In-Circuit IC Test Hook Clips

How can we improve our service? Is there anything you would like us to stock? Any questions? Please let us know here.
BobBurton

In-Circuit IC Test Hook Clips

Post by BobBurton » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:38 am

I find that when using these clips, even with flexible silicone wire, the wire is prone to breaking where the wire exits the clips as it is close to where the wire is soldered onto the metal of the clip. The clips do have provision for the wire not to be trapped between the thumb and the clip body but that requires the wire to bend 90 degrees on exiting the clip which is not ideal

It would be better if the wire exited the clips anywhere but at the end where your thumb rests when clipping them onto a component or removing them. Even better would be a Dupont style pin or socket on the side of the clip body so that they could be used with wires of different lengths/colours that most users will already have

I realise that you do not manufacture the clips but I wonder, do you know of a source of clips such as I describe ?

I am aware of your Small Round Test Hook Clips but the actual clips are much larger than the In-Circuit IC Test Hook Clips

andrew
Site Admin

Re: In-Circuit IC Test Hook Clips

Post by andrew » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:28 pm

I do agree with your comments. It would be nice to have another alternative that costs a bit more but is more durable. We've been on the lookout for something like that for quite some time but the problem is that there seems to be very little between the low end/low cost clips such as these and the professional lab instrument grade clips that cost in the £100's and beyond. I really can't suggest a viable alternative as if we knew anything suitable we'd likely already be stocking it but it's defiantly something we'd like to add to our range.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

BobBurton

Post by BobBurton » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:15 pm

Thanks for the quick reply

The nearest thing I have found online is [LINK REMOVED] and I have ordered a set, but who knows how long they will take to arrive, not that it really matters. They are also available on amazon.co.uk but are, of course, more expensive

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:43 am

Thanks, I'll take a look, but I'd be interested to hear your option when you receive them.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

BobBurton

Post by BobBurton » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:08 pm

andrew wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:43 am
Thanks, I'll take a look, but I'd be interested to hear your option when you receive them.
OK, I will let you know and if you want I could send you a couple to examine when they arrive

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:49 am

That's very kind of you but it's ok, I'm more interested at the to hear your feedback. If they look like they are worth the extra cost and we can find a source we'll just get some in ourselves to evaluate.

BobBurton

Post by BobBurton » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:29 pm

The clips have arrived which was much faster than I was expecting

They seem reasonably OK and certainly prevent the wires being broken where it exits the clip. The mechanism is quite stiff and sometimes they need quite a push to get them started opening, but they do work.

Unlike the clips that you sell with your logic probe, where the two parts of the clip that grip the component lead are symmetrical, the shape of the business end of these is a little different. One of the wires is longer and more curved than the other and this seems deliberate because all of the 10 clips that I have are the same. (see attached photo) The result of this is that the clips do not hold on so firmly to wider leads such as the tops of IC legs and fairly easily become detached if knocked or rotated around leads when they are in place
logic probe example.jpg
Having dismantled the original logic probes to change the wires to silicone I was intrigued as to how the connection to the Dupont pins was going to be achieved and even more so when I found that the centre portion of the clips could be rotated. I have resisted the temptation to pull one of these apart, but it looks like the plastic tube from which the clip hooks extend is wrapped around a metal tube and I imagine that the Dupont pins connect to this metal tube via a sliding connection

The set that I bought came in a clear plastic box about 100mm square and 20mm deep with a hinged lid with a catch which is good for storage and I will probably put the logic probe and original leads in there too. Much to my surprise the leads appear to be silicone coated and are very flexible

In summary, I think that these clips are nearly very good but the shape of the tips of the clips may prove to be a problem. I will only use them infrequently, but they are there when needed and I don't regret buying them

Let me know if you want to know anything else
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:02 am

Hi Bob, thanks for coming back and posting your in-depth review. One thing I was concerned about is the barrel looks to be made from heat shrink tubing but if it's a metal tube inside that's not so bad. The end of clips could be a potential issue though. I think it comes down to good quality test clips are expensive so it's just a case of if they are useable and worth the money despite any flaws they may have. We may still order a set in to evaluate them.

BobBurton

Post by BobBurton » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:21 pm

The shape and the cross section of the clips is certainly not as good as the other ones. As is just about visible in my photo each prong of the clip is rectangular in cross section and us quite sturdy rather than being a thin wire. I think that this contributes to the tendency for them to be knocked off the pin to which they are connected because they cannot twist relative to one another

My offer to pop a couple in the post to you for examination still stands

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:54 am

No that's ok thanks. We'd need to find a good source for them anyway and at the moment because of the current situation we've been so busy just getting orders shipped, we've now got quite a backlog of new products to get though. So it's not something we be able to look at straight away anyway.

Return to “HobbyComponents.com shop”