HCMODU0163

Forum for posting topics and questions about anything.
RetroBoy

HCMODU0163

Post by RetroBoy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:10 pm

ITMA with a question regarding LCD Screen Lifespans, in particular the HCMODU0163 2004 LCD Module.

I have 4 screens running/displaying 24/7 on 70% Contrast and Brightness, but the display is seeming to get visably worse every day that passes. So far they have been running for 11 weeks ( approx 2000hrs ), is there a limit or max guarantee ? Same question but regarding 'Burn-In'; how long before I do not need to print any Data Titles, as they're already burnt into the display?

I know I could use a 'button/timer' to display/hide the display, - as the data is constantly changing I would have no idea what would be displayed when the 'Display Button' got pressed .
eg:
VOID SETUP() : Displays the initial Data Titles ... if I turn the screen OFF is that text Lost?
VOID LOOP()[ & other calls] : Display GPS, RTC, Baro, Humidity, etc; all updated by the second ( if not sooner ) when I turn the screen ON I have no idea what data is 'in transit' to the display. Some Data only Updates at either Midnight/Midday.

Unfortunately with the Data, once the 'Time' Has passed I cannot recreate it, it's LOST.

Any Help very much appreciated.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: HCMODU0163

Post by andrew » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:10 am

I have 4 screens running/displaying 24/7 on 70% Contrast and Brightness, but the display is seeming to get visably worse every day that passes. So far they have been running for 11 weeks ( approx 2000hrs ), is there a limit or max guarantee ? Same question but regarding 'Burn-In'; how long before I do not need to print any Data Titles, as they're already burnt into the display?

You should definitely not been seeing any issues with degradation or burn-in. So long as they aren’t subjected to extreme temperatures, vibrations, and operated within their specs (in particular supply voltage) these types of displays should in fact last for years.

It looks like you have already altered the contrast but just in case, have you tried readjusting it via the Contrast(level) function (assuming you are using it via the I2C/SmartLCD library) just in case it needs re-calibrating?

Are you able to post a picture of one of the affected displays? In particular to show the burn-in issue?

if I turn the screen OFF is that text Lost?
If you mean via the DispState() function then no, text should not be lost.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

RetroBoy

Post by RetroBoy » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:39 am

Thanks for the reply Andrew, and sorry it's taken so long for me to respond back.

First, all the issues sorted, ' I think'. Did a little 'probing' for the PSU was only outputting 4.7v and a 'tad warm' ... Arrgh ! Swopped out the PSU and all displays are working OK; no sign of Burn-in / Burn-out. I can only summise that a lower Voltage was 'changing' how the displays worked... so my Apologies ( I should have done the preliminaries before posing the question ).

Next - The 'contrast' ( and Brightness ) settings, are all done via the SmartLCD Library, so no issues there.

I will pose a new question though.

Q: If I turn the Backlight OFF completely would I still see a Display, or would I get a Blank Screen?

The only reason for asking is that whatever settings I use Contrast/Brightness I always see a 'Dark' Square where the Character is Displayed.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:59 am

First, all the issues sorted, ' I think'. Did a little 'probing' for the PSU was only outputting 4.7v and a 'tad warm' ... Arrgh ! Swopped out the PSU and all displays are working OK; no sign of Burn-in / Burn-out
Great, I was worried there was a batch issue. Glad to see it was just something simple. Thanks for confirming.

Q: If I turn the Backlight OFF completely would I still see a Display, or would I get a Blank Screen?

The only reason for asking is that whatever settings I use Contrast/Brightness I always see a 'Dark' Square where the Character is Displayed
Assuming the contrast is set correctly, what I'd expect to see with the backlight off is a dark screen with just about visible (slightly lighter than the screen) text. Kind of like a very dark negative of when the screen is on.

Although these are transmissive screens, any ambient light from the outside will still pass though and then reflect back through the screen (albeit to a much lesser extent) so in a lit room the text will always just about be visible with the screen turned on.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

RetroBoy

Post by RetroBoy » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:08 pm

Hi Andrew, thanks for the very descriptive answer... not what I wanted to hear but still. Think I will need to invest in a few OLED screens. At least I can get White on Black & vice versa, in fact any combination I really want.

Talking of which :
Q1: Can I run more than 1 OLED at a time on a NANO ?
Q2: If I am using multiple NANOs and multiple OLEDs how do I get ANY NANO to print to ANY OLED ?

