LC MAXII Altera EPM240 CPLD development board (HCDVBD0006)

Altera development boards and accessories
admin
Site Admin

LC MAXII Altera EPM240 CPLD development board (HCDVBD0006)

Post by admin » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:18 pm

Order Yours Here.

Description:

Low cost development board for the Altera EPM240T100C5 (MAXII) CPLD device. Using Altera's free design suite complex schematic or HDL designed can be easily created and downloaded into this development board (hardware programmer required, available here). An on board regulator allows and standard DC socket allows for convenient powering. There is also an on-board crystal to allow your designs to include clocks and other timing functions.

Please note: An external power supply (ideally 5V) is required to power this board.

On-board EPM240T100C5 chip
On-board JTAG interface
On-board 50MHZ active crystal
On-board programmable LED
On-Board 3.3V regulator
5V power supply socket with switch
Easy access to all IO pins via headers
Board size 5CM * 7CM

Altera product information page

Recommended accessories:

Hobby Components Altera Blaster compatible CPLD/FPGA programmer: http://hobbycomponents.com/featured/273 ... compatible

USB to 2.1mm power lead: http://hobbycomponents.com/cables/789-1 ... -jack-plug

Schematic:
Altera_EPM240T100C5_Development_Board_HCDVBD0006_Schematic.zip

Software:

Altera Quartus II Web Edition (13.0)

Altera Quartus Prime Lite Edition (15.1)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vortexnl

Re: LC MAXII Altera EPM240 CPLD development board (HCDVBD000

Post by vortexnl » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:31 pm

What pin of the CPLD is connected to the external crystal? I'm pretty now to this, and I need to know how to access it. I tried looking at the schematic file but there is no crystal on that...

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:46 pm

The crystal is represented by symbol P9 on the schematic. It should be connected to pin 12 on the CPLD (RI/O_GCLK0p).
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Nuddy

Post by Nuddy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:38 pm

Got an idea that it's a complete oscillator - not just a quartz - that's why there's only one connection (and a +vcc).
Gordon

nief

Post by nief » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:25 am

Hi,

I was unaware that this board required a power supply.
However, looking at http://forum.hobbycomponents.com/viewto ... =88&t=2076, that does seem to be the case. For this device however, it is a bigger problem, as the board does not seem to support ASP-connection, so there is no way to connect the device without it.

Does this one work for this board as well (fetched from the description of the cyclone board)? http://hobbycomponents.com/cables/789-1 ... -jack-plug
If so, I suggest it is added to the description. People with no fpga experience might not know this, and it is rather unsatisfying to have to pay for shipping twice, as well as having to wait the extra time to receive it.
You might wanna recommend buying one of those on your ebay listing as well:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Altera-FPGA- ... 2749.l2649

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:09 pm

I was unaware that this board required a power supply.
Yes you do need to power it via its DC power socket. Ideally using a 5V power adapter, or alternatively you can power it directly via the 3.3V and GND header pins. This is normally the case with large CPLDs, and in particular FPGAs as depending on the design they can consume more power than a standard USB port can supply. As a result, although in most cases powering via a USB port will be fine, depending on your design you may need an external adapter.
it is a bigger problem, as the board does not seem to support ASP-connection, so there is no way to connect the device without it.
The device is programmed via a JTAG programmer, not ASP. In either case most programmers will not power the device (most likely for the above reasons).

Does this one work for this board as well
Yes that cable is suitable for this development board.

I suggest it is added to the description
You might wanna recommend buying one of those on your ebay listing as well:
The cable is a relatively recent addition to our product range and so is why it isn't mentioned in the description for this board. It is a good point though, I'll get it added to the descriptions. Edit: However we won't be able to add the cable to the eBay page as we don't sell the cable on eBay and due to eBay policies we can't externally link to it.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

wildpalms

Re: LC MAXII Altera EPM240 CPLD development board (HCDVBD0006)

Post by wildpalms » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:57 am

Just received one of these. The schematic gives me the impression the switch is a power switch but mine seems to be momentary. Is is meant to be latching?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:01 am

Yes you are correct, it is a power switch. We do check every Altera board ourselves but its possible that the switch could been knocked in transit. Can you check that the white bezel is clipped onto the base properly, I believe there are two clips on opposite sides of the switch. Also I've seen on one or two occasions where some flux from the flux wash process has gotten into the switch and gummed it up a little so could you try giving it a few firm presses to see if that fixes the problem.

wildpalms

Post by wildpalms » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:53 pm

Sorry for the slow reply. The switch looks fine and depresses OK; just doesn't have any desire to latch. I decided a switch a daft thing to fit to one of these boards anyway so I removed it. Problem solved.

opidmx512

Post by opidmx512 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:20 pm

In the schematic there is +5V on P1 pin 17. But this is the only reference to 5V. Is this a not connected pin?

Thanks, Arjan

Return to “Altera”