84 x 48 LCD Display / Nokia 5110 - (HCMODU0105)

LCD, TFT, OLED, LED modules
admin
Site Admin

84 x 48 LCD Display / Nokia 5110 - (HCMODU0105)

Post by admin » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:59 am

This is a tiny monochrome 84 x 48 pixel LCD screen based on the PCD544 controller. This screen was originally designed for the Nokia 5110 mobile phone popular in the early 2000’s hence why this screen is also referred to as the Nokia 5110 LCD. It has been repurposed as a microcontroller LCD module due to its low price and simple serial interface. It is therefore ideal for basic microcontroller or Arduino projects requiring a small footprint and low cost.

The screen is transflective meaning it is visible in daylight without needing a backlight, however it also incorporates 4 LEDs positioned at each corner of the screen for low light conditions. These LEDs do lack the even light distribution of a standard backlight but do have the advantage of making the backlight very low power requiring only 4mA . This means it can be directly powered from an IO pin of most microcontrollers (please check your microcontroller specification before connection to an IO pin).

Interfacing to the display requires a simple 2 wire serial clock and data pin with 2 additional control pins for data/command and chip enable.

For Arduino users this display is supported by our HCDisplay library. See example below.

PLEASE NOTE: If you are using this display with a 5V microcontroller we recommend using level shifters.

Supplied with 8 pin 0.1" pitch header NOT SOLDERED

Specification
Product code: HCMODU0105 or HCMODU0105B
Display controller: PCD544 aka Nokia 5110 LCD
Resolution: 84 x 48 pixel
Supply Voltage: 5V
Supply current (backlight on): ~5mA
Supply current (backlight off): ~500uA
Supply current (HCDisplay.Sleep(ON)): ~2uA
Module type A dimensions (ex pin header): 43mm x 44mm x 6mm
Module type B dimensions (ex pin header): 45mm x 45mm x 6mm
Bezel dimensions: 40mm x 34mm
Backlight LED colour (type A): Blue
Backlight LED colour (type B): White

The module is currently available with two pinout types.

Pinout Type A
RST………Reset pin (active low)
CE………..Chip enable (active low)
DC………..Data/Command control (high = data)
DIN……….Data in
CLK………Clock in
VCC………3.3V
LIGHT……Backlight (GND = on)
GND………GND

Pinout Type B
VCC………3.3V
GND….…GND
SCE….…..Chip enable (active low)
RST…….…Reset pin (active low)
D/C……..Data/Command control (high = data)
DN…….….Data in
SCLK……Clock in
LED…....…Backlight (VCC = on)

Arduino HCDisplay example

Image Image

1. #include "HCDisplay.h"
  3. // Default I2C address
  4. #define RST_PIN      3
  5. #define CE_PIN       4
  6. #define DC_PIN       5
  7. #define DIN_PIN      6
  8. #define CLK_PIN      7
  9. #define BL_PIN       8
  11. // Creates an instance of the HCDisplay library
  12. HCDisplay HCDisplay;    
  15. void setup()
  16. {
  17.   // Initialise the display
  18.   HCDisplay.Init(DIN_PIN, CLK_PIN, RST_PIN, CE_PIN, DC_PIN, BL_PIN);
  19.   HCDisplay.Backlight(ON);
  21.   // Print some text
  22.   HCDisplay.Pos(22,4);
  23.   HCDisplay.Print("HOBBY");
  25.   HCDisplay.Pos(2,14);
  26.   HCDisplay.Print("COMPONENTS");
  28.   HCDisplay.SetFont(Tiny_6ptFont);
  29.   HCDisplay.Pos(8,30);
  30.   HCDisplay.Print("PCD8544 DISPLAY");
  32.   HCDisplay.Pos(20,40);
  33.   HCDisplay.Print("HCMODU0105");
  34. }
  36. void loop()
  37. {
  39. }

HCDisplay Arduino library:

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=2827

Libraries, example code, and diagrams are provided as an additional free service by Hobby Components and are not sold as part of this product. We do no provide any guarantees or warranties as to their accuracy or fitness for purpose.

Descriptions and diagrams on this page are copyright Hobby Components Ltd and may not be reproduced without permission.

oldmaker

Re: 84 x 48 LCD Display / Nokia 5110 - (HCMODU0105)

Post by oldmaker » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:49 pm

I have recently puchased the NOKIA type B display.
I am experiencing difficulty displaying the example given
I have connected according to the diagram given
I am using the latest version of the HCDisplay library.
Nothing is displayed.
This example works for the type A display.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:09 am

I have connected according to the diagram given
I am using the latest version of the HCDisplay library.
Nothing is displayed.
This example works for the type A display.

I’ve checked the sketch and library and it seems to be working fine so assuming that you are not seeing any compile errors it shouldn’t be a software issue.

One thing to note is that on the type B, the backlight pin is inverted. It should still be possible to see the text without the backlight so I doubt it’s that but thought I’d best mention it just in case that’s the issue. You can fix this in the sketch by adding the following defines at the top of the sketch:

#define ON false
#define OFF true

As you’re able to check your setup against another screen, the next thing that comes is a loose bezel. We do actually check every Nokia display ourselves for this but it is possible for the metal bezel that holds the actual screen against the PCB to come loose in transit.

Could you try applying a little pressure to the bezel whilst resetting your sketch? If it suddenly starts working then the bezels tabs on the back of the module may need a little tightening. You can use a small pair of pliers to do this.

oldmaker

Post by oldmaker » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:29 am

Thanks for your reply;
I can control the backlight from the sketch in the way you describe. So no compile errors.
Will try again and do what you suggest but maybe I've damaged the device in some way - I am operating at 3.3v using a Pro-Mini so can't have blown the pins.

oldmaker

Post by oldmaker » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:30 pm

Further to my post today. I removed the bezel and noticed that there is no connections between the the display and the breakout board pc. Back of the display itself there is just a rubber pad where the contacts should be.

Here's a photo
NOKIA_DISPLAY copy.jpg
best regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:01 am

. I removed the bezel and noticed that there is no connections between the the display and the breakout board pc. Back of the display itself there is just a rubber pad where the contacts should be.

Yes, that rubber strip is actually the thing that connects the LCD substrate to the PCB. If you look closer you'll see that it has lots of little dark conductive bands running through it. It’s called an elastomeric connector or Zebra connector. Here is a Wikipedia page about it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastomeric_connector

This is how most LCD displays of this type do this and it relies on the bezel or case to keep things sandwiched together.

It's really important that you don't get any dirt/grease/dust on those contacts and I'd advise against removing that strip from the LCD itself as in past experience it's very difficult to get it all lined up and working again afterwards.

Did you have any luck getting it to work after applying more pressure to the bezel?
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

oldmaker

Post by oldmaker » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:46 pm

I tightened the tabs on holding the bezel to the pcb whilst pressing firmly on the bezel.
It now works! I think I will solder the tabs in place to make sure.
Thanks for the advice.

I also noticed by accident that that the display works perfectly without Vcc being connected.
Although it takes about 120uA into the Vcc pin when connected.
Obviously Vcc needs to be connected if the Backlight is required.

Thanks for your help - great service

Return to “Display”