PT2262 & PT2272 Wireless Modules (HCMODU0040 & HCMODU0041)

Wireless and wired modules including Bluetooth, Ethernet, and IR kits.
david

PT2262/PT2272 plus Arduino 5V Relay

Post by david » Mon May 19, 2014 3:18 pm

Hi
can anyone help! I needed a remote transmitter (TX) and receiver (RX) to operate a relay to put a full short on a control box. Hobby components supplied me with PT2262 and PT2272 433mhz tx & rx modules and a Arduino 5V Relay which I ran at 4.5 volts. I expected that while I pressed the TX button the relay via the RX would operate and release when I released the TX button the relay would release. Unfortunately if I operated the TX button the relay via the RX would operate for such a short time the short across the control box is not there long enough for it to detect it (if you put a meter across it the needle doesn't even get a quarter of the way across). If you hold you finger on the button the relay just flaps in and out until you take you your finger off. I then found that if I put the TX within 50mm (2") of the RX it work exactly how I was hoping and the control box operated perfectly, although I only need 2-3 metres operating distance obviously 50mm isn't much use . From this observation I thought that the voltage at the TX was to low so I wasn't getting the range, so I upped the voltage which made no difference at all. I then thought perhaps as the receiver module was designed for 5 volts that my 4.5 battery was not enough, so hobby components suggested I used a DC-DC USB 0.9v-5v to 5vdc Boost Step-up Power Supply Module Mini PFM Control, so even if the battery lost some power it wouldn't affect the performance, this again has made no difference. For over a month now I have been trying to get this working with no success. Can anyone tell me if using these PT2262 and PT2272 433mhz tx & rx modules should when holding the TX button the RX hold the relay operated, if so any ideas why mines not. Or if it is only meant to pulse in how can I slow the relays release so I can obtain a full short on the control box. hope you can help !

andrew
Site Admin

Re: PT2262/PT2272 plus Arduino 5V Relay

Post by andrew » Tue May 20, 2014 7:59 am

The relays should not chatter, and so long as the receiver is in range and the button is pressed, should remain permanently energised. Can you confirm that you have your push buttons connected as per this diagram with the pull down resistors:

http://forum.hobbycomponents.com/viewto ... =39&t=1473

Connecting it in any other configuration can cause the exact symptom you are seeing.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

david

Re: PT2262 & PT2272 Wireless Modules (HCMODU0040 & HCMODU004

Post by david » Tue May 20, 2014 2:00 pm

it is wiring is the same as your diagram except obviously I have connected the +ve from my battery to the red wire on your diagram (as no power input is shown). at the moment it is on a 9v supply with the receiver as I said before on a 5v supply. I have brought a second relay from you to prove it wasn't the relay, I have opened up the spare relay up and made the contact closer hoping that would help, but no luck! I have also used a 433mhz cloning transmitter and it acts in exactly the same way as the PT2262, that is way I thought perhaps you may only get a pulse from the PT2272. I have tried having a latching relay operated off of the Arduino Relay contacts, but still the pulse was to small. in the light of what you have said do you think the PT2272 could be faulty.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue May 20, 2014 4:45 pm

I cant see any obvious reasons why your setup wouldn't work. If the relay you bought from us is an HCARDU0001 then this should also work fine. There are a few comments to make, assuming you are using the previously mentioned relay:

All 4 inputs of the transmitter module must be pulled low and only one input can be pulled high at any one time. Both the receiver module and the relay module will actually operate at 4.5V but there may be a reduced range. So long as your setup is as the example diagram in the first post then it should operate as you would expect with the relay permanently energised whilst the button is pressed. What is the capacity of the battery you are running the receiver and relay from? Are you also connecting the output of the receiver module to the 'S' pin of the relay module and not the + (supply) pin ? Don't try to connect any other type of relay directly to the output of the receiver module as this could damage it. The relay module we supply has a transistor input acting as a buffer and suppression diodes which makes it safe for the receiver module to directly control it.

