STM32F103 Black Pill Development Board (HCDVBD0033)

ST Microelectronics microcontroller development boards and accessories
admin
Site Admin

STM32F103 Black Pill Development Board (HCDVBD0033)

Post by admin » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:33 am

The STM32F103C8T6 (HCDVBD0033 / Black pill) Development Board is a low cost but feature rich alternative to an Arduino. The board features an ST Microelectronics STM32F103C8 Arm microprocessor running at a 72MHz clock speed. Coupled with 64K of Flash and 20K of SRAM this development board provides a powerful alternative to an Arduino. This development board is also not short on peripherals with 30 I/O pins, 14 of which can be configured as 12 bit ADC inputs, 12 as PWM with most pins being 5V tolerant. Supplied with the module are a set of 0.1" pitch headers (require soldering) which provide the option or breadboard mounting it with easy connection of standard Dupont cables.

For programming there is the option of using the STLink download adapter (see item HCDVBD0016) or a standard USB to 3.3V TTL adapter (see item HCMODU0051). Support for this board can be added to the Arduino IDE via the board manager feature. See the following blog post for full instructions on how to quickly get up and running here:

http://blog.hobbycomponents.com/?p=703

Please note that this development board is the original STM32F103 based 'black pill' development board and not the STM32F401 or F411 based development board which is also unofficially referred to as the 'black pill' development board.

Feature comparison to Pro Mini:

Specification:

Part number: HCDVBD0033
Power: 3.3V or 5V via microUSB
Processor: ST Microelectronics STM32F103C8
Flash memory: 64K
SRAM: 20K
I/O (MAX): 30
Analogue pins: 14
PWM pins: 12
UART: 3
SPI: 2
I2C: 2

Pinout:

Programing via serial bootloader with Arduino IDE:

Example Arduino 'blink' sketch:

Code: Select all

#define LED_PIN PB12

void setup() 
{
  pinMode(LED_PIN, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() 
{
  digitalWrite(LED_PIN, HIGH);
  delay(1000);
  digitalWrite(LED_PIN, LOW);
  delay(1000);
}

HCDVBD0033_Black_Pill_Schematic.pdf

FAQ:

When I configure pins PB3 & PB4 as inputs/outputs they don't seem to work. What am I doing wrong?

Pins PB3 & PB4 also function as JTAG debug pins. Ast his debug mode is tuned on by default you will need to disable it to use these pins as general purpose IO pins. You can do this by adding the following line to the top of setup() function in your Arduino sketch:

Code: Select all

afio_cfg_debug_ports(AFIO_DEBUG_SW_ONLY);

Disclaimer: Libraries, example code, and diagrams are provided as an additional free service by Hobby Components and are not sold as part of this product. We do not provide any guarantees or warranties as to their accuracy or fitness for purpose.

Descriptions and diagrams on this page are copyright Hobby Components Ltd and may not be reproduced without permission.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jjpython

Re: STM32F103 Black Pill Development Board (HCDVBD0033)

Post by jjpython » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:04 pm

I have just ordered one of these from you guys, I saw it can be programmed with a serial adapter, does this Include an ftdi to usb adapter, I'm quite new to all this but have some experience with raspberry pi and Arduino, not much but some, I assume that the Rx and TX are the same and I can jumper the ftdi to 3.3v and off I go, also I have read the blue pill can have a boot loader written to enable the usb for upload, is this the same for this black pill board

Thank you for taking the time to read, and maybe laugh, but thanks
Une comprГ©hension de base des variables dГ©pendantes de l'Гўge et de l'interaction des tests thermiques cliniques n'impliquant pas la site kamagra fiable gestion de la douleur.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:37 pm

I have just ordered one of these from you guys, I saw it can be programmed with a serial adaptor, does this Include an ftdi to usb adaptor, I'm quite new to all this but have some experience with raspberry pi and Arduino, not much but some, I assume that the Rx and TX are the same and I can jumper the ftdi to 3.3v and off I go,

Yes any of the common USB to serial adaptors should work (FTDI CH340 CP2102 etc).

Although the STM32 on the black pill is a 3.3V part the serial pins are actually 5V tolerant. So it should be fine so long as if you're also using the adaptor to power the black pill you use the adaptors 3.3V power output.

also I have read the blue pill can have a boot loader written to enable the usb for upload, is this the same for this black pill board
It's effectively a slightly better quality version of the blue pill and has the same version of STM32 fitted so anything you can do with a blue pill you can do with this version of the black pill.

Thank you for taking the time to read, and maybe laugh, but thanks
Not at all, they are good questions and with electronics if your're not sure it's far better to ask then to guess!
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

jjpython

Post by jjpython » Fri May 01, 2020 3:34 pm

Thank you for the help, it's very much appreciated, I may have some more questions but so far this is perfect

I'm building a force feedback wheel and was recommended the blackpoll board, it's a new leap of tech from the Arduino pro micros I am using for button boxes for my gaming stuff
Une comprГ©hension de base des variables dГ©pendantes de l'Гўge et de l'interaction des tests thermiques cliniques n'impliquant pas la site kamagra fiable gestion de la douleur.

justanotherrob

Post by justanotherrob » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:29 am

I have recently bought a couple of these boards from you and there appears to be a discrepancy.
On the spec sheet and the schematic posted above, pin 1 of JP3 in the bottom left corner is shown as GND. On the board in front of me, it's marked on the silk screen as "V5", and when I power the board from the USB socket my multimeter suggests it's at 5V
Could you confirm whether this is a design change?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:34 am

Thanks for pointing this out. I can confirm that this is a design change and affects the very latest batch of modules. I have now updated the images in the first post to reflect this change.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

justanotherrob

Post by justanotherrob » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:00 pm

Thanks, although you only seem to have fixed the linked blog, not the ones up top of this thread. Possibly the BB software won't let you do that?

On a similar note, I've been cross-referencing the diagram above against the schematic and the ST datasheet. The diagram on the spec sheet marks a block of green "analogue" pins on the left, pins PA8..PA15. According to the ST datasheet these are not analogue inputs. ADC12_IN8..9 are on ports PB0..1 while ACD12_IN10..15 are not available on the F103C (48 pin) devices.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:30 pm

Thanks, although you only seem to have fixed the linked blog, not the ones up top of this thread. Possibly the BB software won't let you do that?
Your browser is probably caching the old version. Try doing a browser refersh (ctrl-r in chrome)

The diagram on the spec sheet marks a block of green "analogue" pins on the left, pins PA8..PA15. According to the ST datasheet these are not analogue inputs. ADC12_IN8..9 are on ports PB0..1 while ACD12_IN10..15 are not available on the F103C (48 pin) devices.
Yep, just had a quick look at the datasheet myself and I agree! Must have referenced the wrong column for the ADC pins. I'll re-check it and will get it updated as soon as I get chance - thanks for pointing it out!

justanotherrob

Post by justanotherrob » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:58 pm

Good call on the caching - force refresh did update it. Thanks.

Return to “ST Microelectronics”