8x8x8 LED Cube Kit Reprogramming

Forum for posting topics and questions about anything.
Cosmarchy

8x8x8 LED Cube Kit Reprogramming

Post by Cosmarchy » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:41 pm

Hello,

I bought the 8x8x8 LED cube kit from Hobby Components, assembled it and it is happily running away with whatever demo software it came installed with.

I now want to re-program this and am having issues uploading from the Arduino IDE.

I am using the demo code from the bottom of this post viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1968 which compiles ok but I get the following error message:
Sketch uses 13472 bytes (43%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
Global variables use 123 bytes (6%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1925 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM7": A device which does not exist was specified.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.
I am using the supplied USB cable to connect to the P1 serial connector on the board. In the IDE under the Tools>Port setting, I only have the option of COM7 so I have this selected.

Does anyone know what I need to do to download to this kit?

Thanks

andrew
Site Admin

Re: 8x8x8 LED Cube Kit Reprogramming

Post by andrew » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:11 am

The first thing to check is if you have the correct driver installed. The one that gets automatically installed by Windows is broken and although it will show a COM port, it doesn't work properly. To check this open up device manager, find the entry for the com port and see if there is a yellow caution triangle or error message associated with it. If so follow the instructions on in the first post of this thread under the title 'WINDOWS 8/VISTA/10 USERS':

viewtopic.php?f=79&t=1815
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Return to “General Discussion”