Minebea Hybrid Nema 17 stepper motor (HCROBO0016)

Various stepper / DC motors and servo's
admin
Site Admin

Minebea Hybrid Nema 17 stepper motor (HCROBO0016)

Post by admin » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:47 pm

Description:
These motors rotate at fixed angles by digitally controlled electronic pulses. Hybrid-type stepping motor combine a rotor with a permanent magnet and a magnetic body using ball bearings. Bearings are crucial to motor precision. Minebea's hybrid type stepping motors use high-precision ball bearings manufactured in-house greatly contributing to the precision and reliability of these products.

The Minebea hybrid stepper motor is similar in design to the Nema 17 specification making it ideal for use in robotics and 3D printer applications.

Specification:

Stepper motor Model: 17PU-H302-P1ST
Stepper motor specifications: 42 * 42 MM
Stepper motor Height: 35 MM
Output shaft: 5 MM
Output shaft length: 12 MM
Weight: 288 g

2-phase 4-wire connection method:

Green A +
Yellow A-
White B +
Black B-
Orange and red 2-wire floating not connected

Resistance: 7 Ohm
Voltage: 5V
Current: 0.5A
Step angle: 3.75 ° (1 turn 96 steps)
Motor High: 35mm
Shaft: 5mm
Shaft Length: 12mm
Weight: 288 g

Supplied Gear:

Tooth type: MXL
Teeth: 21
Pitch: 2.032mm
Tooth width: 6.5mm

Supplied Mounting plate:

Mounting hole centre distace: 43.5mm
Mounting hole diameter: M3

Ger 7 - Bra 1

Re: Minebea Hybrid Nema 17 stepper motor (HCROBO0016)

Post by Ger 7 - Bra 1 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:34 am

I am new to mechanics - an entrepreneur with am idea, building a prototype situation. In a prior discussion with HC on their ebay site it was explained to me that this is what i want. I will buy 3 or 6 of these but first I need to know somethings:

1)How would i get to switch on/off all motors at the same time?
2)Keep them all at the same speed?
3)From a single switch and be mains powered?

Can someone please up a diagram of what this circuit should look like as well as give a rundown of tools and equipment needed? I noticed that there are bear wires in this image; but other motors have a red plastic connector - I know nothing about this will my motor come ready connected or do I have to do this myself? What do the different coloured wires mean? :oops:

Regards,

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:12 am

1)How would i get to switch on/off all motors at the same time?
It's important to to first understand that stepper motors work in a different way to normal DC motors. You can't just apply a voltage across them to make them rotate like you would do with a DC motor. They instead need a sequence of pulsed voltages applied to each of their coils in a sequence to make them rotate. This is done by use of a stepper motor driver board. If you wish to use stepper motors like the one in this forum they need to be connected to one of these drivers which will generate the pulses to the motor for you. We do sell several types of driver suitable for this type of motor but if you want a belt and braces solution then you may want to look at our TB6560 driver here:

http://forum.hobbycomponents.com/viewto ... 6560#p2687

Most stepper motor controller like the one in the link above tend to work in the same way. They usually have 3 control inputs, a step, direction and enable input:

Step input: By pulsing a voltage (5V) on this input causes the stepper motor to turn by a small increment.

Direction: Applying 5V to the direction input will cause the motor to turn in one direction each time the step input is pulsed, applying 0V will cause it to turn in the opposite direction.

Enable: Applying either 5V or 0V will enable or disable drive to the motor.

So to answer the above question you can just switch 5V to the enable input.
2)Keep them all at the same speed?
So long as the pulse to the step input of each controller occurs at the same time, each motor will rotate at exactly the same speed. This is one of the advantages of using a stepper motor over an ordinary DC motor.

3)From a single switch and be mains powered?
As mentioned above, you would normally use a microcontroller to generate the 3 signals required for the driver boards such as one of the Arduino boards we sell. If you have any experience of using these boards you can even do something like using a combination of Arduino Uno and LCD shield to have and LCD and push button control interface.
Can someone please up a diagram of what this circuit should look like as well as give a rundown of tools and equipment needed?
There is a simplified diagram in the driver board link above that will give you an idea or how the motor is connected.
I noticed that there are bear wires in this image; but other motors have a red plastic connector - I know nothing about this will my motor come ready connected or do I have to do this myself?
These motors are supplied with bare wires, but notice that the driver board in the link above has screw terminal blocks.

What do the different coloured wires mean?
The wires are connected to the +ve and -ve sides of the motor's coils labelled A+, A-, B+, B-. There is a description of each wire in the first post of this thread. You'll see on the TB6560 controller there are similar labelled terminals.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Ger 7 - Bra 1

Post by Ger 7 - Bra 1 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:36 pm

Well thank you for that. There is allot to digest, thats why a complete noob like me with an idea would rather get someone to just build it for me lest I buy all this equipment then mess it all up beyond repair.

My intuition tells me that two identical DC motors would give me the effect I need with far less complication. Do you sell any powerful enough to spin the required weight around about 6 x a minute? once per 10 secs?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:43 pm

I'm afraid at the moment all the DC motors we sell are relatively small and wouldn't be suitable. Just to throw some extra complication into the mix, you may find that even with DC motors you will still end up needing a speed controller to provide a 'soft start' so that they don't jolt the table. With the weight of your table you'll need motors with plenty of torque to get the table turning. It's probably a case of trying it and seeing what happens.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Return to “Motors & Servos”