Serial I2C LCD 1602 Module (HCARDU0023)

LCD, TFT, OLED, LED modules
raschemmel@yahoo.com

Re: YwRobot Serial I2C LCD 1602 Module (HCARDU0023)

Post by raschemmel@yahoo.com » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:41 pm

I just got the same display, exactly like the photo posted and couldn't find any code that worked on the net. I'm new at programming so
there's no way I could do it. I saw the photo of the one with the Hobby Components URL on it an thought I hit the jackpot
so I:
1. connected the pullups to A4 & A5
2. and downloaded the zip file and copied the Keywords.txt and LiquidCrystal_I2C.h to the My Documents\Arduino\Libraries\LiquidCrystal_I2C folder 3. opened the IDE and selected Sketch\add file and selected the "ARD_LCD_HCARDU0023_I2C_Hello_World_Example"

Result: numerous compile errors.
I'm so new at this I'm probably doing something wrong.

Any thoughts?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:41 pm

There should be more files in the downloaded library folder. Most important of which is a file called LiquidCrystal_I2C.cpp

Check you have these files and that they have been copied to your My Documents\Arduino\Libraries\LiquidCrystal_I2C folder.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

raschemmel@yahoo.com

Post by raschemmel@yahoo.com » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:17 pm

I'm a bit confused about the libraries for the YwRobot I2C LCD.
I've found 3 different links , two of them point to a library called LCDI2C, the other to one called Liquidcrystal_I2C.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://bitbucket.org/pfeerick/web4robo ... controller
(LCDI2C)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
https://bitbucket.org/pfeerick/web4robo ... ?at=master
(LCDI2C)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://bitbucket.org/fmalpartida/new-l ... /downloads
(Liquidcrystal_I2C)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as I can surmise, the procedure is unzip them and copy the folder to C:\Program Files\Arduino\Libraries (32bit)
or C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\Libraries (64bit).
Am I to assume that the only files really necessary in THAT folder are the *.h file and the Keywords.txt and ALL the
OTHER files (and there are many) can go anywhere temporarily but eventually get converted to a *.ino file in
My Documents\Arduino\Libraries ?
Are there any other instructions that are not explicitly stated or are they many assumptions about what the individual
downloading it knows in terms of what to do with the files ? I'm new at this so I don't know what is expected of me
when I download something like this. Would anyone care to enlighten me ?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:36 am

I'm a bit confused about the libraries for the YwRobot I2C LCD.
I've found 3 different links , two of them point to a library called LCDI2C, the other to one called Liquidcrystal_I2C.
You need to download the library that is attached to the first post in this thread. It is important to use this version, if your LCD is the same make as the one we sell, as libraries downloaded from elsewhere may not work correctly.
As far as I can surmise, the procedure is unzip them and copy the folder to C:\Program Files\Arduino\Libraries (32bit)
or C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\Libraries (64bit).
Correct.
Am I to assume that the only files really necessary in THAT folder are the *.h file and the Keywords.txt and ALL the
OTHER files (and there are many) can go anywhere temporarily but eventually get converted to a *.ino file in
My Documents\Arduino\Libraries ?
No, generally the entire contents of the folder, including the folder itself, must be copied to the libraries folder. The .cpp file is very important as it contains the actual code of the library.
Are there any other instructions that are not explicitly stated or are they many assumptions about what the individual
downloading it knows in terms of what to do with the files ? I'm new at this so I don't know what is expected of me
when I download something like this. Would anyone care to enlighten me ?
The official Arduino website has some great tutorials and instructions on how to use the Arduino development environment. The following link will explain about how to install libraries: http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Libraries

I recommend using the manual install method
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

sergiocntr

Post by sergiocntr » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:03 pm

Hi all.
The LCD display works very well.
The support service is excellent too.
Please,could someone post some code for the raspberry?
I followed the instructions as per tech2077 blog but I'm not so goo for let it works.
Tkank you very much.

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:08 pm

Hi Andrew.
I've moved my post here to the general section.

DenPit5

Post by DenPit5 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:53 pm

Is there any difference between the library for this model and the library for the I2C 20 x 4 LCD display.?

DenPit5

Post by DenPit5 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:53 pm

Is there any difference between the library for this model and the library for the I2C 16 x 2 LCD display.?

harpop

Post by harpop » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:48 pm

Awesome!!!
Setup in no time with the included library.
The examples included in the download were very helpful also.

simon391088

Re: Serial I2C LCD 1602 Module (HCARDU0023)

Post by simon391088 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:13 pm

Hi,

For those new to the Arduino, note that the analog pins you need are marked A4 and A5.

Thanks
Simon

Return to “Display”