HC-11 433MHz wireless serial module (HCMODU0054)

Wireless and wired modules including Bluetooth, Ethernet, and IR kits.
admin
Site Admin

HC-11 433MHz wireless serial module (HCMODU0054)

Post by admin » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:52 pm

Order yours here

Description:
The HC-11 433MHz Wireless Serial Port Module is based on the TI C1101 ultra low-power wireless transceiver IC. As well as the C1101 wireless transceiver, the module also includes a microcontroller with preprogrammed firmware (no programming required by the user) that provides seamless connection via a TTL serial UART interface. Using this interface the module can operate in one of 3 modes:

Command mode (Pin 5 pulled low)
Allows for text based serial 'AT' commands to be sent to the module, or remote module(s) allowing for various configuration options to be set such as Local/Remote Channel, address, baud rate, etc.

Serial pass-through mode (Pin 5 high)
Any serial data sent to the module will be transmitted to any receiving module on the same channel and address and will be present on its Tx pin. Conversely any serial data sent to a remote modules serial interface received by the local module.

IO Mode
By issuing an appropriate AT command whilst the module is in command mode the module can be reconfigured from wireless serial pass-through mode to a wireless digital IO mode. In this mode the Rx, Tx, and Con pins are reconfigured as digital IO pins. Whilst in this mode the same pins any module configured as a slave can be controlled by the state of the of these pins on the transmitter module. This allows for remote device to be digitally controlled without the use of a microcontroller.

Pinout:

Features:
433.4-473.0MHz operation (depending on channel)
Ultra-low power consumption (3.5mA or 22mA depending on mode) with sleep option (80μA).
10dBm output power and high sensitivity providing long range in the open environment.
3V~6V operating voltage.
Serial pass through mode to replace the serial cable (half duplex).
IO pass through modes.
3V interface with 5V tolerance.
You can set the frequency and set the address, and dozens of instructions, automatic filter
8.Small size (13.5 × 28.2mm).
255 selectable addresses
20 selectable channels

Default Settings:
Baud rate: 9600
Channel: 1
Module address: 0
Tx Power: 8 (10dBm)

AT Commands:

Communication test:
Send: AT
Response: OK

Change module address:
AT+A<ADDRESS>

E.g.
Send: AT+A010
Response: OK-A010

Address can be in range of 000 to 255

Change baud rate:
AT+B<BAUD>

E.g.
Send: AT+B9600
Response: OK- B9600

Baud rate can be set to 1,200, 2,400, 4,800, 9,600, 19,200, 38,400, 57,600, and 115,200*
* 155200 baud supports sending data in 245byte bursts only.

Note that the BAUD rate in command mode is always 9600 baud.

Change Channel:
AT+C

E.g.
Send: AT+C010
Response: OK-C010

Valid channels are from 001 to 020

Configure a remote module:
AT+E<Y><X>

where Y can be either address (A), baud rate (B), or channel (C) and X is the required parameter

E.g. To change remote channel to channel 5
Send: AT+EC005
Response: Remote module returns ECR

Note that remote module must be in AT mode.

Change module to IO mode:
AT+FC<Y><X>

Where <Y> specifies module will be either a master (M) or slave (S) and <X> specifies either follow (F) or turnover (T) mode.

E.g. To set module as master follow mode
Send: AT+FCMF

E.g. To set module as slave follow mode
Send: AT+FCSF

When both master and slave are in follow mode state of slave pins will mimic master pin state.
When both master and slave are in turnover mode, state of slave pins win flip when a negative edge is applied to the master the appropriate master pin.

Note: Once in IO mode, to get back into command mode you will need to cycle the modules power whilst pin 5 is held low. Wait at least 1 second before issuing any AT commands.

Configure module to serial mode:
AT+FU<X>

Where <X> is optional and specifies the serial port transmission mode. Valid vales for <X> are between 1 to 4
Mode 1 is compatible with V1.7 modules.
Mode 2 low power 400ms idle current (80uA) mode. Baud rates from 1200 to 4800 in 245 byte bursts are only valid.
Mode 3 10ms mode. Idle current is 23mA
Mode 4 Increased transmission range. Baud rante must be below 9600.

E.g.
Send: AT+FU1
Response: OK+FU1

Change Tx power:
AT+P<POWER>

Where <POWER> is the Tx power setting and can be from 1 to 8 representing -30dBm, -20dBm, -15dBm, -10dBm, 0dBm, 5dBm, 7dBm, and 10dBm respectively.

E.g. To set maximum 10dBm power
Send: AT+P8
Response: OK-P8

Get module parameters:
AT+R<X>

Where <X> can be address (A), baud rate (B), channel (C) and Tx power (P).

