HCMODU0163 - Screen Inversion

Forum for posting topics and questions about anything.
RetroBoy

HCMODU0163 - Screen Inversion

Post by RetroBoy » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:48 pm

I have a requirement to be able to use the 2004-HCMODU0163 in an 'INVERTED' mode. I know the Display cam print LtoR and RtoL, does that mean that RtoL is INVERTED or is it meant for scrolling displays. If it is the latter is there a way to be able to print inverted ?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: HCMODU0163 - Screen Inversion

Post by andrew » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:48 am

I know the Display cam print LtoR and RtoL, does that mean that RtoL is INVERTED or is it meant for scrolling displays.
It only changes the direction the cursor moves, it has no effect on the actual characters. So for example when set to RTOL 'Hello' would be printed like this:

OLLEH

If it is the latter is there a way to be able to print inverted ?
I'm afraid not. The best you can do is define your own custom characters but you'd be limited to only 8.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

RetroBoy

Post by RetroBoy » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:25 am

Good Morning Andrew, Thanks for the reply.
It is what I thought, from your reply. I now have a slight problem and if poss need your valued opinion.
I have ( am building ) a Time/Baro/Hum/GPS display but I also have a 8digit Seconds Counter ( normal .5" 7 digit using 4060's & 4026's & 32.768 XTAL oscillator ). This is housed in a case with the 2004 below the 'Seconds Counter' & 1602 below that with GPS ( Neo-6m ) ' Lat & Lon' data. This will be a replacement for part of my Oregon Weather Station ( 20+yrs old).
Now the issue ... if the 2004 has an issue/needs replacing, I need to take everything apart to do it, rather than the 2004 display being 'inverted' and simply unplugging and new plugging in. So do you know of any alternative ways for the 2004 to be used ... or would an OLED be a possible alternative ?
Sorry if this is not part of HC commitments, but it does involve HC equipment I have purchased.
( p..s. : I will also be making a couple of posts regarding the BMP180 & mLinkDHT22 units I have purchased ).

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:07 pm

So do you know of any alternative ways for the 2004 to be used ...
I'm afraid it's just not possible with the character LCDs. The HD44780 controller that's built into the LCDs just doesn't have the ability to mirror the screen or its built-in font.

If you need to invert a screen you'd be better off using one of the graphic screens that has this capability.

or would an OLED be a possible alternative ?
You can do it with OLED displays we sell but they are of course much smaller than the 2004 display.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Return to “General Discussion”