Hobby Components 8x8x8 Cube Kit (HCKITS0050)

Hobby Component self build kits
cyb0tic

Re: Hobby Components 8x8x8 Cube Kit (HCKITS0050)

Post by cyb0tic » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:47 pm

GAH! powered up this morning to show my daughter, and its failing again... :-(

Well I know where the issue lies now - Ill try to touchup all the solder round the crystal and seee if i can get a permanent fix. Need it to be reliable before I show it off!

Im looking fwd to programming it. Could you tell me .. is it possible to give varing degrees of brightness the the LEDS, or is it strictly on/off ?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:42 pm

GAH! powered up this morning to show my daughter, and its failing again... :-(

Well I know where the issue lies now - Ill try to touchup all the solder round the crystal and seee if i can get a permanent fix. Need it to be reliable before I show it off!
That's a shame but as you said at least we know whereabouts the problem is, but yes do that, resolder in inspect crystal pads and tracks.

If it is of any help I've pasted below the PCB track layout for that area. Red is component side copper/tracks, blue is LED cube side copper/tracks:
PCB_8x8x8_LED_Cube_Crystal.png
Im looking fwd to programming it. Could you tell me .. is it possible to give varing degrees of brightness the the LEDS, or is it strictly on/off ?
It is just on and off I'm afraid.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

cyb0tic

Post by cyb0tic » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:13 pm

Working again! :D

FWIW I touched up all the pins round the microproc - and took off the crystal and remounted it. TOuch wood that it remains in the working state!

Thanks again for the 1st class support here!

Dom

Re: USB to RS232 TTL Serial Interface Cable (HCCABL0015)

Post by Dom » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:04 pm

Hi Andrew

I am on Windows 11 and tried all the suggestions you have posted but still get the error message:-

"avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding"

I have tried the uninstall device at least a dozen times but Win 11 always manages to find its own driver (I think) as it still comes back with the best driver already installed. I have tried select and manual install to no avail. I do browse and locate the unzipped .inf driver file but cannot find the any .ini file you suggest. Even on C:. I don't know where they are stored and not sure what to search for. Tried all obvious I think.

I could try copying the file to a disc and the select "Have Disk" option to keep it isolated from the C: drive but which file do I copy?

The downloaded ser2pl.inf file installed the driver no problem.

Regards
Barry

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:38 am

I have tried the uninstall device at least a dozen times but Win 11 always manages to find its own driver (I think)

Hi Barry, assuming you are following the steps in this post (the one above yours)…

viewtopic.php?p=7398#p7398

… and in particular step 7, it could be that Windows has also assigned this driver to something else and so is not completely uninstalling it. With the cable connected try this…

Follow the steps in the guide but when you get to step 4, notice there is some text at the bottom of the window with a link to ‘Devices by driver’:

Prolific_Uninstall Device_By_Driver.png

Click this link and the device manager window should now show a list of drivers rather than devices.

It should already have selected your USB device (note on your system it may read something different to the one shown in the window below:

Prolific_Uninstall Device_By_Driver_2.png

Select the actual driver listed above your device. In the example it is listed as oem31.inf (ser2pi.inf) but it may read something different on yours as the example is showing the correct driver, the the broken one windows is installing.

Right click it and select ‘Remove driver’

In the window that opens up make sure both the ‘Uninstall this driver from any devices that currently use it’ and the ‘Attempt to force removal of this driver while it is still in use by devices’ checkboxes are checked then click the ‘remove’ button.

Hopefully this will completely remove the broken driver that Windows insists on installing.

You can then switch back to the normal devices view in device manager by going to View->Devices by type

Once you have followed the above try steps 8 to 11 to install the driver you downloaded from the first post of this forum thread.

Hopefully that will fix it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Dom

Post by Dom » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:38 am

Hi Andrew

I followed your instructions and the Prolific for COMx was finally no longer listed in device manager.

I downloaded the prolific drivers again from your link, Just to make sure, unzipped and installed your driver as listed.
Checked the driver version in Properties and it is 3.3.2.102 date 24/09/2008
There has never been any yellow caution signs

Unfortunately am still getting the same error "programmer is not responding".

Having never tried the MS version and thinking they may have caught up, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Microsoft/Prolific version. Checked the version to make sure and it is theirs dated 24/02/2023. But still no luck.

Sorry Andrew but I have no idea what to try next. Its probably something I am doing wrong and I did notice the reset button starts the light sequence from the beginning but I would have expected a delay while it loaded I have tried both holding the reset button down for several seconds or just a quick on/off

Regards Barry Hawthorne

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:35 pm

Unfortunately am still getting the same error "programmer is not responding".
What is reporting this error message? Is it the Arduino IDE? If so could you copy and paste the exact error.

Having never tried the MS version and thinking they may have caught up, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Microsoft/Prolific version. Checked the version to make sure and it is theirs dated 24/02/2023. But still no luck.
Yeah, don't use any version supplied by Microsoft or Prolific, they don't work. Just use the one in the first post of this thread. If device manager is not reporting any errors then it's probably not a driver problem.

One thing you could try to confirm if the cable is working is to do a loop-back test:

Plug the serial cable into your computer but don't connect it to anything. Instead use a piece of wire to link the TXD and RXD wires (green and white cables) together.

Then in the Arduino IDE open up the serial monitor window (tools->Serial Monitor) and type something into the text box at the top of the window then hit enter. With the TXD & RXD cables linked together whatever you type should appear in the Rx area below.

Dom

Post by Dom » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:05 pm

Hi Andrew

Loop-back worked fine.

Yes the error is the result of trying to to upload:

/* FILE: HC8x8x8_Play_Patterns
DATE: 14/03/16
VERSION: 0.1
AUTHOR: Andrew Davies

14/03/16 version 0.1: Original version

Error message below

Sketch uses 13624 bytes (42%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 123 bytes (6%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1925 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5c
Failed uploading: uploading error: exit status 1

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:58 am

Loop-back worked fine.
Great. That means we can rule that out as the problem.

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x5c
The error message simply means 'I can't upload the sketch for some reason'. Which could be any number of things like a physical bad connection on the Tx or Rx lines somewhere, a wrong setting in the Arduino IDE, or just getting the timing wrong on when to press the reset button.

The first thing to check is the Arduino settings. Under the tools menu can you check that you have the following:

Board: "Arduino Nano"
Processor: "ATMega328P (Old Bootloader)
Port: The COM port of your cable

If the above are correct then maybe it's a timing issue on pressing the reset button. Just to sanity check - because the cable doesn't have a DTR line you need to manually reset the cube just at the right point. You need to press the reset button just at the point the Arduino IDE switches from saying it’s 'Compiling' the sketch to saying it’s 'Uploading' it. The timings are pretty critical so it may take a few goes to get right.

Dom

Post by Dom » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:31 pm

Hi Andrew

Sorry but still cant get this to upload. I have tried many many many times to hit the right moment but from "Compiling" to the first "Uploading" message there is only milliseconds. No time to press the button and release. But there are two brief messages on the bottom left of the IDE screen about *Building Sketch" and "Indexing 0/1". Takes about a second. Then I guess the upload starts. I have tried all points in between.

The processor is a problem. There is no processor shown in the tool menu. I have attached a document with screen print of my tools menu and one from the Arduino IDE help/support page hoping it would tell me what I have done wrong.
I selected another board and back again to check the tools menu was working.

Return to “Kits”