Wemos/Lolin D32 ESP32 development board (HCWEMO0014)

Wemos ESP8266 based development boards and shields
admin
Site Admin

Wemos/Lolin D32 ESP32 development board (HCWEMO0014)

Post by admin » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:52 pm

The Lolin D32 development board is based on the Espressif systems ESP32 low power system on a chip microcontroller. It has many powerful features including a dual core Arm based processor, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, I2C, I2S, SPI, ADC, DAC, and 4MB flash. The D32 module provides these features in a convenient DIP format and can be programmed directly from a USB interface - no additional programming hardware is required. Additionally, the module also includes a charging circuit for a single cell 3.7V lithium battery, meaning that this module can easily be used in remote applications.

For Arduino users compatibility can be added to the Arduino IDE via the board manager feature - see our support forum for more information. Please note that some features may not currently be supported by the Arduino IDE, however, board files are frequently updated.

Features:

Espressif official ESP32-WROOM-32 module
Latest ESP32 Version: REV1
4MB FLASH
Lithium battery interface, 500mA Max charging current
Compatible with Arduino, MicroPython
Default firmware: latest MicroPython
CPU: Xtensa dual-core (or single-core) 32-bit LX6 microprocessor, operating at 160 or 240 MHz and performing at up to 600 DMIPS
520 KiB SRAM
Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth: v4.2 BR/EDR and BLE
12-bit SAR ADC up to 18 channels
2 × 8-bit DACs
10 × touch sensors (capacitive sensing GPIOs)
Temperature sensor
SPI
I²S interfaces
I²C interfaces
UART
SD/SDIO/CE-ATA/MMC/eMMC host controller
SDIO/SPI slave controller
CAN bus 2.0
Infrared remote controller
Motor PWM
LED PWM
Hall effect sensor
Ultra low power analog pre-amplifier

Drivers

The Wemos D1 mini pro includes a CH340 USB to UART IC to allow it to be programmed directly from the USB port of a computer.

USB 32/64 bit drivers for Microsoft Windows computers can be downloaded from our Github page here:
https://github.com/HobbyComponents/CH340-Drivers

Windows Installation Instructions

Drivers are available in the link below. Simply download and unzip them, connect your D32 to your computer via a USB cable, and when the new hardware is detected, point the wizard to the folder you just unzipped to and it should install without any problems.

Windows Driver here

MAC installation instructions

New code signed version confirmed to work with 10.12 Sierra

CH34x_Install_V1.3.zip

Download the driver (you must be logged in to download).

Once downloaded, double-click the zip file to unzip it.

Run installer found in that folder.

If asked to restart, do not restart just yet.

Now restart your Mac.

Schematic:
sch_d32_v1.0.0_HCWEMO0014.pdf

Adding board support to the Arduino IDE

Latest versions of the Arduino IDE allow for adding additional 3rd party board support directly from within the Arduino IDE. To add support for the Lolin D32 simply open up your Arduino IDE and follow these steps:

1) Go to File->Preferences

2) In the window that opens up find the text box labeled 'Additional Boards Manager URLs:' and paste the following line into it:

https://dl.espressif.com/dl/package_esp32_index.json

Then click the OK button to close the window.

3) Next go to Tools->Board->Boards Manager

4) In the window that opens up look for the entry titled 'esp32 by Espressif Systems version x.x.x' and click on it.

5) In the bottom right-hand corner of this entry you should now see an install button appear. Click on this and board manager will then automatically add all the files necessary to support the ESP32. This may take a few minutes depending on the speed of your internet connection.

6) Now under Tools->Board you will see a set of new additional esp32 based board types including one labeled 'LOLIN D32'.

Disclaimer: Libraries, example code, and diagrams are provided as an additional free service by Hobby Components and are not sold as part of this product. We do not provide any guarantees or warranties as to their accuracy or fitness for purpose. Diagrams are for illustration purposes only and may not be to scale.

Copyright notice: Descriptions and diagrams on this page are copyright Hobby Components Ltd and may not be reproduced without permission.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pao

Re: Wemos/Lolin D32 ESP32 development board (HCWEMO0014)

Post by pao » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:55 am

Perfect thank you :)

timmyadu

Post by timmyadu » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:20 am

From the datasheets and info online, I gather that any pin can essentially be used for any purpose; in other words I can choose which pins to use for uart/spi/i2c, etc. Is this applicable to this board as well?
Also, how do you access the temperature sensor?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:09 am

It's my understanding that this is the case with the caveat that a few of the GPIO cells (34-39) are input only and so can only be connected to input pins of a peripheral.

For the temperature sensor I've not tried this myself but there is an example sketch here:

https://github.com/pcbreflux/espressif/ ... sensor.ino

Edit: Sorry I've just realised I've missundertood the first part of your question. Although you can configure GPIOs to connect to different peripherals there are restrictions on what peripheral and pins you can connect to. It also gets a bit more complicated as some pins perform certain functions on boot and some pins will put the ESP32 into programming mode if driven with an input signal at boot. Also I would suggest taking a look at the schematic for D32 as a few pins are also used by some of the features of the module (LED, battery charge, etc) There seems to be a more in-depth speardsheet here showing the alternate function for GPIO pins - although I can't comment on it's accuracy It should help you figure out which pins can be used:

https://www.esp32.com/download/file.php ... da8ffa09e2
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

itsvc7

Post by itsvc7 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:06 am

How can I configure Bluetooth to work with a cell phone?

Tiffa

Post by Tiffa » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:50 am

Hi Andrew
I bought a couple of Lolin D32 boards from you a while ago and cannot get them to work with Arduino 1.8.9 IDE, when I try to update the Board Manager in the IDE I get error downloading https://dl.espressif.com/dl/package_esp32_index.json message.

Thanks Chris Judge

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:42 am

Hi Chris

I've just tried the link with 1.8.9 and it seems to working fine for me. Could you give it another try, maybe the host was down at the time?
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Tiffa

Post by Tiffa » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:37 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Andre, I've just noticed that the actual error message I get is

Error downloading https://downloads.arduino.cc/packages/p ... index.json

and there is no reference to Lolin D32 ESP32

Thanks Chris

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:16 am

Error downloading https://downloads.arduino.cc/packages/p ... index.json

and there is no reference to Lolin D32 ESP32
The link you're getting the error for isn't the espessif one so there won't be any information for the D32 in that one. In your Arduino IDE could you go to File->preferences and in the window that opens up you'll see towards the bottom a text box labelled 'Additional Boards Manager URLs' which will be the place where you pasted the original espressif link. On the right-hand side of that text box you'll see a window expansion button. Click that and another window will open up showing any links you've pasted into that box.

Can you check that the link you've pasted in there looks exactly like the one I've highlighted my window shown below. Also, if you have more than one link pasted can you make sure they are all on separate lines like it is in mine.

2019-04-24 09_18_19-Additional Boards Manager URLs.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tiffa

Post by Tiffa » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:26 am

Return to “WeMos”