ESP32-CAM Programming Adapter Board (HCDVBD0043)

Forum for ESP32 based development boards
admin
Site Admin

ESP32-CAM Programming Adapter Board (HCDVBD0043)

Post by admin » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:18 pm

This adapter board is specifically designed for the ESP32-CAM development board (HCDVBD0041). It allows the ESP32-CAM to be powered and automatically programmed from a computers USB port. It is also fully compatible with the Arduino IDE allowing sketches to be Automatically uploaded just like any other Arduino development board.

For USB connection the adapter board uses the common CH340 USB driver IC and connection is via a microUSB interface (microUSB cable not supplied).

Image shows adapter board with ESP32-CAM fitted (ESP32-CAM sold separately)

Drivers:

The USB driver for this adapter can be downloaded from the manufacturers website here:

http://www.wch-ic.com/downloads/CH341SER_EXE.html

Libraries, example code, and diagrams are provided as an additional free service by Hobby Components and are not sold as part of this product. We do not provide any guarantees or warranties as to their accuracy or fitness for purpose.

Descriptions and diagrams on this page are copyright Hobby Components Ltd and may not be reproduced without permission.

BobBurton

Re: ESP32-CAM Programming Adapter Board (HCDVBD0043)

Post by BobBurton » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:06 pm

I have used the ESP32-CAM for some time but programming it has always been a nuisance due to the need to short the programming pins and press the inaccessible reset button as part of the programming process, so this board looks like a useful alternative

I have just received the board and sad to say I cannot upload code to the camera when it is plugged into the board as I receive the following error message

Code: Select all

Sketch uses 227801 bytes (7%) of program storage space. Maximum is 3145728 bytes.
Global variables use 16128 bytes (4%) of dynamic memory, leaving 311552 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 327680 bytes.
"C:\Users\Bob2\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\tools\esptool_py\4.2.1/esptool.exe" --chip esp32 --port "COM5" --baud 460800  --before default_reset --after hard_reset write_flash  -z --flash_mode dio --flash_freq 80m --flash_size 4MB 0x1000 "C:\Users\Bob2\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino-sketch-DCC3CAC1F93F4626B37E3950A0E44970/sketch_oct5b.ino.bootloader.bin" 0x8000 "C:\Users\Bob2\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino-sketch-DCC3CAC1F93F4626B37E3950A0E44970/sketch_oct5b.ino.partitions.bin" 0xe000 "C:\Users\Bob2\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\2.0.5/tools/partitions/boot_app0.bin" 0x10000 "C:\Users\Bob2\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino-sketch-DCC3CAC1F93F4626B37E3950A0E44970/sketch_oct5b.ino.bin" 
esptool.py v4.2.1
Serial port COM5
Connecting......................................

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: No serial data received.
For troubleshooting steps visit: https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esptool/en/latest/troubleshooting.html
Failed uploading: uploading error: exit status 2
I have numerous other devices that use the CH340 chip and can program them with no problems. As a precaution I installed the drivers from your link but still get the error. Naturally I have tried pressing the reset button when the IDE displayed the "Uploading" message but to no avail

Have I misunderstood the purpose an/or operation of this board

Windows 10
Arduino IDE 1.8.13 and 2.0.0

Advice please

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:34 pm

I have just received the board and sad to say I cannot upload code to the camera when it is plugged into the board as I receive the following error message
Have I misunderstood the purpose an/or operation of this board
Naturally I have tried pressing the reset button when the IDE displayed the "Uploading" message but to no avail

Sorry to hear this, if you have a standard ESP32-CAM plugged into this board correctly then you should be able to automatically program your board without needing to press any buttons or manually put it into programming mode. It should automatically do this from the Arduino IDE via a USB cable connected to the USB port of the adapter board.

The error message you’ve posted just seems to be a generic ‘I can’t talk to the board for some reason’ error so the problem could be a number of things.

The first thing I would suggest is checking that the USB driver is actually installed properly. To do this open up device manager by right-clicking the windows icon in the bottom left of your screen and then selecting device manager from the menu that pops up.

In device manager the interface board should be listed under Ports (COM & LPT) -> USB-SERIAL CH340 (COMx).

Check that there is no error message or yellow caution triangle listed by the entry.

If there is more than one COM port listed you can confirm which is the correct one by unplugging the adapter board then plugging it back in to see which COM port in device manager disappears and reappears.

Another way to confirm the COM port is working is to open up the serial monitor window in the Arduino IDE by going to Tools-Serial monitor

In the Serial monitor window make sure you have the BAUD rate set to 115200.

Next, press the reset button on the adapter board. If you have the same model of ESP32-CAM we stock you should see some information reported by your ESP32.

Once you’ve tried the above and the driver seems to be ok the next thing I would suggest checking is the settings in your Arduino IDE. I’ve pasted below settings that work for the adapterboard+EP32-CAM we stock.

EPS32_CAM_settings.jpg

Also it may be worth taking a look at our setup guide for our ESP32-CAM just in case you spot something you may be doing differently. You can find the guide in the first post of this thread which includes setting up the IDE and flashing the example webcam sketch:

viewtopic.php?f=134&t=3041&p=8384&hilit=esp32+cam#p8384
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

BobBurton

Post by BobBurton » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:09 pm

UPDATE

It seems that not all ESP32CAMs are made equal and the differences cause problems

See https://www.esp32.com/viewtopic.php?t=18618 and in particular
I can still use it with my other esp32cam modules but I have to hold the program button whilst connecting the USB to upload sketches
Using this method I can upload sketches to my ESP32CAM (not purchased from you) so all is not lost

NOTE however that the sketch will not run after upload unless the board is unpowered an powered up again and that 2 sketches cannot be loaded in succession unless you do the "power on whist holding down the progamming button" trick again

Return to “ESP32”