STM8S103F3 Development Board (HCDVBD0017)

ST Microelectronics microcontroller development boards and accessories
admin
Site Admin

STM8S103F3 Development Board (HCDVBD0017)

Post by admin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:37 pm

This development/breakout board (HCDVBD0017) is based around the ST Microelectronics S103F3P6 microcontroller. STM8 microcontrollers are an ultra low cost solution to embedded control. This development board provides convenient access to the devices I/O pins via standard 2.54mm pitch headers. Besides providing access to most of the microcontrollers I/O, there is additionally a microUSB connector for powering from a USB port, and a standard ST SWIM programming/emulation header that allows for programming or debugging using a compatible programmer such as our low cost ST-Link compatible USB programmer (HCDVBD0016). An on-board 3.3V regulator provides power to the board ans is supplied via the 5V USB or 5V header pins. The ST tool chain (STVD) is available as a free download from the ST website and is fully compatible with this board. There are also additional third party tools such as the Cosmos ANSI C compiler (8K limited) and the SDCC (Small Device C Compiler) which can be downloaded for free. Links to these tools are provided at the bottom of this post.

Order Yours Here.

Key Features
16 MHz advanced STM8 core with Harvard architecture and 3-stage pipeline
Extended instruction set
Program memory: 8 Kbytes Flash; data retention 20 years at 55 °C after 10 kcycles
Data memory: 640 bytes true data EEPROM; endurance 300 kcycles
RAM: 1 Kbytes
2.95 to 5.5 V operating voltage
Flexible clock control, 4 master clock sources:
Low power crystal resonator oscillator
External clock input
Internal,user-trimmable 16 MHz RC
Internal low power 128 kHz RC
Clock security system with clock monitor
Power management:Low power modes (wait, active-halt, halt) Switch-off peripheral clocks individually
Permanently active,low consumption power-on and power-down reset
Nested interrupt controller with 32 interrupts
Up to 27 external interrupts on 6 vectors
Advanced control timer: 16-bit, 4 CAPCOM channels, 3 complementary outputs, dead-time insertion and flexible synchronization
16-bit general purpose timer, with 3 CAPCOM channels (IC, OC or PWM)
8-bit basic timer with 8-bit prescaler
Window watchdog, independent watchdog timers
UART with clock output for synchronous operation, Smartcard, IrDA, LIN master mode
SPI interface up to 8 Mbit/s
I2C interface up to 400 Kbit/s
10-bit, ±1 LSB ADC with up to 5 multiplexed channels, scan mode and analog watchdog
16 I/Os on a 20-pin package including 12 high sink outputs
Highly robust I/O design, immune against current injection
96-bit unique ID key for each device

Example 'Blink' Program:

Code: Select all

/* FILE:    STM8S103F3_Blink_Example
   DATE:    30/03/17
   VERSION: 0.1
   AUTHOR:  Andrew Davies

A simple blink example that will flash an LED connected to
port B pin 5 continuously on and off. This program has been 
written specifically for our development board HCDVBD0017

You may copy, alter and reuse this code in any way you like,
but please leave reference to HobbyComponents.com in your 
comments if you redistribute this code. This software may 
not be used directly for the purpose of selling products 
that directly compete with Hobby Components Ltd's own range 
of products.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS". HOBBY COMPONENTS MAKES NO
WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, 
INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF 
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, 
ACCURACY OR LACK OF NEGLIGENCE. HOBBY COMPONENTS SHALL NOT, 
IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, INCLUDING, 
BUT NOT LIMITED TO, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL 
DAMAGES FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER.
*/

#include "STM8S103F3P.h"

main()
{
   unsigned int d;

PB_DDR = 1 << 5; //Set port B pin 5 to an output
   PB_CR1 = 1 << 5; //Set port B pin 5 to a push-pull

while (1)
   {
      for (d = 0; d < 40000; d++); //Delay ~ 1 second

PB_ODR |= 1 << 5;   //Set port B pin 5 high

for (d = 0; d < 40000; d++); //Delay ~ 1 second

PB_ODR &= ~(1 << 7); //Set port B pin 7 low
   }
}

Software Tools:

Development tools can be downloaded from the ST website here: http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/ ... 807/SS1747

A direct link to the STVD development environment is available for download here: http://www.st.com/web/catalog/tools/FM1 ... 7/PF210567

And the STVP programming software is available for download here: http://www.st.com/web/catalog/tools/FM1 ... 7/PF210568

A free 8K limited version of the Cosmos C compiler which is supported by the STVD development environment is available for download here: http://www.cosmic-software.com/eval_kit ... m_eval.exe
We recommend installing the Cosmos C compiler before installing the STVD development environment.

Alternatively SDCC (Small Device C Compiler) is a free compiler that is compatible with the STM8 microcontrollers and can be downloaded here: http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/

FAQ:

When trying to use the debug feature in the STVD development environment I get the following error: gdi-error [40201]: can't access configuration database

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvd\dao\ and install the ST Toolset.msi

If you are running 64 bit versions of Windows 8/10 and installing the toolset above did not resolve the problem open up a DOS command prompt in admin mode and issue the following two commands:

Regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\DAO350.DLL"
Regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\DAO350.DLL"

Libraries, example code, and diagrams are provided as an additional free service by Hobby Components and are not sold as part of this product. We do no provide any guarantees or warranties as to their accuracy or fitness for purpose.

Descriptions and diagrams on this page are copyright Hobby Components Ltd and may not be reproduced without permission.

barewires

Re: STM8103F3 Development Board (HCDVBD0017)

Post by barewires » Thu May 25, 2017 12:08 pm

Hi All, I have had much success with eForth on the STM8S103F3 - see HCDVBD0034 forum.
How much fun can one have with < 5 K?
eForth is so powerful and self-contained that I will never again need to use C, SDCC, assembly language, machine language, instruction sets, IDE or compilers. I have seen the light again (Forth on a Commodore 64 in the 80s) and have just realised that I have wasted my technical life with the rest of that noise. Give me an HC Pi 3 (or Pi Zero W) and STM8S board (and programmer and UART dongle).

There are now many active eForth / STM8S threads using different boards with important supplemental information.
http://forum.hobbycomponents.com/search ... ive_topics and look for content since May 2017.

Return to “ST Microelectronics”