HCuOLED library for SSD1307 & SH1106 based OLED displays

Useful guides, libraries, and example sketches to support our Arduino based products.
ChrisSharp

Re: HCuOLED library for SSD1307 & SH1106 based OLED displays

Post by ChrisSharp » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:44 pm

andrew wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:59 am
Cheers for that. Please feel free to post a picture when it's finished I'd love to see it.
Only the 9 months until I got round to finishing this little project.
IMG_1329.jpg
IMG_1330.jpg
IMG_1333.jpg
I'm very please with the result. Those little displays are about the right size for my scale (classic Hornby OO). Its nice to have them working with a ticking clock and scrolling text. Arriving trains are randomly cancelled or delayed. Some departures don't receive platform numbers until close to their departure times. Not overly complicated code, but getting the delayed train feature working was very frustrating.

I need to make it a 5V power supply taken from the track power. Theres a 14V ac supply on the track all the time. A bridge rectifier and a LM2596 should do the job.

Thanks again for you help with this project.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:04 pm

Wow that really does look amazing, way better than I was expecting. I googled Colwick station to see what the real one looks like and found more pictures of your layout pop up in the search results. Most of it looks like it’s outside in your garden? How does it survive the weather? Also if it’s ok with you we’d like to plug it on our facebook page?

I need to make it a 5V power supply taken from the track power. Theres a 14V ac supply on the track all the time. A bridge rectifier and a LM2596 should do the job.
Yeah that sounds like the simplest solution to me. There’s a smoothing capacitor on the input of those modules so that may be all you need.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

ChrisSharp

Post by ChrisSharp » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:19 pm

andrew wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:04 pm
Wow that really does look amazing, way better than I was expecting. I googled Colwick station to see what the real one looks like and found more pictures of your layout pop up in the search results. Most of it looks like it’s outside in your garden? How does it survive the weather? Also if it’s ok with you we’d like to plug it on our facebook page?
Thank you. I'm very pleased with the result.

Yes, I have a railway in my garden. Colwick is on a moveable baseboard that plugs into my railway when I'm playing trains. It's too delicate to live outside and I have a shelf for it in the shed. Generally model railway track can live outside. Electronics and point motors have to be carefully located under cover.

Colwick Station isn't based on a prototype.

Happy for you to use it on Facebook. I've shared it in an Arduino for Model Railways groups and its got a very positive response. Arduino's are taking off in Model Railways at the moment. A lot of people are realising the they can roll their own kit rather than buying expensive off the shelf railway signalling modules and controllers. Something called DCC++ex is grabbing a lot of attention. Its a Mega, a motor shield and a PSU and its an alternative to a £200 model railway controller, so you can workout why its got peoples interest.

If you are interested I can write you a post for your Blog on the Information display. I could also do write ups on other model railway electronics projects I've completed with your products.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:43 am

Yes, I have a railway in my garden. Colwick is on a moveable baseboard that plugs into my railway when I'm playing trains. It's too delicate to live outside and I have a shelf for it in the shed. Generally model railway track can live outside. Electronics and point motors have to be carefully located under cover.
Ah, that makes sense. Some of it does look too delicate to stay outside. That station does look amazing though, there’s so much detail in it.

Happy for you to use it on Facebook.
Great, just checked and a quick post has already been added.

. Something called DCC++ex is grabbing a lot of attention. Its a Mega, a motor shield and a PSU and its an alternative to a £200 model railway controller, so you can workout why its got peoples interest.
We get a lot of customers that are either model railway clubs or enthusiasts so I know there's a crossover with Arduino. Didn't know about this project though, interestingly, I will investigate this further.

If you are interested I can write you a post for your Blog on the Information display. I could also do write ups on other model railway electronics projects I've completed with your products.
That would be great thanks. As I mentioned before, we do get lots of customers that are into model railways and our blog site does get a lot of traffic (if not post) so I'm sure it would attract plenty of attention.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

ChrisSharp

Post by ChrisSharp » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:17 am

andrew wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:43 am

Ah, that makes sense. Some of it does look too delicate to stay outside. That station does look amazing though, there’s so much detail in it.
I used to contribute articles to City Metric web site, which was part of the New Statesman. To illustrate one article I put some pictures of trains on my model railway. The editor failed to realise that they were models and it exploded on Twitter when someone asked "Where's Colwick Station?" The editor has never lived it down.
74BE30F7-2FCE-44A3-8FBB-095BBDB62632_1_105_c.jpeg
That would be great thanks. As I mentioned before, we do get lots of customers that are into model railways and our blog site does get a lot of traffic (if not post) so I'm sure it would attract plenty of attention.
Cool. Lets switch this conversation to email. Shall I use the sales address?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:03 pm

Yeah some of the pictures you've posted, if you didn't know they weren't real you could be easily fooled by them. I wonder if there has ever been visitors to Colwick that have asked where the station is insisting there must be one because they've seen picture of it online :-)

Cool. Lets switch this conversation to email. Shall I use the sales address?
Yeah this conversation is off topic here so you can email me a support [at] hobycomponents.com. Emails to that address come directly to me.

ChrisSharp

Post by ChrisSharp » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:52 am

Hi Andrew,

please could you update this library on GitHub.

I've put some sketches on there that use the Library so it would be helpful if the one on there as the version I'm using.

https://github.com/SharpSharp/ModelRailwayPID

Thanks
Chris

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:34 pm

Will do although I don't think I'll get chance to do it today. Anita is still working on adding the blog post so I'll make sure it's updated before it goes live.

ChrisSharp

Post by ChrisSharp » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:41 am

No hurry, I wrote a lot for the blogs, so it will be a few more days before Anita has processed them all.

Thanks.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:23 pm

Should be up-to-date now

Return to “Arduino”