EDTracker Bundle (HCKITS0021, 21B, 21E, 21F, 21G, 21H & 21I)

EDracker products
andrew
Site Admin

Re: EDTracker Bundle (HCKITS0021, 21B, 21E, 21F, 21G, 21H & 21I)

Post by andrew » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:05 pm

I think I follow what you're describing. The only thing I've seen to cause a slow drift is doing an auto gyro bias calibration when the temperature isn't stable. Can you confirm that it's doing this when it's been calibrated and tested whilst the temperature is in the green zone?
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

mo1806

Post by mo1806 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:10 pm

Confirmed. I waited for about 15 minutes after turning it on, Temperature was green and stable. Then I calibrated the tracker completely. Same behaviour.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:40 am

Ok, thanks for checking. If it's changing the speed that it drifts as well then that is weird. Only thing I've ever seen have that kind of sporadic effect is unstable temperature but if you've ruled that out I'm really not sure what would cause it. Only other thing I can suggest is if you post a screen capture of the GUI to see if I can spot anything there.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

hasole

Post by hasole » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:42 pm

Hi

What temperature should the edtracker be at? Mine sits around 55 and and I took the plastic housing off and it 53 with it off.

My "temperature" slowly blinks between red and green and it is varying 0.01 deg so no much.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:16 am

What temperature should the edtracker be at? Mine sits around 55 and and I took the plastic housing off and it 53 with it off.

My "temperature" slowly blinks between red and green and it is varying 0.01 deg so no much.

Yeah they always show the temperature to be high. Normally when we test them they tend to average around about 45 but I wouldn't worry about the actual value so long as it's stable. It is quite sensitive if not accurate so it will drift about by the odd tenth of a degree but as long as it mostly showing green that's fine too.

DeviateSquirrel

Post by DeviateSquirrel » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:51 pm

I’m looking to use EDTracker on a console by running it through a Titan Two (https://www.consoletuner.com/products/titan-two/). EDTracker is recognized by the T2 without the EDTracker GUI or opentrack running and provides 3 inputs that range from -100.0 to 100.0 on the T2 and I can write a script for the T2 to convert these values into accelerometer and gyroscope readings to insulate a DS4 controller. It almost works!

The problem looks to be that the values read by the T2 cap out when the EDTracker is about 45 degrees of center in any direction. That’s almost what I’d expect from accelerometer readings as, at that point, other axes start to take over. With an accelerometer the values on the axes go back down towards zero once past that point. That doesn’t happen here, nor do the other axes take over. There’s also a small amount of jitter with the device held as still as I can make it that I need to try and address.

I’ve read through the code for the 9250 on Brumster’s GitHub and I have some thoughts on changes that might help me (but would probably screw up others). There’s a section where the input is clamped to provide 90 degrees each side of center that I think might be my first issue. I’m not sure yet what to do about the jitter.

I’d like to know if this is the same code currently flashed to the EDTracker so if it doesn’t work I can reflash back it’s original state.

Also, this is my first time doing anything remotely like this so if someone could point to a guide on how to flash the device that would be great.

Thanks and if there are any other thoughts I’d love to hear them!

Edit: I figured out why the inputs were stopping part way. The linear scaling has the affect of limiting the output in a way I didn’t notice. Changing it to 2 gives me what I was looking for.
Last edited by DeviateSquirrel on Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeviateSquirrel

Post by DeviateSquirrel » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:50 pm

Another thought.

What I’m ultimately after is a way to mimic the accelerometer and gyroscope from the DS4 controller. I suppose I could just strap the DS4 to my head but... EDTracker would be a lot more convenient. ;)

Instead of a sketch that converts the the gyro on the EDTracker to joystick, I should be able to pull the gyro and accelerometer values directly, yes? I imagine there will need to be some work beyond that but perhaps it’s ultimately a better choice for this purpose.

As I said in the last post, I’m new to all of this. If there are any recommendations for resources on getting started with something like this or things to be aware of, I’d appreciate the input.

Kharadrass

Post by Kharadrass » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:28 am

Hi, wonder if you can help.

I bought the Edtracker premade version and have assembled into the enclosure and installed arduino leonardo drivers IDE etc correct gui, calibrated as per video by brumster for 9150/9250 calibration. Have two perfect spheres in magnetometer calibration. Have then auto gyro bias while flat and still. Mounted to headset straight and level and am having the recurring problem of yaw drift. The only weird thing is my yaw drift goes left quickly then stops when i look straight up. And if I look straight down the yaw drifts again exactly same way but to the right instead. If i look straight ahead then turn left or right it works perfectly. So only happens when lookingbup or down. I have recalibrated multiple times both on and off the headset. The pro micro was preflashed and have checked via the arduino IDE and sketch is correct. Makes little difference. Can you shed some light on this issue by any chance.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:53 am

@DeviateSquirrel

The firmware flashed into the Pro Micro is version 4.1.1 which can be found here:

https://github.com/brumster/EDTracker2/ ... 2_9250.ino

Unfortunately the EDTracker website is still down so you can’t use the GUI to flash the firmware so currently the only way to flash it is via the Arduino IDE. There’s a few steps you’ll need to do to achieve this. I’m listing them from memory so sorry if I miss a step…

1) Download and install the Arduino IDE from the official Arduino website:

https://www.arduino.cc/en/software

2) Next you’ll need to add board support for the EDTracker to it. To do this download the EDTracker Arduino board files from here:

https://github.com/brumster/EDTracker2_ArduinoHardware

Unzip them and you should have an EDtracker folder containing an AVR folder.

3) Next, locate where your copy of the Arduino IDE is installed. This may vary depending on the version of IDE you’ve installed and your operating system but on Windows 10 it’s usually installed here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\

In that Arduino folder there should be a ‘Hardware folder. Copy the EDTracker folder you just downloaded and unzipped, including its contents into the hardware folder.

The folder structure should then look something like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\edtracker\avr

4) Next run the Arduino IDE and under the Tools->Board menu there should now be an entry for ‘EDTracker 9250’. Select this as the board type.

5) With the EDTracker connected to your computer select it’s COM port in the IDE by going to Tools->Port->COMxx

6) Finally copy the EDTracker sketch form the github page here...

https://github.com/brumster/EDTracker2/ ... 2_9250.ino

...and paste it into the Arduino IDEs main window overwriting anything that’s in there.

You should now be able to compile and upload the sketch by clicking the upload button (circle with a right pointing arrow) found in the top left of the Arduino IDEs main window.

Instead of a sketch that converts the the gyro on the EDTracker to joystick, I should be able to pull the gyro and accelerometer values directly, yes? I imagine there will need to be some work beyond that but perhaps it’s ultimately a better choice for this purpose.

We have an example sketch for the MPU9250 which pulls out the raw uncalibrated values from the sensor. Maybe that will be of help. You can find it in the first post of the MPU9250 thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=1956

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:57 am

@Kharadrass

Have you tried changing the mounting axis.....

EDTracker UI 4.0.4.0_Mounting_Axis.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “EDTracker”