Newbie - Sensor Interfaces

Forum for posting topics and questions about anything.
peterhw

Newbie - Sensor Interfaces

Post by peterhw » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:50 pm

Hi,
Brand new to the forum and 'building' projects.

I had considered making a 'smart' Mouse Trap which would require some sort of detection sensor (range say 1-15cm), some sort of mechanical device (and maybe relay) to release a trap (could be like PECO Model Railway points motor) and presumably linked to SBC - say Arduino.

Could be my first project.
No idea what would be 'best' sensor type - movement, distance, light reflector etc

Appreciate any ideas and may pointers to similar projects

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Newbie - Sensor Interfaces

Post by andrew » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:32 am

Hi peterhw, welcome to the forum....

I had considered making a 'smart' Mouse Trap which would require some sort of detection sensor (range say 1-15cm), some sort of mechanical device (and maybe relay) to release a trap (could be like PECO Model Railway points motor)
I think your best option would be a small 90g servo like the SG90. If you're going to use a microcontroller you can directly control a servo from it.

Could be my first project.
No idea what would be 'best' sensor type - movement, distance, light reflector etc
I think the type of sensor would depend on how the mouse trap works. Is it some kind of cage with a door that the mouse has to enter? If so I assume you'd need it trigger once the mouse is completely inside?

and presumably linked to SBC - say Arduino.
If you are thinking of using a microcontroller then I defiantly would recommend an Arduino. Either an Uno or Nano would be your best option if you're a beginner.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

peterhw

Re: Newbie - Sensor Interfaces

Post by peterhw » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:01 am

Many thanks

I've seen various Arduino development kits with different sensors and perhaps start with something like that

Return to “General Discussion”