USBASP AVR programmer + Adaptor (HCDVBD0031)

Atmel microcontroller development boards and accessories
admin
Site Admin

USBASP AVR programmer + Adaptor (HCDVBD0031)

Post by admin » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:27 pm

A compact USB in-circuit programmer (HCDVBD0031) specifically designed to program most versions of Atmel AVR microcontrollers. The programmer plugs straight into a USB port on your computer and features the standard Atmel 10 pin ICSP IDC header. With the included IDC cable this allows it to connect directly to many types of Atmel development boards. We have also included a 10 to 6 pin adapter to allow it to be compatible with the standard 6 pin ICSP header. This includes most types of Arduino development boards such as the Uno, Nano, Mega, etc.

Additionally we have reprogrammed the firmware to allow it to be directly compatible with the Arduino IDE (simply select Tools->Programmer->USBasp) - the standard firmware is NOT compatible with the latest versions of the Arduino IDE.

Features:
Compatible with most types of Atmel AVR microcontrollers (see list)
Standard 10 pin ICSP header
Included ICSP cable for solderless connection to your development board
Included 10 to 6 pin adapter
Configurable 5V and 3V power supply
LED power and programming indicators
Compatible with AVRDude and Arduino IDE

Supported devices:

ATMega
ATmega168 ATmega168A ATmega168P ATmega168PA ATmega328
ATmega328P ATmega103 ATmega128 ATmega128P ATmega1280
ATmega1281 ATmega16 ATmega16A ATmega161 ATmega162
ATmega163 ATmega164 ATmega164A ATmega164P ATmega164PA
ATmega169 ATmega169A ATmega169P ATmega169PA ATmega2560
ATmega2561 ATmega32 ATmega32A ATmega324 ATmega324A
ATmega324P ATmega324PA ATmega329 ATmega329A ATmega329P
ATmega329PA ATmega3290 ATmega3290A ATmega3290P ATmega64
ATmega8 ATmega8A ATmega48 ATmega48A ATmega48P
ATmega64A ATmega640 ATmega644 ATmega644A ATmega644P
ATmega644PA ATmega649 ATmega649A ATmega649P ATmega6490
ATmega48PA ATmega88 ATmega88A ATmega88P ATmega88PA
ATmega6490A ATmega6490P ATmega8515 ATmega8535

ATTiny
ATtiny12 ATtiny13 ATtiny13A ATtiny15 ATtiny25
ATtiny26 ATtiny45 ATtiny85 ATtiny2313 ATtiny2313A

Older Devices
AT90S1200 AT90S2313 AT90S2333 AT90S2343 AT90S4414
AT90S4433 AT90S4434 AT90S8515 AT90S8535

Pinouts:

USBasp:

10 pin IDC
1)..............MOSI
2)..............VCC (5V/3.3V via JP1)
3)..............GND
4)..............TXD
5)..............RESET
6)..............RXD
7)..............SCK
8)..............GND
9)..............MISO
10)............GND

JP1:
Target power supply jumper. Selects between 3.3V and 5V power supply to target board.

JP2:
Self programming mode. Short to reprogram USBasp firmware

JP3:
Slow clock mode. Short if target clock is lower than 1.5MHz

R LED or LED 2:
Illuminated when programming device.

G LED or LED1:
Power indicator.

Windows drivers:

To use your programmer with the Windows operating system you will first need to install a driver. To do this you can use the Zadig driver install utility which can be downloaded here:
zadig-2.3.zip
The latest version of this utility can be downlaoded directly from the Zadig website here:

http://zadig.akeo.ie/

1) Plug your programmer into a USB port on your computer Windows may complain that it cannot find a driver but just ignore this message.

2) Run the Zadig utility by double clicking the zadig.exe executable.

3) The Zadig utility should now open up. In the drop down box at the top of the window you should be able to select the programmer. It will normally be listed as 'USBasp'. If you don't see it listed then go to Options->List all devices and try the drop down box again. You can confirm that you have the right device selected by checking that the USB ID text box is showing the correct VID and PID (16C0 & 05DC). Also make sure you have WinUSB (v6.1.xxx.xxxxx) selected for the driver driver version.

4) Click the 'Install Driver' button. This will automatically install a driver for the analyser. You can now close the Zadig window.

Old Drivers (use new Zadig method above):
USBasp_win_x86_x64_v1_2_5.zip

Disclaimer: Libraries, example code, and diagrams are provided as an additional free service by Hobby Components and are not sold as part of this product. We do not provide any guarantees or warranties as to their accuracy or fitness for purpose.

