Hobby Components 8x8x8 Cube Kit (HCKITS0050)

Hobby Component self build kits
David470

Re: USB to RS232 TTL Serial Interface Cable (HCCABL0015)

Post by David470 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:47 pm

Thanks for your help, i will have a little look to see what i can create. It looks quite complicated, and will take some time and a lot o studying. Thanks again!

David

cyb0tic

Cube failing to light up

Post by cyb0tic » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:18 pm

So I completed the cube, and its not working. Im so sad :(

I tested each 8x8 LED panel as I put them in according to the instructions, and they all worked fine

Then I've soldered all the joins on the left side. I switched it on, and it didnt work.

I found that I had shorted one of the LEDS, and fixed that. I noticed that the 9v adapter had blown too (!)

I tied to run it with the sorted LED fixed, but Now I'm just getting the four feet LEDs glowing a bit (according to the previous pages this means that the arduino chip isnt running apparenltly.)

I really have no idea what I can do next - please advise! THANKS!

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Hobby Components 8x8x8 Cube Kit (HCKITS0050)

Post by andrew » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:48 am

I found that I had shorted one of the LEDS, and fixed that. I noticed that the 9v adapter had blown too (!)
A shorted LED wouldn't cause any damage to the cube so that's fine and we can ignore that. What's more concerning is the blown 9V adapter. A problem on the cube could have blown the adapter or, a problem with the adapter could have caused a problem on the cube.

I tied to run it with the sorted LED fixed, but Now I'm just getting the four feet LEDs glowing a bit (according to the previous pages this means that the arduino chip isnt running apparenltly.)

Yes that's correct, the very first thing the cube should do is flash the base LEDs a few times. If it's not doing that then the microcontroller isn't running. But given the above I think the first thing to check is the power supply.

Do you by any chance have a test meter?
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

cyb0tic

Post by cyb0tic » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:19 am

Ok. so I did somehomework. Ive measured the voltages , and confirm the states you refer to on a previous post...
andrew wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:57 am
Just to confirm (and summerise) by no change in behavior I assume this still means the following...
1) There is no activity from any of the cube LEDs.
2) The 4x 10mm base LED's do not flash then illuminate after about 15 seconds have past from applying power.
3) When touching certain pads you can make the base LEDs change state.
4) The voltage on Pins 7 & 20 of IC U2 is ~ 5V
5) The voltage on pin is ~ 0.75V and on pin 10 ~ 0.5V
andrew wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:57 am
Put the -ve probe of you meter on pin 8 and the +ve on pin 7.
Put the -ve probe on pin 22 and the +ve on pin 20.
In both cases you should measure ~ 5V
Ive re-seated all the ICs (no bent pins).

Ive also run over many ofthe leds with a battery/resistor - with the -ve toughing the vetical LED wires going into the base, and the +ve touching each of the horizontalLED wire planes in turn.
They all illuminate individually as expected. (to be fair Ive not done them all)

Note that I havet yet connected the vertical wiring to each horizontal plane - I want to verify that the microprocessor is functioning correclty first.

Just to be clear - the microrocessor was working when I tested each vertical LED panel. The light were animating as expected - its just failed since inserting all LED panels :-(.

* I did discover a short (across an LED) which Ive fixed
* my 9v adapter is now blown (!) - so Im using the USB power now.
* I had ballsed up a few rows on each panel (LEDs wrong way round) - I found and fixed these on each panels testing ( Step 7)

The other thng to note is that some (4) of the edge LEDs had failed - seemingly during Step 9 (joiing the panels wires down the left side). IVe replaced them.

How Im I supposed to check/resolder components though? I cant understand how anyone could remove the LED matrix and replace it without destroying it. I found it tricky enough just inserting each panel.

Even if there was something dodgy with the LEDs, should the microproc still run ok - indicated by the feet LEDs?

Many thanks!

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:52 am

Ok. so I did somehomework. Ive measured the voltages , and confirm the states you refer to on a previous post...

Thanks, that's helpful information

Ive also run over many ofthe leds with a battery/resistor - with the -ve toughing the vetical LED wires going into the base, and the +ve touching each of the horizontalLED wire planes in turn.
They all illuminate individually as expected. (to be fair Ive not done them all)
I wouldn’t worry about the cube LEDs, there shouldn’t be any kind of fault that would stop the microprocessor running. Whatever the issue is, it is likely on the PCB.

* I did discover a short (across an LED) which Ive fixed
That shouldn’t be a problem as all the LEDs, both base and cube are current limited anyway.

Just to be clear - the microrocessor was working when I tested each vertical LED panel. The light were animating as expected - its just failed since inserting all LED panels :-(.
* my 9v adapter is now blown (!) - so Im using the USB power now.
This is a potential issue. Do you know what your adapter is doing now? I.e is it outputting any kind of voltage or nothing at all?

Could you also check if the microprocessor (U2) is getting hot to the touch when powered from USB?

How Im I supposed to check/resolder components though? I cant understand how anyone could remove the LED matrix and replace it without destroying it. I found it tricky enough just inserting each panel.
Even if there was something dodgy with the LEDs, should the microproc still run ok - indicated by the feet LEDs?

Yes, removing and inserting is very tricky. It is possible though with a lot of care and patience and a suitable pair of long nose pliers but the easiest solution is to unsolder the wires that link each 8x8 grid together so that you can remove and re-insert each 8x8 grid at a time. But as mentioned above, there is no possible fault on the cube LEDs that would stop the microprocessor from working so hopefully you won’t have to resort to that.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

cyb0tic

Post by cyb0tic » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:19 pm

thanks for your responses - I didnt realise you'd responded already before my 2nd posr - amazing!
Adapter is in the bin now :lol: The microproc does not get hot. Currently powering the device from the USB cable plugged into my laptop.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:16 pm

andrew wrote: ↑Mon May 06, 2019 7:57 am
Just to confirm (and summerise) by no change in behavior I assume this still means the following...
1) There is no activity from any of the cube LEDs.
2) The 4x 10mm base LED's do not flash then illuminate after about 15 seconds have past from applying power.
3) When touching certain pads you can make the base LEDs change state.
4) The voltage on Pins 7 & 20 of IC U2 is ~ 5V
5) The voltage on pin is ~ 0.75V and on pin 10 ~ 0.5V

Can I just confirm that number 5 is defiantly the case, that you can measure about 0.75V on pin 9 and about 0.5V o pin 10? That will tell me that the microprocessor is at least trying to start the crystal.

If you do measure those voltages try lifting the crystal (X1) off the PCB a little. You can do this by heating each pad at a time and carefully lifting that side of the crystal slightly whilst that pad is heated.

Also, whilst you are using your soldering iron it's probably worth reheating the solder on capacitors C13 & C14 and also the pads on the microprocessor just in case there's a dry joint that's not obvious.

cyb0tic

Post by cyb0tic » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:55 pm

pin9 0.94 pin 10 0.75 - so 10 is higher than i reported first.

(i found the note from when I tested those pins yesterday, and it was 0.828, 0.657 in order)

cyb0tic

Post by cyb0tic » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:36 pm

it works! Wiggling my crystal seemed to do the trick ! ;)
Thanks for the assistance!

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:17 am

it works! Wiggling my crystal seemed to do the trick ! ;)
Thanks for the assistance!
Excellent. A crystal circuit doesn't need much to stop if from starting up and sometimes a bit of flux or solder can get between a leg and the crystals can. Just lifting it of the PCB usually fixes it.

Return to “Kits”