E.g. To get the current baud rate
Send AT+RB
Response: B9600

Get baud rate, channel, address, and power:
AT+RX

E.g.
Send: AT+RX
Response: U1\r\nB9600\r\nC001\r\nA000\r\nP8\r\n

Configure serial port parameters:
AT+U<PARITY><BITS>

Where <PARITY> can be odd (O) or even (E) and <BITS> be one (1), two (2), or 1.5 stop bits (3).

E.g. To set parity to odd and stop bits to 1
Send AT+UO1
Response: OK-UO1

Get module version:
AT+V

E.g.
Send: AT+V
Response: HC-11_V1.8

To put module into low power sleep mode:
AT+SLEEP

E.g
Send: AT+SLEEP
Response: OK

Note: Module will not go into sleep mode until command mode is exited. To wake module from sleep mode endter command mode again.

Reset the module to default:
AT+RESET

E.g.
Send: AT+RESET
Response: RESET_OK

Note: Address, channel, and serial port will be configured to their defaults.

Datasheet:
CC1101_Datasheet.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

uobstudent

Re: HC-11 433MHz wireless serial module (HCMODU0054)

Post by uobstudent » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:07 am

Am I able to switch between sending and receiving mode on these modules whilst they are connected? And are they compatible with raspberry pi and arduino?

Thanks

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:38 am

Am I able to switch between sending and receiving mode on these modules whilst they are connected?
I'm not sure if I have understood the question correctly but serial mode is bidirectional so you can send serial data in both directions without changing mode.
And are they compatible with raspberry pi and arduino?
The data pins are 3.3V which are 5V tolerant so it is safe to interface them to both 3.3V interfaces such as on a Raspberry-Pi or 5V ones on an Arduino.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

uobstudent

Post by uobstudent » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:33 pm

Ok, great. I've ordered a few of these and the UART usb. Do you have any sample codes of how to use these on the Arduino or Pi to send and receive data? Or how I would set the channel and IO mode?

Thanks

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:18 am

I'm afraid we don't have any example sketches. However it is simply a case of pulling pin 5 on the module low to put it into command mode and then sending short text commands via the serial port. On an Arduino you can just use the built in serial port 'Serial.print()' functions to send commands whilst pin 5 is held low. For instance to set the module as a master in IO mode you would send:

AT+FCMF

via the serial port at 9600 baud via the serial port. For an arduino you could do this by using the built in serial function:

Serial.print("AT+FCMF");

To change the channel just do the same with pin 5 held low again and issue the following command:

AT+C010

Which will change the module to channel 10

You can reference the commands in the first post for more information. As you have bought a USB adaptor I would just open a terminal window and practice sending commands via that first. You could just use the one built into the Arduino IDE.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

uobstudent

Post by uobstudent » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:35 pm

Thanks Andrew. I've got these modules working with the Arduino boards very easily and doing everything I wanted using the software serial connection.
I'm now moving on to the Pi which is a whole different story...I'm new to programming raspberry pis...
I'm attempting to use the geany IDE and c++ with the wiringPi and wiringSerial library on it to connect to the module for the pi to then act as a datalogger to an SQL database and send a few commands around as well.
Do you know how to connect to this module to the software on the PI when its connected across the TX/RX pins on the GPIO?
I'll look into the data logging elsewhere once I've got the commands being sent and received first!

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:09 am

I'm not very familiar with the wiringSerial library for the Raspberry Pi so can't be of much help giving advice for it. That said, taking a quick look at the library it does seem to have serial port functions that are very similar in nature to the standard Arduino functions. So it does look like a simple case of connecting the module to your Pi in the same way you would on an Arduino.

aaronik19

Post by aaronik19 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:38 pm

Dear all,

Really thanks for this topic. Infact i have some problems with the HC-11 wireless module. I am design a street lighting control and i would like to use one hc-11 in very node and i am calculate to use 100 nodes. Is it possible to use this device? Does this module have a dedictaed addess to access hte device wireless? How to setup this address?mwhich at command?

Looking forward your comments

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:44 am

I am design a street lighting control and i would like to use one hc-11 in very node and i am calculate to use 100 nodes. Is it possible to use this device?
The modules can be programmed with up to 255 different addresses and there are 20 different channels so it is even possible to have groups of nodes on different addresses operating on different channels. So addressing wise this shouldn't be a problem. You would however have to take transmission rates and collision handling into consideration with that many nodes but this would be the case for any wireless system.
Does this module have a dedictaed addess to access hte device wireless? How to setup this address?mwhich at command?
No, with the built in serial application you can only issue commands via the serial interface pins. The only way around this would be to have a second module connected to its serial interface but yuo would also need to be able to remotely pull the connection mode pin (pin 5) low to put the module into command mode.

aaronik19

Post by aaronik19 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:36 am

Thanks for your reply. What are the settings of at commqnd to connect the module with mcu and let both microcontrollers to talk to each others?

Return to “Wireless / Wired”