Hobby Components 8x8x8 Cube Kit (HCKITS0050)

Hobby Component self build kits
andrew
Site Admin

Re: Hobby Components 8x8x8 Cube Kit (HCKITS0050)

Post by andrew » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:19 am

Finished mine this afternoon, only 4 dud LEDs.
Works great. The new template makes it a lot easier.
Thanks for the feedback. We just updated the guide for the new temple so that was a quick response.

I moved the LED grid up in the template rather than down so the grid of LEDs moves away from me and doesn't get in the way.
I think possibly the best method is to rotate the temple 180 degrees and then move the rows up (away from you) as you said. That way you get the benefits of the existing rows both being out of your way and out of the way of the newly inserted row. But from a guide point of view it would probably get a bit disorientating if we started rotating the template.

I also fitted a wire across the right hand side top of the cube to hold the grids evenly spaced. The spacing on the grids is 23mm for it to be square.

Another good tip . Out of interest was there enough spare wire in the kit to do this or did you have to use some of your own?
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Fleck

Post by Fleck » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:21 pm

No, used some of my own.

GlowBoy

Post by GlowBoy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:12 pm

Just received my cube kit. Very excited 😆. Interested to know why you decided to drop the “line input” feature? I would have liked to experiment with the cubes audio response!

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:35 am

Glad to hear you're looking forward to building it. With regards to the line input we dropped it simply because sadly there was no interest in that feature so it seemed pointless to charge customers for a feature nobody was using.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

GlowBoy

Post by GlowBoy » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:42 pm

Is the documentation for using the library available in some "off line" format - pdf or such?

PCB completed and 1 8x8 grid all functioning, just 7 more to go :D

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:12 pm

I'm afraid not, it's only available in the software section of this forum here:

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1968

GlowBoy

Post by GlowBoy » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:57 pm

Trying to use the Arduino IDE on a raspberry pi 2 but experiencing problems compiling the example "patterns sketch". Have been successful on my MacBook Pro and have tried to replicate all the settings on the pi where appropriate:-

ie board=nano;
programmer=arduinoISP
processor=ATmega328P old Bootloader
port=/dev/tty/USB0 - pi specific?

It churns up lots of errors such as:-
In file included from /home/pi/Arduino/libraries/HC8x8x8Cube/Examples/HC8x8x8_Play_Patterns/HC8x8x8_Play_Patterns.ino:26:0:
/home/pi/Arduino/libraries/HC8x8x8Cube/HC8x8x8Cube.h:196:1: warning: narrowing conversion of '242' from 'int' to 'char' inside { } [-Wnarrowing]
};
HC8x8x8Cube.h:196 - is the end of a declaration of PROGMEM a 2D array of ints.

Any comments welcome!

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:55 pm

That one is actually a warning and not an error so shouldn't stop it from compiling successfully. Could you paste at least one of the errors you're seeing and I'll take a look. Just look for any line in the output that says error rather than warning.

GlowBoy

Post by GlowBoy » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:55 pm

When I try to upload the code it just recompiled the script and I haven’t noticed it being uploaded. Perhaps it a matter of timing. That seems to be critical between pressing the reset button and the upload button.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:18 am

When I try to upload the code it just recompiled the script and I haven’t noticed it being uploaded.
Did you see any error messages when it tried to upload?

Perhaps it a matter of timing. That seems to be critical between pressing the reset button and the upload button.
Yes, if you're using the cable supplied with the kit you will have to manually press the reset button on the cube at the exact point the Arduino IDE switches from saying its 'compiling' to saying it's 'uploading'. This timing is quite critical. If it's not uploading due to not getting the timing right it will just keep trying to upload and each time timing out with an error like this:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

If you plan to do a lot of uploading you may want to consider a USB to serial adapter that includes the DTR connection like this one:

https://hobbycomponents.com/usb-interfa ... al-adaptor

This would remove the need to have to press the reset button manually.

Return to “Kits”