Pressure Sensor MPS20N0040D-D (HCSENS0009)

Resistors, capacitors, transistors, LED's IC's, etc.
admin
Site Admin

Pressure Sensor MPS20N0040D-D (HCSENS0009)

Post by admin » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:22 pm

Description:
Pressure range :0-5 .8 psi (40kpa);
Product Features:
Solid, MEMS technology, high reliability
Low cost
Wide monitoring and control media
The application of a wide temperature range
Easy to use, easy to install in OEM equipment
Application areas:
Automotive: tire pressure, car air pump, MAP sensor, diagnostic equipment, automotive sensors.
Industry: Air brake switch, portable pressure gauge, such as digital pressure gauge, environmental monitoring, consumer and sports
Health care: patient monitoring and diagnostic equipment, such as blood pressure monitors, medical instrumentation and monitoring
Range: 40kpa (differential pressure)
Output: mV signal
Supply Voltage: 5VDC or constant current 1Ma
Linear accuracy: 0.25% FS

Pressure range of 580 PSIG, 40KPaG
Max pressure capacity of three times the measuring range
Working supply 5 VDC,
Input impedance of 4 - 6 KΩ
Output impedance of 4 - 6 KΩ
Operating temperature -40 - 85 ° C -40 ° F - +185 ° F
Storage Temperature -40 - 125 ° C -40 ° the F - +257 ° F
Accessible media, clean, dry, non-corrosive gases
Bias voltage ± 25 mV
Full-scale output voltage 50 - 100 mV
Bridge Resistance to 4 - 6 KΩ
Linearity ± 0.3% F.S.
Hysteresis ± 0.7% F.S.
Bias Temperature coefficient ± 0.08% of F.S. / °c

Interfacing to a microcontroller:
This sensor can be interfaced to a microcontroller such as an Arduino development board using our bridge sensor interface module (HCMODU0073)

Datasheet:
Pressure Sensor HCSENS0009.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stu.C

Re: Pressure Sensor MPS20N0040D-D (HCSENS0009)

Post by Stu.C » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:56 pm

Hmm, you want to help a software guy out with a schematic based around hooking one of these up to an Arduino? ;)

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:53 pm

Unfortunately we can't provide design resources but I can give you a few tips to point you in the right direction. The device is based on something called a Wheatstone bridge. If you just want a basic way to measure pressure via a micro-controller without too much accuracy then I suggest using a simple op-amp circuit.

You can look at the internal schematic of this sensor (see datasheet) as two potential dividers. One of the dividers has both resistors fixed (approx 5.2K) and so when you apply 5V across it you will always see approximately half that voltage between the two, i.e 2.5V.

On the other potential divider, one of the two resistors will change in value depending on the amount of air pressure applied to the device (R3 in diagram although if I remember correctly the diagram view is from below the device). So the voltage at the center tap of this potential divider will change very slightly depending on pressure. At 1 bar, i.e. no air pressure applied to this component, it will also measure approximately 2.5V at the center tap of this potential divider. If you where to place a volt meter across the center taps of both potential dividers you will measure the voltage difference (differential) between both. At 1 bar there will be no difference (both at approx 2.5V) so you will measure 0 volts. Applying air pressure will cause a difference in voltage. Depending on how much air pressure is applied this differential voltage will be quite small, ten's of millivolts. This will not be much more than the sensitivity of your micro-controllers analogue input so you will need to amplify this using a differential op-amp circuit. An example of one of these is in the datasheet. Googling "differential op-amp" will also provide many examples of this. Here is an example of one of the many amplifiers available that even includes a bridge application (page 11) and at first sight has about the right amount of fixed gain: http://www.analog.com/static/imported-f ... /AD626.pdf
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Stu.C

Post by Stu.C » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:01 pm

Sometimes you can try for a free lunch and get lucky, other times you get a snack.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers, Stu

blue<-bird01

Post by blue<-bird01 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:47 pm

The pdf link is broken can you please repaire the link, or give a text description of the pinouts ?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:59 pm

Sorry about that. I have no idea why it broke but it should be fixed now.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

dergi

Post by dergi » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:50 pm

Stu.C, well this snack must’ve been filling since they told you all about using this particular pressure sensor. However, I was wondering if there are some other wide-band pressure sensors with a greater pressure sensing range. I have to use one in my car and in the compartment I intend to use it in has pressure developing up to 100kPa. Thank you for providing all the information regarding this sensor as well.

pcb fabrication
Last edited by dergi on Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:25 pm

I have seen sensors that do this but this is quite a high pressure and it's not something we stock I'm afraid.

Sasitha

Post by Sasitha » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:04 am

I purchased this pressure sensor and is in the process of checking it, what i want to know is should the pressure(voltage value ) change if i blow air into , also is the method of my connections correct, this is how i connected the pressure sensor: http://langster1980.blogspot.com/2014/1 ... -with.html

Thank you in advance

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:07 am

It will change, but by a very small amount. Just about detectable on a standard multimeter but too small for say an ADC on an Arduino to measure. To use it you'll need a bridge sensor amplifier such as this one:

http://hobbycomponents.com/sensors/577- ... ace-module

Return to “Components”