Current Sketch requires 4x 2004LED Screens, ( I don't think I need to go into detail, as you have seen the Sketch and DATA. )

Why am I asking Q2: - Currently working on getting the SUNRISE/SUNSET FUNCTION onto its' own NANO, along with the DATA,
only wish the NANOs could WORK quicker. ( Get me a VAX/MicroVAX ? )

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:50 pm

At least I can get White on Black & vice versa...
Q1: Can I run more than 1 OLED at a time on a NANO ?
It will just depend on if the library you're using supports it. For the uOLEDS we sell our HCuOLED library can handle multiple uOLED displays but I'm not sure you're talking about the ones we stock. So it will be down to whatever library you plan to use. Also keep in mind with each additional display there will be a memory hit and I know your project is tight on memory.

Q2: If I am using multiple NANOs and multiple OLEDs how do I get ANY NANO to print to ANY OLED ?
You'll have to pass the information from one Nano to another via one of its serial interfaces (UART, SPI, or I2C). If you're using just two Nanos then you could connect their UARTs together. That would probably be the simplest option. For multiple Nano's you'd need to use either the SPI or I2C interface but that will get a bit more tricky as you can only have one master at a time with those interfaces. If you do go this route could you not just connect all the displays to one Nano and pass any information from the other Nano(s) to display to it?

Edit:
NANOs could WORK quicker. ( Get me a VAX/MicroVAX ? )
Sadly it sounds like you need one of the ARM based development boards like the STM32 or ESP32.

RetroBoy

Post by RetroBoy » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:03 pm

Thanks for replying so quickly.
Your answer was why I posed an question regarding a similar Nano Replacement a few weeks ago.
Anyway, I have looked and note that neither the STM32 nor ESP32 boards are in stock; ESP32 preferable. Any ideas on when you may have them back, or is it a case of Aliexpress ?

Reverting back to the OLED issue ... MY ERROR ... I actually meant HCMODU0032 12864B Graphics Screen or the HCMODU0132 3.2" TFT; sorry for the confusion ( at my age it's very easy to do ... SERIOUSLY). However, even upgrading to either an STM or ESP package would pose me with the same issue of using multiple Displays. ( Lightbulb Moment ... HCMODU0132 could be made to 'Change' Display using Touchscreen Options . Code gets worse even more memory - or lack of ).

The Sketch is now getting extremely Memory Hungry and even more CPU Dependant. Making matters worse is the issue of FPU, or lack of. I Know the STM32 has an onboard FPU, greatest help I could get, but I know, as do you, that I would never be able to get the STM32 to ever work under XP ! I would even have worries regarding the ESP32. Ok, I have updated to IDE 1.6.13, but that is not enough and 1.8.9 gives so many errors; as I mentioned before original IDE 1.0.6 was WIN Installer Package ... so what ever I do the Registry will always have references to 1.0.6.

Anyway, please let me know IF/WHEN "HC" will be getting more stock of STM32/ESP32, or will I need to go to PRC Website ?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:48 pm

Anyway, please let me know IF/WHEN "HC" will be getting more stock of STM32/ESP32, or will I need to go to PRC Website ?
For the STM32, sadly it’s my understanding that current lead times for that range of chips (in particular the most common of these, the STM32F103) are in excess of 1 year due to the current global chip shortages. There is existing stock out there but currently prices are simply too expensive to stock. Also, not to spread any FUD, but be aware of any suspiciously cheap boards or modules sold out of China at the moment as we know there are sellers taking advantage of the chip shortage by selling products being made with either fake or ATE failed parts.

In terms of when we’ll get the STM32 back in stock It’s something we’re constantly monitoring but for now we simply don’t know when we’ll be able to get them back in stock at a reasonable price.

For the ESP32, we currently have a new product on order which will be in the common DIL form factor similar to the Nano but larger in size and compatible with the Arduino IDE via the ESP32 DOIT board files. We hope to have this evaluated and on sale within the next couple of weeks.

I have updated to IDE 1.6.13, but that is not enough and 1.8.9 gives so many errors; as I mentioned before original IDE 1.0.6 was WIN Installer Package ... so what ever I do the Registry will always have references to 1.0.6.

Just to put another suggestion out there, as you're kind of having to work around your Windows 95 setup, and older version of the IDE, have you looked at one of the online IDEs? For example here's Arduino's one:

https://create.arduino.cc/editor

Not something I've used myself and may create more problems than it solves but if it did work for you it may help you get around your development board limitation.

RetroBoy

Post by RetroBoy » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:07 pm

Hello Andrew.

Thanks for the reply, I have sent you a PM.

Please ask/arrange HC to send me a msg when the new ESP32 board arrives.

Thanks.

RetroBoy

Post by RetroBoy » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:17 pm

Hi Andrew,

Only to let you know I have ordered an HCDVBD0041 - ESP32 Dev Brd today. Have the Drivers/Boards installed, I'll see how it goes. :!:

S - ( aka RetroBoy )

Return to “General Discussion”