Adafruit compatible L293D Motor Drive Shield (HCARDU0044)

admin
Site Admin

Adafruit compatible L293D Motor Drive Shield (HCARDU0044)

Post by admin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:25 pm

Description:

- 2 interfaces for 5V Servo connected to Arduino's high-resolution dedicated timer - no jitter!
- Can drive 4 DC motors, 2 stepper motors or 2 Servo
- Up to 4 bi-directional DC motors with individual 8-bit speed selection
- Up to 2 stepper motors (unipolar or bipolar) with single coil, double coil or interleaved stepping.
- 4 H-Bridges: each bridge provides 0.6A (1.2A peak current) with thermal protection and can run motors on 4.5V to 36V DC
- Pull down resistors keep motors disabled during power-up
- Reset button
- 2 external terminal power interface, for separate logic/motor supplies
- Tested compatible for Arduino Mega, Diecimila & Duemilanove

L293D is a monolithic integrated, high voltage, high current, 4-channel driver. Basically this means that using this chip you can use DC motors and power supplies of up to 36 Volts. The chip can supply a maximum current of 600mA per channel, the L293D chip is also what’s known as a type of H-Bridge. The H-Bridge is typically an electrical circuit that enables a voltage to be applied across a load in either direction to an output, e.g. motor.

Order Yours Here

Schematic:

[TBA]

Library:

The latest version of the Adafruit library can be found on GitHub here:

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Mo ... V2_Library

Or you can download an known working snapshot here:
Adafruit_Motor_Shield_library_4bd21ca.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SDJMcHattie

Re: Adafruit compatible L293D Motor Drive Shield (HCARDU0044

Post by SDJMcHattie » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:52 pm

I'm thinking about buying one of these, but I have a few questions related to my intended use.

I would plan to use this with two of the following: http://hobbycomponents.com/motors-servo ... results=17

I assume this board would work with those motors? I would be powering the HC Arduino Uno board with a 9V 1A plug in power supply - does this provide the power to the shield as well or do I need to split the power myself to the shield as well? Does the shield connect directly to the stepper motor or would I still need to use the provided stepper controller board? Finally, will I still be able to use the I2C pins, the analog pins and the RX and TX pins on the Arduino while using this shield?

Many thanks if you can provide answers to those questions.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Adafruit compatible L293D Motor Drive Shield (HCARDU0044

Post by andrew » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:13 am

I assume this board would work with those motors?
Yes but keep in mind that you can just connect the driver boards that come with the stepper motors directly to your Arduino. You don't need this shield.
I would be powering the HC Arduino Uno board with a 9V 1A plug in power supply - does this provide the power to the shield as well or do I need to split the power myself to the shield as well?
The Arduino does provide 5V power to the shield but not to the motors. Power to the motors is provided by EXT_PWR terminal block on the shield. This will in turn provide power to the Arduino (via its Vin pin) but as this is also the power supply to the motors, if you apply 9V to this terminal you will get 9V to the motors which is above their 5V rating. Your best option would be to power the Arduino via your 9V adapter and then route 5V from the Arduino to the EXT_PWR terminal on the shield (or provide a separate 5V source to the EXT_PWR terminal). If you do this remember to remove the 'PWR jumper' which is what routes the power from the EXT_PWR terminal to the Vin pin on the Arduino.
Does the shield connect directly to the stepper motor or would I still need to use the provided stepper controller board?
If you do still want to use the shield you can just connect the motors directly to it but they do come with a connector designed to plug into the driver boards that come with them so you would probably have to cut this connector off.
Finally, will I still be able to use the I2C pins, the analog pins
Yes, none of the analogue pins including A4 and A5 (SDA and SCL) are used by the shield. There is a set of pads near these pins that you can solder a wire or header too.
and the RX and TX pins on the Arduino while using this shield?
The shield doesn't use the Tx and Rx pins but it doesn't provide a header for them.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Return to “Arduino Shields”