USBASP AVR programmer + Adaptor (HCDVBD0031)

Atmel microcontroller development boards and accessories
andrew
Site Admin

Re: USBASP AVR programmer + Adaptor (HCDVBD0031)

Post by andrew » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:12 pm

I've just given your command a try with an ATMega328 and although I do get the same warning I don't get the error and seems to be talking to the device OK.

The 'initialization failed, rc=-1' error is a common generic error and just means 'I can't talk to the device for some reason'. This is normally caused by a physical issue like an incorrect or bad connection to your target device. I'd advise double checking your connections.

I assume you're using the 10 to 6 pin adapter to program it via the Nanos ICSP header? Are you sure you have it connected in the correct orientation?
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

sdcandy

Post by sdcandy » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:20 am

Hi Andrew,

I was using the 10 to 6 pin adapter. It was orientated the correct way (I tried it in both to be sure) but it seems to have been the issue. I have replaced it with a bunch of wires and am now happily programming the Nano.

Next time I have the soldering iron turned on I'm going to touch all the joints to make sure there isn't a bad connection.

-Andy.

scalesr1

Post by scalesr1 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:46 am

Please could you advise - am I am I able to use this with esptool.exe to load a .bin file directly to the attached micro or can I only use it from a dev environment like Arduino IDE where I have to program and upload the code (and hence need the source code)?
I want to know whether I can use these with just .bin files - this will make it easier for users to upload a compiled bin as opposed to messing with Arduino IDE and source.
- Richard

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:02 am

am I am I able to use this with esptool.exe to load a .bin file directly to the attached micro
No, it is only compatible with Atmel AVR devices via their ICSP interface so you can't use it to flash an ESP.

or can I only use it from a dev environment like Arduino IDE where I have to program and upload the code (and hence need the source code)?
It is compatible with the Arduino IDE. You can use it to flash either a bootloader or a sketch to a compatible device.

want to know whether I can use these with just .bin files - this will make it easier for users to upload a compiled bin as opposed to messing with Arduino IDE and source.
Yes, you can use it to flash bin files from the command line via AVRDude. You'll need to have AVRDude installed somewhere and then you can flash a bin file which something like this:

1. > avrdude –c usbasp –p m328p –u –U flash:w:mybinfile.bin
In the above example it will flash mybinfile.bin to an ATMega328p. You can also set fuse bits if required at the same time.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

lovebuny

Post by lovebuny » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:35 pm

does this support ATmega32U4?
i don't see why it wouldn't but it's not on the list. just want to check before i buy
also what firmware does it ship with, is it still 1.04?
edit: looked into it, 1.07 is stable, 1.05 was a bugfix, 1.06 added automatic SCK slowing, and 1.07 fixed a bug in said slowing.
i wouldn't recommend v1.08 or newer yet because they entirely change the usb implementation so it works on windows default drivers, but default windows avrdude builds don't currently support it.
Last edited by lovebuny on Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:48 am

does this support ATmega32U4?
Yes I can confirm this programmer will program the ATMega32U4.

lovebuny

Post by lovebuny » Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:34 pm

OK here's some nitpicking. The one I received from your Amazon store doesn't quite look like the picture.
The 10 pin header is mounted so the cable points back toward the USB port (a minor inconvenience), it doesn't say "USBASP V2.0" on it, and the board layout itself is different. Looks like the AliExpress ones...
I guess this version is easier for you to assemble and package though?
It got here quickly and works perfectly so I can't complain really. Thanks :D
Plus it came with a (slightly off-center) resistor band cheatsheet :)
Last edited by lovebuny on Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dioannidis

Post by dioannidis » Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:09 pm

Hi,
lovebuny wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:35 pm
<snip>
i wouldn't recommend v1.08 or newer yet because they entirely change the usb implementation so it works on windows default drivers, but default windows avrdude builds don't currently support it.
The v1.08 doesn't change USBasp to appear / be a composite usb device, so it works fine with avrdude with automatic WINUSB driver selection using WCID .

As for v1.09 and above, those FWs work fine with the mingw windows avrdude builds ( you can use this windows build https://github.com/mcuee/avrdude/releases/tag/v7.1 ). Is expected that avrdude to add support for composite usb devices in version 7.2 ...

PS: ( from v1.08 and above, the usb implementation didn't change, just the enumeration procedure .... )

regards,

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:17 pm

OK here's some nitpicking. The one I received from your Amazon store doesn't quite look like the picture.
The 10 pin header is mounted so the cable points back toward the USB port (a minor inconvenience), it doesn't say "USBASP V2.0" on it, and the board layout itself is different.
Sorry about that. This product isn't actually manufactured by use and due to cost/supply issues we've had to replace it with a functionally equivalent alternative, with the main difference as you point out being the position of the 10 pin header. We'll get the image updated shortly.

With regards to the direction of the cable, you can just swap the ends around and the cable at the module end should then just point away from the USB connector.

also what firmware does it ship with, is it still 1.04?
We flash these devices ourselves with Version 1.4.

Plus it came with a (slightly off-center) resistor band cheatsheet :)
The card is just a freebie. It is partly to mitigate some of the anonymity of selling products on Amazon but we thought we would also stick some useful information on.

lovebuny

Post by lovebuny » Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:57 pm

yeah sorry i was just joking with that last bit

Return to “Atmel”