Arduino compatible Nano with CH340 USB IC (HCARDU0094)

admin
Site Admin

Arduino compatible Nano with CH340 USB IC (HCARDU0094)

Post by admin » Wed May 13, 2015 1:22 pm

The Arduino Nano is a small, complete, and breadboard-friendly board based on the ATmega328. It has more or less the same functionality of the Arduino Duemilanove, but in a different package. It lacks only a DC power jack, and works with a Mini-B USB cable instead of a standard one. The version of the nano differs in that it doesn't use the standard FTDI chip to control the USB interface. Instead it uses the CH340. All this means for you is that you need to download drivers (supplied below). Once the drivers are installed, the nano will work in exactly the same way as those that use the FTDI chip, it's just cheaper to manufacture, and thus we're able to offer them at an excellent price.

PLEASE NOTE: New versions of the Arduino IDE now have an additional option for the bootloader version. When setting up the IDE for this Nano please select the following options found under the 'Tools' menu:

Board: "Arduino NANO"

Processor: "ATMega328P (Old bootloader)"

Port: "COMX" (X = Whatever the port number is on your PC)

Underside of the Nano

Microcontroller: ATmega328
Operating Voltage (logic level): 5 V
Input Voltage (recommended): 7-12 V
Input Voltage (limits): 6-20 V
Digital I/O Pins: 14 (of which 6 provide PWM output)
Analogue Input Pins: 8
DC Current per I/O Pin: 40 mA
Flash Memory: 32 KB of which 2 KB used by bootloader
SRAM: 2 KB
EEPROM: 1 KB
Clock Speed: 16 MHz
Dimensions: 0.73" x 1.70"

Windows Installation Instructions

Drivers are available in the link below. Simply download and unzip them, plug in your nano and when the new hardware is detected, point the wizard to the folder you just unzipped to and it should install without any problems.

Windows Driver can be downloaded here

MAC installation instructions

New code signed version confirmed to work with 10.12 Sierra
CH34x_Install_V1.3.zip

Older code signed version confirmed to work with El Capitan
CH34x_OSX.zip

Instructions:

Download the driver (you must be logged in to download).

Once downloaded, double-click the zip file to unzip it.

Run installer found in that folder.

If asked to restart, do not restart just yet.

Now restart your Mac.

Order Yours Here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TGDr-aka-RG

Re: Arduino compatible Nano with CH340 USB IC (HCARDU0094)

Post by TGDr-aka-RG » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:09 pm

Unfortunately, the above drivers don't work in 'El Capitan' - however there is a workaround... Go to:-

https://tzapu.com/making-ch340-ch341-se ... itan-os-x/

Follow the instructions. Once you've booted back into your normal account, if you run csrutil status, you should get a terminal output like this:-

Code: Select all

csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: enabled (Custom Configuration).

Configuration:
	Apple Internal: disabled
	Kext Signing: disabled
	Filesystem Protections: enabled
	Debugging Restrictions: enabled
	DTrace Restrictions: enabled
	NVRAM Protections: enabled

This is an unsupported configuration, likely to break in the future and leave your machine in an unknown state.
You will now find that your Uno+ will show up (USB-wise) in the Arduino IDE

Hope this helps!

FatherCool

Post by FatherCool » Thu May 05, 2022 6:01 pm

My recent purchase of this board is not working. When plugged in it doesn't show up in windows and it just shows a red led with a further flashing red led.

Any ideas?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri May 06, 2022 7:36 am

My recent purchase of this board is not working. When plugged in it doesn't show up in windows and it just shows a red led with a further flashing red led.

Any ideas?

Sorry to hear this. The blinking LED is a good sign as it at least shows the microcontroller is receiving power and running the blink sketch. A few simple things you could try...

Firstly if you have a spare mini USB cable could you give that a try. It's surprising how often USB cables fail.

Second, if you have access to another computer you could try plugging it into that to rule out a problem with the operating system.

Failing that, one other thing you can try is to take a look at device manager (assuming you're using Windows). You can open up device manager by right-clicking the Start button (or use the keyboard shortcut Windows Key + X) and click on Device Manager from the menu. Then try plugging and unplugging your Nano and see if device manager refreshes or shows an error.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

FatherCool

Post by FatherCool » Fri May 06, 2022 1:07 pm

Hi I don't have another suitable USB cable however when its plugged into the cable windows shows no change in the device manager. No extra port shows with the arduino as a com port etc which is normally what happens. Maybe my cable has gone bad.

I will get another suitable USB cable and report back.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon May 09, 2022 7:27 am

I didn't realise you were local to us. If you like you can always just pop in and I will test it for you. If so just let me know when you plan to pop in so I can make sure I'm in the office.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Return to “Arduino Development Boards”