AVR ATMEGA16 Minimum System Board ATmega32 Development Board + USB ISP USBasp Programmer ISP ATTiny 51 Board

Forum for posting topics and questions about anything.
randompunk

AVR ATMEGA16 Minimum System Board ATmega32 Development Board + USB ISP USBasp Programmer ISP ATTiny 51 Board

Post by randompunk » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:00 pm

AVR ATMEGA16 Minimum System Board ATmega32 Development Board + USB ISP USBasp Programmer ISP ATTiny 51 Board and PLCC32 to DIP32 EZ Programmer Adapter Socket

Hi all,

Very very new to all this...

I bought the above with the intentions on flashing a bios file to a PL-CC 32 socket chip. I have spent a good amount of time getting nowhere unfortunately. With all the guides I found and advice I have seen on other peoples forum posts I havent progresed very far.

So far I have only managed to flash the latest firmware to the USBasp - after that I can't get any programs show that they are successfully connected to the USBasp.

I am obviously missing something or doing something wrong but I just can't work out what it is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have purposley not put any information about any errors etc... I have had as I have seen other forum posts get a bit confusing as people have had a lot of different opinons on the errors they got.

At this moment in time I am just looking for help on where to go next after flashing the lastest firmware to the USBasp.

This is the equipment I am using...
Programmer1.jpg
Programmer2.jpg
socket1.jpg

Thank you all in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BreadBoard

Re: AVR ATMEGA16 Minimum System Board ATmega32 Development Board + USB ISP USBasp Programmer ISP ATTiny 51 Board

Post by BreadBoard » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:36 am

Hi randompunk,

what type of BIOS memory chip are you attempting to program?

Modern motherboards use serial SPI flash chips, which are typically 8-pin devices. Every 32-pin PLCC memory device I have ever seen uses a parallel programmer not a serial programmer like the USBASP programmer, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist.

The PLCC-32 to DIP-32 converter is designed for parallel programmers that have Zero Insertion Force (ZIF) sockets.

If you need to program a serial programming interface (SPI) memory then the USBASP programmer can do that but you will require an 8-pin socket (or a breadboard) and the AVRDude programming software.

If you need to program an old style PLCC Flash Memory then you will probably need a parallel programmer and associated software. A parallel programmer is considerably more expensive than a serial programmer.

Return to “General Discussion”