Descriptions and diagrams on this page are copyright Hobby Components Ltd and may not be reproduced without permission.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DaveA

Re: USBASP AVR programmer + Adaptor (HCDVBD0031)

Post by DaveA » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:52 pm

Hi
I was wondering what the pros & cons are between this programmer and the USBTinyISP.

I want to have a dabble at programming the ATtiny85 using your tutorial (where the USBTinyISP programmer is used) and also work through a very good article in the Jan 2018 EPE Magazine which covers a number of simple projects based on the USBTinyISP. My experience so far is limited to the Arduino Uno.

From my limited knowledge, both programmers look as though they would do the job and though neither of them would break the bank, this one is a bit cheaper if all else is equal!

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:46 am

There really isn't much difference between the two. The UABTiny is generally better supported but then as most projects and software tend to use AVRDude as the programmer, which in turn works with both, it's generally not an issue. If you do end up going for the cheaper USBasp a couple pieces of advise (whilst at the same time plugging the one we sell) is that most USBasp's have out of date firmware that isn't supported by the Arduino IDE. We program ours with newer firmware that will work with the Arduino IDE. Secondly, the USBasp only has the 10 pin IDC header whereas the USBTiny has both 10 and 6 pin headers. We ship our USBasp with a 6 pin adapter making it compatible with the Arduino ICSP headers as well as the standard Atmel 10 header.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

deamonata

Post by deamonata » Sun May 05, 2019 3:34 pm

Is this compatible with the ATMega1284p?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon May 06, 2019 7:21 am

It's not one we've tested ourselves but we program the USBasp with the latest version of firmware which supports devices with that size of flash memory. I've also seen examples of the programmer successfully programming that part so I see no obvious reason why it wouldn't work.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

AlanF

Post by AlanF » Wed May 13, 2020 3:16 pm

Hi all,
Feeling a bit "lockdown fatigued" at present (ie being a bit thick). I got a couple of the SKU:HCDVBD0031 USBASP programmers (via Amazon) the other day and tried to use them. I cannot get them to show up as a port number on my PC by using the recommended ZADIG route or other "cures" I have found so far. I am still using Win 7 64 ... for historic reasons ... I did have an original homemade Usbisp from years back but cannot find it, so bought the modern version. I really want it for putting a boot loader onto my Ender 3 (1284 "Sang") as well as other AVR stuff again. Any clues ??

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu May 14, 2020 9:22 am

The USBasp doesn't actually appear as a serial device. Assuming you're using Windows, after you have installed the driver it should appear in device manager under 'Universal serial bus devices' as USBasp.

To program a bootloader (assuming you're trying to do this via the Arduino IDE):

First select the correct board type by going to Tools->Board

No need to select a COM port as there isn't one to select.

Next select the programmer type by going to Tools->Programmer->USBasp

Finally upload the bootloader by selecting Tools->Burn bootloader

Note that when you burn the bootloader it first blanks the chip so any existing sketches will be erased.

AlanF

Post by AlanF » Thu May 14, 2020 6:37 pm

Thanks for the reply. i tried to ignore the lack of COM PORT being reported and selected the USBasp (I think) but a trial attempt to stick a "Blink" onto an UNO board didn't seem to go anywhere ... as i said probably just me being a bit hard of thinking ...

Out of interest, along the way of looking for any clues, I found mention of the firmware being "v 1.5", rather than the now old originals (up to v1,4). I see that you report that there is updated FW on these, would that be simular things? ie support for variable clock rate, for "slow" devices (factory 1MHz)? is that why there is no jumper for that installed ?

Would the "ISPtiny" have been a better choice?

Sorry for all of the questions ...

AlanF

Post by AlanF » Thu May 14, 2020 7:15 pm

Hi (again, sorry)
I think i may have already answered one of my own questions alteady. I didn't want to blow out the boot loader that was in the UNO's 328p, just as a proof of these USBasps, so I had put in a virgin 328p out of a tube as the sacrificial lamb. I now beleive that this is a case of it being a 1MHz factory clock rate - so that brings me back to the question about getting around slow clocks (I used to have the jumper option on my homemade original)

AlanF

Post by AlanF » Thu May 14, 2020 7:20 pm

I should have added that I bit the bullet and tried to ICSP a "blink" onto the UNO's 328p knowing that it was running at 16MHz ... this was successful in that the blink went in OK ... and the boot loaded went out ... hey-ho. I will have to stick that back in as a second proof of programming. Presumably the fuses get done too ???

Return to “Atmel”