Hobby Components Maze Runner (HCROBO0052)

Hobby Component self build kits
admin
Site Admin

Hobby Components Maze Runner (HCROBO0052)

Post by admin » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:46 pm

This kit allows you to build your very own maze solving robot. It comes complete with everything you need including all the electronics motors and sensors. Just build the robot (soldering required), connect a PP3 battery (not included) and it's ready to go exploring. The kit also includes a book providing detailed instructions on how to build, commission, design a maze, and even program the Maze Runner yourself.

The Maze Runner is also designed to be compatible with the Arduino IDE which means with just the addition of a programming cable you can reprogram the Maze runner to follow your own commands. This opens the Maze Runner up to not just being a maze solving robot, but a general purpose robotic vehicle. To make reprogramming as easy as possible an Arduino compatible library can be downloaded from our support forum giving you access to the Maze runners hardware.

Example - Reprogramming the Maze Runner to follow a line:

Code: Select all

#include "HCMRunner.h"

/* Create an instance of the HCMRunner library */
HCMRunner HCMRunner;

void setup()
{
  /* Initialise the library */
  HCMRunner.Init();

/* Play a quick start tune */   
  HCMRunner.PlayTune(Turn_Tune);

/* First we need to calibrate all the line sensors. The robot should be placed on the start line
     where it will rotate in both directions to measure the difference between a line and no line */
  HCMRunner.LS_ON();
  HCMRunner.CalibrateLineSensors();
}

void loop()
{
  /* Use the line sensors to follow a line */
  HCMRunner.SensorMove(STRAIGHT);
}

The Maze runner also features a prototyping area should you wish modify the hardware, and headers to allow additional boards to be added.

Please note: This kit contains electronic components which will require soldering. We have deliberately designed this kit to only use through-hole components to make soldering as easy as possible. To build the kit you will require a soldering iron, solder, some basic tools. Some experience in soldering through-hole components is recommended.

Features:

Fully programmable microcontroller.
Geared motors with larger tires providing plenty of traction.
5 line sensors for line following and turn sensing.
On-board speaker for playing musical notes or tunes.
Highly maneuverable with forward/reverse drive and able to turn on its own axis.
Pre-Programmed to explore and solve a maze - no programming skills required.
Compatible with the Arduino IDE.
Arduino library available to make writing you own code as easy as possible.
Prototyping area to add your own custom hardware.
Connections for optional Bluetooth and ultrasonic modules.
Through-hole components to make construction as easy as possible.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Library

No programming is required to use the Maze Runner but if you wish re-reprogram it an Arduino compatible library can be downloaded below:

http://forum.hobbycomponents.com/viewto ... 4763#p4763

The library also includes example sketches including the default maze solving sketch that comes pre-programmed into the Maze Runner.

Schematics
Maze_Runner_Standard_Power_Board_Schematic.pdf
Maze_Runner_Standard_Drive_Board_Schematic.pdf

ERRATA:

When attaching the two drive motors to the drive board it is very important that they are in the correct orientation otherwise the motors will rotate in the opposite direction. You can reference the following diagram to identify the positive terminal on each motor and correct orientation when fitting them to the drive board:

User Manual Page 8: Component designation for 100nF capacitors could read C6, C7, C8, C11, C12, C13, C14
User Manual Page 12: The two 10K resistors R9 & R11 are described with colour banding brown, black, black, orange, brown - the correct banding should be brown, black, black, red, brown.
User Manual Page 24: The two 100K resistors R2 & R3 are described with colour banding brown, black, black, yellow, brown - the correct banding should be brown, black, black, orange, brown.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DaveA

Re: Hobby Components Maze Runner (HCROBO0052)

Post by DaveA » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:44 pm

There seems to be a couple of small errors in the manual which I thought were worth pointing out:

Page 12 - The 10K resistors are described as "Brown, Black, Black, Orange, Brown" which is the colour code for 100K. Since there are a couple of 100K resistors for the other board, I think this might catch somebody out. The correct "Brown, Black, Black, Red, Brown" resistors are supplied.

