Pic - K150 ICSP Programmer (HCDVBD0002)

Microchip PIC development boards and accessories
Totoche95

Re: Pic - K150 ICSP Programmer (HCDVBD0002)

Post by Totoche95 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:17 pm

Yes but as they are connedted on ICMP, they are also on socket, i don't know if it is normal.
The 16F628 with 18 pins is ok but with more pins 12V will be on pin it must not to be.
Cheers
Yves

LinkerMan

Post by LinkerMan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:34 pm

On the list of PIC MCU models supported , the pic16f716 is present, but I cant find it on the list of microbrn.
Is there a trick using another pic from the list?
Should I downgrade K150 to P018 and micropro that had it on its list ?
Is There a new Update that includes pic16f716 ?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:33 am

Sorry about that, I've check myself and it is missing in the software. Oddly the 16C version is there. If you have an older version of microbrn that supports that device you could just try opening up the chipdata.cid in a text editor and copying the section for the pic16f716 over to our version? I'd be very interested to know if that works for you.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

LinkerMan

Post by LinkerMan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:36 pm

andrew wrote:Sorry about that, I've check myself and it is missing in the software. Oddly the 16C version is there. If you have an older version of microbrn that supports that device you could just try opening up the chipdata.cid in a text editor and copying the section for the pic16f716 over to our version? I'd be very interested to know if that works for you.
I'll give it a try and then let you know what happen

Doddsy2978

Post by Doddsy2978 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:49 pm

This device is Win 10 compatible, right? I am only asking as I cannot seem to be able to make the K150 talk to my computer. Tricky when I wish to do some stuff. I am probably making some stoopid error or I have overlooked something. I have, by the way, tried any number of COM ports. Which protocol is required? The default?

Thanks

Ian

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:09 am

I'm afraid the K150 doesn't currently work with Windows 10. I've added a comment to the FAQ in the first post about this but I'll paste a copy of this below:
Currently the K150 does not work with Windows versions above Windows 7. This is due to the fact the latest versions of the Prolific USB driver no longer support the PL2303-HX version of the USB interface chip that is installed on the K150. Whereas installing an older version of the driver would normally resolve this issue, unfortunately Windows versions 8 and above will immediately update the driver to the latest and incompatible version without any notification. At the moment we not aware of a workaround for this issue however we will update this post should we find one.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Doddsy2978

Post by Doddsy2978 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:11 pm

Ah! Sorry! I knew I had overlooked something. I did ask one eBay supplier (I forget who) a while b ack and he assured me that it would work. So now I have two that are useless at the moment. Do you think the issue will be resolved at some point? Ah! Well! At least they ain't expensive :-/

Cheers

Ian

PS. Is there a solution that iiis compatible?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:26 am

Code: Select all

I did ask one eBay supplier (I forget who) a while b ack and he assured me that it would work.
We've not had any success in finding a fix so unless the eBay seller knows something we don't I think it may be a case of misinformation.
So now I have two that are useless at the moment.
If it's no use to you we will of course accept the programmer back as unwanted so long as it's in an unused condition.

Do you think the issue will be resolved at some point?
I can't say for sure but I think it would be very likely. The problem is not just confined to the K150, there's a wealth of different devices out in the wild that use the older HX version of the Prolific USB interface. In the past most people resisted upgrading to Windows 8 so were still running Windows 7, but now with so many people moving over to Windows 10 there's a big demand for a fix. We're keeping an eye on situation so as soon as we find a fix we'll be updating this thread with the solution.
PS. Is there a solution that iiis compatible?
Nothing that we're aware of. The K150 is quite an old design now but it's still a very popular programmer because of its ZIF socket. I don't know of any similar priced programmer with a ZIF socket.

Doddsy2978

Post by Doddsy2978 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:12 am

OK! Thank you, very much for you time and effort. I do have an older laptop and a copy of Win 7. For the interim, I may take this route.

mikeyp

Post by mikeyp » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:10 pm

Hi, I've bought one of your K150 programmers from ebay to program a modchip for myself. I'm really struggling with it though and have wasted 2 PIC12C508A chips so far. I'm reluctant to waste more if I can help it.

I've tried on a Windows XP laptop and a Windows 7 32-bit laptop, both with the same issue.

I'm running the software and prolific driver linked in the first post. Microburn reports the protocol for both software and device is P18A.

I'm following this guide here: [LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN] except I'm trying to program onechip instead of mm3.

Everything works the same up until 7:10 in the video when he programs it. He gets programming complete, whereas mine the bar gets to the end and I get recieved data error, about to reset.

If I re-load the hex file and set the oscal value again, I can verify the chip, the rom data passes but I get fuse error 0xFFF Good 0X0FEA Bad 0x0025

The chip doesn't then work at all.

Lastly, if I load the hex file, the fuses seem to configure as follows: WDT:Disabled MCLRE:Disabled Oscillator:IN_RC Code Protect:Disabled
If I read back the chip, the code returns as in the hex file, with the chip's original OSCAL value, but the fuses show as follows: WDT:Encabled MCLRE:Disabled Oscillator:XT Code Protect:Enabled

Advice welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

Return to “Microchip”