LiPo charging with step up boost converter module (HCMODU0131)

Power converter modules
admin
Site Admin

LiPo charging with step up boost converter module (HCMODU0131)

Post by admin » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:06 pm

This module is a small single cell lithium battery charging module which also includes a 1A step-up (boost) converter for powering a large range of applications. The module will charge most types of single cell (3.7) LiPo batteries from either 4 to 7.5V power supply input, or from a standard 5V USB port/adapter. A battery charge and standby LED is also included for visual indication.

Besides battery charging capabilities this module also includes an adjustable boost converter which is capable of stepping up the attached battery voltage from 4.5 to 24V with a maximum supply current of 1A (see table).

Hobby components notes:
If powering from USB or 'IN' terminals a suitable LiPo battery must be connected for correct operation of boost converter.
Do not connect power to 'IN' terminal whilst powering from the USB connector

Specification:

Product code: HCMODU0131
Input Voltage (USB): 5V
Input Voltage (IN): 4 - 7.5V
Battery type: LiPo 3.7
Default charging current: 1000mA
Output voltage (VOUT): 4.5 - 24V
Max output current (VOUT): 1A
Dimensions: 33mm x 24mm

FAQ:

Is it possible to change the charge current?

Yes but this requires changing the surface mount 1.2K (122) sense resistor. Please note that we do not recommend modifying this component unless you have experience with soldering small surface mount components. Unfortunately we cannot replace a module damaged due to this modification. You can change the charge current with the following resistor values:

Can I use the boost converter without a battery connected.

Yes but you will need power the module via the 'BAT' terminals instead of the 'IN' terminals. When powering from these terminals the supply voltage must be between 1.8 to 6.5V.

Does this module have battery low voltage shutdown?

The boost convector will go into shutdown mode if the battery voltage drops below 1.8V

Libraries, example code, and diagrams are provided as an additional free service by Hobby Components and are not sold as part of this product. We do no provide any guarantees or warranties as to their accuracy or fitness for purpose.

Descriptions and diagrams on this page are copyright Hobby Components Ltd and may not be reproduced without permission.

JCS

Re: LiPo charging with step up boost converter module (HCMODU0131)

Post by JCS » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:49 pm

I bought one of these modules - on paper it’s perfect for my application: mini UPS for a raspberry Pi zero to give me time for an automatic shutdown if the main power fails. It works most of the time however occasionally when main power is applied, the module faults and doesn’t power the Pi - I have to unplug output power to the Pi and replug to get the module to power up.

Peak current I am drawing is 400mA with a constant average current of 180mA so should be in spec.

Any clues?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:15 am

My best guess is it's probably due to the initial inrush or peak transients currents causing the boost converter to collapse whilst it is starting up. I don't have a Pi zero to do some tests and unfortunately I can't find any tests online for that version of Pi. The best I could find is some tests done on a Pi 3 & 4 on the following site but it will at least give you an idea of what's going on when a Pi boots:

https://www.switchdoc.com/2019/10/raspb ... -examined/

If this is the problem you could try inserting a very low ohm resistor in series with the supply to see if that helps. I would suggest something like 1 Ohm resistor.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

JCS

Post by JCS » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:56 am

Ok, thanks Andrew - I'll give that a go and let you know how it works.

I did notice yesterday, doing some extended tests, if I restart the Pi too quickly the boost converter gets -very- hot and ends up putting the Pi into a constant power cycle loop until you give it time to cool down, so it does look like it could be current related and it's right on the edge of what it can handle.

Return to “Power”