atmega328p

Forum for posting topics and questions about anything.
Legsmaniac

atmega328p

Post by Legsmaniac » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:10 pm

Hi,

I ordered and received the atmega328 chips with crystal and caps X 2

I have tried to follow several tutes online to get a bootloader onto them, to no avail.

Even this simple one - https://www.instructables.com/id/Bootlo ... -Mega2560/ - refuses to work. Neither of the atmega chips will load. They cannot both be faulty, surely?

Any suggestions, please?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: atmega328p

Post by andrew » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:47 am

We buy the ATMega328 ICs directly from Microchip and are ATE tested parts so they should work fine. I've taken a quick look at the link you've provided and I can see a couple of issues with the diagram. Firstly the crystal capacitors need to be grounded. The other thing I noticed is that it is using the slave select (SS) pin on the Mega to reset the IC. This doesn't look correct to me, according to the ArduinoISP sketch you need to use pin 10. Could this be the issue?
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Legsmaniac

Re: atmega328p

Post by Legsmaniac » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:56 pm

I've taken a quick look at the link you've provided and I can see a couple of issues with the diagram. Firstly the crystal capacitors need to be grounded.
Your look was obviously too quick as they are grounded. You need to click on the diagram to expand it. ;)

As far as I was aware, the wiring is correct and the comments following the article showed several people with success as well as people with issues.

I wasted enough time trying to get that one working (nearly a whole day on and off!) so I abaondoned that one and went for this one instead - http://www.martyncurrey.com/arduino-nan ... rogrammer/ - and very happy to report that after some more faffing about, I finally managed to upload bootloaders and now my sketches which are working correctly.

On reflection, I might as well have used a Nano instead, or even a Pro Mini as they have about the same size footprint as the atmega328P chips with associated components. My idea was for small size for a couple of projects I have. Ah well, never mind. I've got them now and finally managed to flash them.
I've started so I'll finish.

Return to “General Discussion”