Arduino Compatible Pro Mini (HCARDU0059 & HCARDU0081)

Alban

Re: Arduino - Pro Mini (HCARDU0059 & HCARDU0081)

Post by Alban » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:01 pm

Hi all, Sorry i'm not used to post ...i have just a question regarding the wiring with the pro mini (5v) and the USB serial port download adapter(HCARDU0011)
i'd like just a confirmation if someone knows ?
Pro Mini----> Serial port download Adapter
DTR ---------> DTR
TX ---------> RX
RX------------>TX
VCC----------> 3.3 V
GND(1)------>Ground
GND(2) ------>Not connected
---------------->THE "VBUS" pin on the download adapter must not be connected ?
i have found a link to a picture that could help but it is for the pro mini 3.3 V i suppose it doesn't matter ?
http://weworkweplay.com/play/connect-jy ... atmega328/
thank to all ...excuse my english writing for errors.
@lban

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:57 am

That is almost correct, but if you have the 5V version you should connect the Vbus pin to VCC not the 3.3V pin as this will supply 5V to the pro mini.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Alban

Post by Alban » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:06 pm

Thank you very much Andrew for your reply . I am going to try your configuration for a "pro mini 5 Volt" and the USB Serial Port Download adapter(HCARDU0011)
so i have connected the VBUS Pin of the USB download adapter to the VCC of the "pro mini 5V"

It work !!!!! OK ....you're Great !!!!
i did a simple sketch with a led to test the donwload side I's OK ....Every thing runs Ok no errors neither at downloading neither at the execution ...
Thank you again ....

oe1gca

Re: Arduino Compatible Pro Mini (HCARDU0059 & HCARDU0081)

Post by oe1gca » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:38 pm

Hi!

I'm wondering if nobody found the error in the Arduino Pro Mini pin-out picture?

PC4/27/A4 is SDA not SCL!

Regards
Gerhard
--

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:37 am

Good spot :) I'll get a note added to the first post.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Paul Ridd

Post by Paul Ridd » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:51 pm

Hi Andrew

My pro mini used to work fine but now won't talk to me
I've given up on my sketch and tried the standard Blink sketch but it also gives

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

with shift pressed it becomes

avrdude: error: could not find USB device "USBasp" with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc

So I presumed I've fried the poor chip so bought new and tried again.
Brand new pro mini 5v. Brand new adapter. Windows 7.

Reading your posts led me to http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm where I downloaded and ran the application CDM v2.12.10 WHQL Certified to no avail.

Also downloaded usbasp-windriver.2011-05-28 from http://www.robogyan.com/installing-driv ... vista.html

I have checked the board is correct and the serial port is COM9 which appears and disappears as it should

In Device Manager I have listed under Ports (COM & LPT)
Arduino Uno (COM7) which works fine
RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM3)
RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM4)
USB Serial Port (COM9)

Device status is "This device is working properly"

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:25 am

I can see that you have bought two FTDI adaptors from us but can I just confirm that you have tried two FTDI adaptors and they are the ones purchased from us? The reason I ask is that the VID and PID you're seeing doesn't match the ones for our adaptors. If it is one of our FTDI based adaptors then you will need the FTDI VCP driver from the FTDI website. I doubt very much that the USBasp driver will work with it.

Paul Ridd

Post by Paul Ridd » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:36 am

Hi Andrew

Thanks for getting back. Both Pro Minis and the FTDI adapters are from you. As you saw i bought 2 adapters in error in Jan this year. Used 1 with great success - so much so I posted on GY-5150 / MPU-9150 9-Axis Accel Gyro & Compass (HCMODU0064) - but coming back to the project this autumn we have problems so it was nice to have an unopened spare.
Following the notes from http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documen ... ndows7.pdf
the device appears as it should ie not as an unrecognised device but I reinstalled it again anyway. The message was not Installation Complete but 'the best driver software is already installed' In Properties it is listed as a FTDI on USB Serial Converter.

The workaround of pressing reset on the Pro Mini works but I need to run an Accelerometer calibration sketch and save then a magnetrometer sketch an save. Only then does the sketch for the MPU-9150 work accurately. I presume reset clears these areas as well?

Paul Ridd

Post by Paul Ridd » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:46 pm

Hi Andrew. Reset doesn't clear the chip - it just restarts the program so I'm fine with the reset workaround. Unless you think differently.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:56 pm

The message was not Installation Complete but 'the best driver software is already installed' In Properties it is listed as a FTDI on USB Serial Converter.
That seems ok to me but a tip if you want force windows to reinstall the driver is to locate the device in device manager, right click on and and select 'uninstall'. Then check the 'Delete the driver software for this device' before clicking ok. This will delete the driver and stop windows from automatically reinstalling it again.
The workaround of pressing reset on the Pro Mini works but I need to run an Accelerometer calibration sketch and save then a magnetrometer sketch an save. Only then does the sketch for the MPU-9150 work accurately. I presume reset clears these areas as well?
Pressing the reset button will only clear any data stored in SRAM. Anything stored in the Pro Mini's FLASH or EEPROM will not be erased. If the Arduino IDE is programming it ok when you manually reset then it sounds like you either don't have the DTR pin connected or there is a bad connection with it. Check that you have a good connection from the DTR pin on the FTDI adaptor and the DTR pin on the Pro Mini (it's one of the corner pads).

Return to “Arduino Development Boards”