Page 24 - Likewise, the two 100K resistors are described as "Brown, Black, Black, Yellow, Brown" which is the colour code for 1M which are not in the kit anyway

I assume the values are correct and the error is with the colour code description though these are incorrectly shown in the diagrams.

These small things aside, It's an excellent kit. I really like the quality ring bound manual which reminds me of my 1982 Sinclair Spectrum manual! (that dates me a bit). A refreshing change in these days of multi-lingual scraps of paper in broken Engrish, or no instructions at all.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:07 am

Thanks for this. I've added them to the errata list and the manual will be corrected in the next print.
I really like the quality ring bound manual which reminds me of my 1982 Sinclair Spectrum manual!
Now you come to mention it, the format is quite similar to the old 8 bit computer manuals. Especially the old Sinclair and Commodore ones :-)
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

richarn

Post by richarn » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:16 pm

Hi I built the Maze runner and it solves the maze correctly , however when it as put back to the start position after the first pass it does not seem to remember the maze it has just solved. Can you tell me if any one else to your knowledge has encountered this. Many thanks. Nigel

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:12 am

however when it as put back to the start position after the first pass it does not seem to remember the maze it has just solved
I just need to clarify the correct operation...

1) On the first pass it should navigate the maze to find the end.

2) Once it has found the end it then attempts to solve the maze.

3) After solving the maze, on the second pass it will then take a direct route to the end of the maze.

After that it needs to be reset to start again from step one.

Is this what your maze runner is doing or are you saying it never gets passed step 2?
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

richarn

Post by richarn » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:56 pm

Yes is does stage one and starts stage two it makes about 3 correct moves on stage 2 but then goes strait on and ignores the rest of the maze.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:34 pm

Thanks for your answer...

Is it possible to upload an image or sketch of your maze? I'll check it against the code just to make sure there are no issues there.

I assume it doesn't generally have any problems completing the first stage? Especially the point where it gets it wrong stage 2. I Just want to confirm that it's not having issues seeing the lines that's all.

richarn

Post by richarn » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:48 pm

No problems with first stage , however I did not read the errata before assembly and now find that I have substituted the two resistors on the motor board for the ones on the power supply board. Hoping to rectify this tomorrow if my solder sucker is up to it. Thanks for your reply.
Regards
Nigel

DaveA

Post by DaveA » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:14 am

I bought my Maze Runner 3 years ago and it worked fine first time. I now want to try my hand at a bit of programming of it. I have a FTDI USB-Serial adaptor which I have used successfully to upload sketches to the 4x4x4 LED cube (as an alternative to the supplied cable, just to try it out).

I would welcome some clarification on how this should be used with the robot. I am aware of the connection diagram in the manual but I would like more detail.

I have it correctly connected with the 2 halves of the robot together and the robot's power off. When I connect to the PC USB it powers up the robot with wheels turning etc. My concern is (apart from keeping it still while programming it!) that it was struggling to draw enough power from the USB to function properly (not to mention possibly damaging the adaptor and the PC USB port.)

Should the robot be switched on as well to provide sufficient power? But then there are 2 seperate power sources going into the robot. Can that cause problems?

As I'm using single Dupont connectors to connect the adaptor to the robot, It's possible to just connect TX, DX, DTR, possibly GRN and not the power so the robot is powered by it's battery and the adaptor is independently powered by the PC USB. Would that be better or is it unneccessary?

Are any of the above the accepted way to do it, just OK or a bad idea?

Regards
Dave

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:04 am

Yeah although the supplies for the motors and the rest of the circuit are separate I think there is some leakage through the L9110Hs.

Best solution is how you suggest, just connect power to the Maze Runner via the battery and just don't connect the 5V connection from the USB adapter to it. As long as GND is connected that should work fine.

Return to “Kits”