TowerPro MG946R Metal Gear Servo (HCROBO0009)

Various stepper / DC motors and servo's
admin
Site Admin

TowerPro MG946R Metal Gear Servo (HCROBO0009)

Post by admin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:16 pm

Description:

The MG946R Servo is a popular high speed, high torque metal gear digital servo providing stable and shock proof opperation. Compliant with most standard receiver interfaces: Futaba, Hitec, Sanwa, GWS etc. Great for RC truck, Boat, Racing Car, Helicopter and Airplane and microcontroller projects.

Specification:

Power Supply: Through External Adapter.
Stable and Shock Proof. - Metal Gear - Double Ball Bearing - Connector Wire Length 300mm
Dimension : 40.7x19.7x42.9mm
Weight : 68g
Operating Speed : 0.20sec / 60 degrees (4.8V no load)
Operating Speed : 0.17sec / 60 degrees (6.0V no load)
Stall Torque : 10.5kg/cm(4.8V),13kg/cm(6V)
Operation Voltage : 4.8 - 7.2Volts
Gear Type: All Metal Gears
Dead band width: 10us
Temperature range: 0--55C
Connector Wire: Heavy Duty, 11.81" (300mm)

FAQ:

Can i power this servo directly from my Arduino?

No, the 5V output on most Arduino development boards is not capable of powering an MG946R. This is a high powered servo and is capable of drawing > 1A of current even when not loaded. A standard Arduino is only capable of outputting 0.5A of current when powered via a standard USB port, or ~1A via an external adapter (this is also dependent on Arduino type, external adapter voltage, power etc.). As a result attempting to power this servo from an Arduino will cause the 5V supply to overload and momentarily 'brown out' which will cause some of the following symptoms:

Your Arduino may frequently crash and reset causing your sketch to restart.
The 5V regulator on the Arduino will get excessively hot and may even become permanently damaged.
The servo may to not move or when moving randomly stall.
The servo may not travel smoothly giving the effect of a broken gear
The servo continually surge and slow down.

Even if your servo appears to be working ok when powered from an Arduino 5V power supply we strongly recommend not powering it in this way as you may permanently damage your Arduino.

Can I control this servo directly from a PWM pin of my Arduino?

Yes, you can connect the servo directly to any 5V digital output pin of an Arduino. Just connect the servo as follows:

Arduino...........Servo
PWM pin..........Signal (Orange)
GND................0V (Black)

You will need also need to provide power to the servo via an external 5V supply (see above). Connect the supply as follows:

5V Supply........Servo
+5V................5V (RED)
0V..................0V (Black)

Return to “Motors & Servos”