Pulse / PWM generator for stepper motor drivers (HCMODU0062)

Stepper and DC type motor drivers
admin
Site Admin

Pulse / PWM generator for stepper motor drivers (HCMODU0062)

Post by admin » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:05 pm

Description:
This pulse generator module is intended to be interfaced with common types of stepper / motor controllers. The module has two modes of operation, frequency and PWM. In frequency mode it will generate a square wave signal at a frequency that can be controlled by the user via a large potentiometer dial. In this mode there are 3 frequency ranges which can be selected by a jumper (see below). In PWM mode the module will generate a pulse width modulated signal with a duty cycle set by the potentiometer. There are also two latching switches that allow a user to enable/disable the motor output, and a motor direction control. The module also has two power input ranges allowing it to be powered from a very broad power supply range.

Please note: This module is intended to be used in conjunction with a motor driver, it cannot be used for driving a stepper motor directly. When using the 12V to 160V supply input option,the 5V to 12V terminal must be left disconnected.

Connections:

12V-160V................DC Supply input: high voltage
GND........................0V Supply input

5V-12V....................DC Supply input: low voltage
Com Anode..............Output for motor drivers with opto-isolated common anode inputs.
Com Cathode/GND.....Output for motor drivers with opto-isolated common cathode inputs.
ENA........................Connects to motor driver enable input.
DIR........................Connects to motor driver direction input.
PUL........................Connects to motor driver clock/step input.

Example:

john_m0ers

Re: Pulse / PWM generator for stepper motor drivers (HCMODU0

Post by john_m0ers » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:51 pm

Hi, I wired the boards exactly as shown above in the diagram, and after working for a few seconds, the hcmodu0062 went absolutely dead short 0.3ohms.
I found a zener diode that read zero ohms. I have replaced it with a 13v 1.3W and the lights come on now. I will connect it up to the other board and motor again and
see if it works. By the way, I think the original zener was 12v. It went short with 12.2volts from my lab psu. So do not allow the direct input voltage to go anywhere above 12v.
Better still use the regulated input.

john_m0ers

Re: Pulse / PWM generator for stepper motor drivers (HCMODU0

Post by john_m0ers » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:38 pm

I got to replace the zener diode today, and it is now functioning as it should. Its an easy way to test stepper motors and drivers.
regards john

HC2023

Re: Pulse / PWM generator for stepper motor drivers (HCMODU0062)

Post by HC2023 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:57 pm

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to say that I had some success testing a spindle motor with pulse generator HMCU0096. I tested a 400W spindle(HXKJ) with a HX-WS400 BLDC motor driver. The wiring is HMCU0096 PUL to HX-WS400 PWM, DIR to F/R, ENA to EN, -com cathode to GND and +com anode to +5V. J1 low, J2 Pwm. With Enable on the motor is off and on when enable is off. With Direction on the motor spins cw and ccw when direction is off. When ENA is disconnected the motor is always on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Motor drivers”