USBASP AVR programmer + Adaptor (HCDVBD0031)

Atmel microcontroller development boards and accessories
andrew
Site Admin

Re: USBASP AVR programmer + Adaptor (HCDVBD0031)

Post by andrew » Fri May 15, 2020 8:42 am

Out of interest, along the way of looking for any clues, I found mention of the firmware being "v 1.5", rather than the now old originals (up to v1,4). I see that you report that there is updated FW on these, would that be simular things?
They are currently shipped with V1.4 which is the latest official version. I'm not aware of a V1.5 and if it exists then my guess is it's an unofficial version or beta.

is that why there is no jumper for that installed ?
Although there are no header pins fitted to jumper J3 it is still functional. Shorting the pads together will slow down the clock rate

Would the "ISPtiny" have been a better choice?
Not really unless you have a compelling reason to use the USBisp over the asp.

I now beleive that this is a case of it being a 1MHz factory clock rate - so that brings me back to the question about getting around slow clocks (I used to have the jumper option on my homemade original)

You shouldn't need to slow the programming clock rate down to program an ATMega328. Just do the follow steps via the Arduino IDE to burn the bootloader:

1) Connect the UASBasp to your Uno or ATMega328

2) Select tools->Board->Arduino/Genuino Uno

3) Select tools->programmer->UASBasp

4) Select tools->Burn bootloader

It will then just burn the Uno bootloader into your device. It's really that simple.

... this was successful in that the blink went in OK ... and the boot loaded went out ... hey-ho. I will have to stick that back in as a second proof of programming.
Using the Arduino IDE you can only program the bootloader or a sketch at any one time. Remember it blanks the chip first and so will wipe anything you had previously programmed. So if you burn the bootloader you will have no sketch and if you burn a sketch you will have no bootloader. To get both you have to burn the bootloader fist using the USBasp then upload a sketch in the normal way using the devices serial interface.

TBH if you're using the USBasp to upload sketches then there's no point in having the bootloader as it only takes up space and takes longer for the device to restart after a reset.

Presumably the fuses get done too ???
Yes the Arduino IDE actually uses AVRdude in the background to do the programming. The fuse settings are passed to AVRdude via the command line.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

AlanF

Post by AlanF » Fri May 15, 2020 8:21 pm

Wow. Thanks for all of that reply ... I now feel very guilty for being so needy ...

Wonderful service!

AlanF

Post by AlanF » Fri May 15, 2020 9:13 pm

Just as a confirmation.

I tried to stick a boot-loader onto a factory-fresh (1MHz) 328p, just as an exercise- it threw the " no reply" thing
I then put a jumper-link into the vacant JP3 position, tried the same - all went well (no errors thrown, anyway)
I used the usual usb input to the UNO (ish) to upload a "Blink" to prove if it was there, or not. It worked as expected.

I will now leave it with that option, and cut a hole in the small case I printed.

Again, I thank you for your patience.

jack50n

Post by jack50n » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:10 pm

Hi

Can anyone tell me if this usbasp supports the 328pb variant?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:40 am

I believe The ATMega328-PB is a relatively new variant of the 328. I've not tested that actual part myself yet but I see no reason why the USBasp would not be able to program it. The only caveat is that being a relatively new part you'll need to make sure your version of AVRDude supports it. Just check its config file to see if the PB variant is in there.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

steve1001

Post by steve1001 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:18 pm

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I received the HCDVBD0031 UsbAsp today (I purchased it via Amazon, for a speedy delivery).
I plugged the device into a Windows 7 machine. Windows presents the message 'Usb Device Not Recognised'.
In Device Manager, the device is showing up as 'Unknown Device'.

I ran Zadig 2.3 and 2.5. When I select 'Unknown Device' in the Zadig drop down box, the VID and PID boxes show zeroes. If I try to install the winusb v6.1xxx driver, I get a 'driver installation failed' message.

There are no leds lit on the UsbAsp board. However, if I connect the UsbAsp to the ICSP header on a Mega2560, the Mega leds light up, and the Mega appears to be getting power from the UsbAsp.

I am suspecting a faulty board: but is there anything else I can try?

Thanks in anticipation.

Steve

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:03 am

Both LEDs are controlled by the microcontroller. It sounds like the board is getting power so if the LEDs aren't lighting then it probably means the microcontroller isn't running for some reason. The most likeliest cause is the 12MHz crystal. Sometimes flux can get under the crystal and cause it to stop working. If you have a soldering iron you could try carefully lifting the crystal off the PCB by heating each pad of the crystal and gently lifting each side slightly.

Failing that then it is likely that something is physically wrong with it I'm afraid. If this is the case you contact us either via Amazon or directly to sales [at] hobbycomponents.com to sort out a replacement or refund.

kenco

Post by kenco » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:58 pm

HI GOT ONE OF THESE IN WITH TARGET BOARD WEB PAGE SAYS THERE SHOULD BE A GREEN LED POWER LIGHT AND A RED LED TRANSMITT LIGHT THAT BLINKS ON MINE I HAVE ONLY A SOLID RED LED NO GREEN ONE LIGHTS IS THIS BOARD FAULTY NO REPLY FROM EMAIL YET AS WITH OTHER ITEMS QUEERIES THAT MAY BE FAULTY

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:50 pm

WEB PAGE SAYS THERE SHOULD BE A GREEN LED POWER LIGHT AND A RED LED TRANSMITT LIGHT THAT BLINKS ON MINE I HAVE ONLY A SOLID RED LED NO GREEN ONE LIGHTS
Sorry to hear you're having issues. On the latest batches both the power and programming LED are red so what you are reporting is what I'd expect to see when you first plug it in. I'll get the description updated shortly to reflect this.

Is this the only problem you are having with the programmer or are you having issues getting it to work?

NO REPLY FROM EMAIL YET AS WITH OTHER ITEMS QUEERIES THAT MAY BE FAULTY
I've checked our email but I'm afraid I cant find any message from you. Can I ask what email address you sent it to?

sdcandy

Post by sdcandy » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:18 am

I'm trying to use one of these devices (bought from Amazon and arrived today) to reprogram an Atmel ATMega328P based Arduino Nano. I am using avrdude v6.3 under Linux with the command line:

Code: Select all

sudo avrdude -p m328p -c usbasp -B 0.5 -v -v -e
It responds with a bunch of output which ends:

Code: Select all

avrdude: try to set SCK period to 5e-07 s (= 2000000 Hz)
avrdude: set SCK frequency to 1500000 Hz
avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: error: program enable: target doesn't answer. 1 
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Any ideas?

-Andy.

Return to “Atmel”