaded from forum here. I have checked the drivers as per a previous post.

I can confirm I do have the board the right way round. Reading a chip programmed with mplab and pickit3 seems perfect. Ignoring the reset errors it is only on writing that there is a problem. I thought it was only with the EEPROM but after readingback a failed write I noticed that the fuse settings are also incorrect - not sure if this helps.....

I do have another PC with Vista, another laptop with Vista and an old laptop that has XP. The 2 vista machines are pretty clean so if you think it might help I can try it on one of them.

Look forward to hearing how you get on with your clean install.......

Tawman

Post by Tawman » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:36 pm

Sorry. forgot the bit about the OS, it is 32bit on my XP machine and 64bit on my Win7 Laptop.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:49 pm

I think I’ve managed to figure out a solution. On a clean setup I can replicate your reported error with a 16F628A when attempting to write to more than one eeprom memory location. It seems to be a timing issue. To fix this you will need to edit the ‘chipdata.cid’ file that should be in the same folder as your microbrn software. Open this file in a text editor and search for ‘16F628A’. Under the settings for this device you will see a value for ProgramDelay. Try changing this to 70, then save the file and restart the software. Hopefully this will work, if not try increasing the value to something slightly higher.

Return to “Microchip”