One thing I would suggest it separating the relay module from the receiver module and testing them separately. Try powering the relay from your 4.5V supply (+4.5V to the + pin and 0V to the - pin) and applying a +ve voltage to the S pin to energise it and see if it remains energised. Then if you have a voltage meter try connecting your 4.5V supply to the receiver module and measuring the output pins from the receiver module to see if they change state when you press a button. I.e 4.5V when the button is pressed and 0V when it is not pressed.

We certainly can rule out the possibility of a faulty module but it worth considering the above comments first before resorting to a return.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

david

Re: PT2262/PT2272 plus Arduino 5V Relay

Post by david » Tue May 20, 2014 9:40 pm

Hi
I did submit a reply earlier today but I must have done something wrong as it appears not to be on the forum.
to answer your question it is connected as your wiring diagram, except I have connected the +ve of my battery to the red wire.
At the moment I have 9v supply on the PT2262 and 5v on the PT2272. I purchased another Arduino 5V Relay from you to make sure the relay was ok. I have even taken the spare relay apart to adjust the contacts closer hoping that would give a longer pulse , but it still wasn't long enough. I have put a latching relay off the Arduino 5V Relay but the pulse still wasn't long enough. I have tried a 433mhz cloning transmitter and this reacts the same way as PT2262 module did. In the light of what you said is it possible the PT2272 could be faulty?

david

Post by david » Wed May 21, 2014 1:37 pm

hi
all parts have been purchased from hobby components, and I have tested all which have suggested. the output from the PT2272 is 5v and holds that 5v until I release the button, but as soon as I connect the relay up it pulses. An interesting point you made was the capacity of my supply do you know what the minimum it should be? As it stands at the moment I have 3v with about 3200mAh supply into your DC-DC USB 0.9v-5v to 5vdc Boost Step-up Power Supply Module Mini PFM Control. I disconnected the Power Supply Module and plugged my connection into the computer usb socket and the TX button worked upto about1.5m away. Also I have connected 4x AA lithium batteries (2x 2 in series paralleled) to produce 3v then connected to your DC-DC USB 0.9v-5v to 5vdc Boost Step-up Power Supply Module and I can get the receiver about 150mm (6") away from the transmitter before it starts pulsing.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed May 21, 2014 5:33 pm

From your comments it sounds like the combination of all three modules together are causing a problem. Removing the relay or step-up module from the equation immediately gives much better results. However that said I would still expect a much greater range then 1.5M, especially if you are powering the transmitter at 9V.

The relay module is clearly having an effect but at the moment it's not obvious if this is causing radio interference problems or power supply problems. The combination of these three modules is not something we have ever tried ourselves so I'll set this up on a bench and try to see if I can replicate your problem but I unfortunately won't be able to do this until tomorrow.

Some more things to check regarding range is to make sure that the antennas on both modules are not obscured by any objects, that you don't have any metal objects near the modules, and the antennas should ideally be in the same orientation as one another. Also cables connecting the modules to each other should be as short as possible.

david

Post by david » Wed May 21, 2014 6:48 pm

thanks for your help.
just to let you know before I used your Power Supply Module I used 3 AA batteries in series making 4.5v supply.

david

Post by david » Wed May 21, 2014 6:48 pm

thanks for your help.
just to let you know before I used your Power Supply Module I used 3 AA batteries in series making 4.5v supply.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu May 22, 2014 7:59 am

I've now set one up with the transmitter powered from a 5V source and the receiver in the following combination:

4.5V->Step-up->PT2272->5V relay module

I wasn't able to see any issues with the relay chattering until I started to get out of the modules range at which point the relay did start to chatter. However I had to get about 10 meters away and into another room with a brick wall in the way before this started to happen. This shows at least that it's not the step-up power supply module that is the issue (assuming your module doesn't have a problem). In fact I was seeing a greater range using this module then with my bench power supply. One thing I did notice is that I was able to get an ever longer range without the relay connected. I suspect that it may be the in-rush current of the relay causing the power supply to dip as it energises because adding a 330uF capacitor across the supply to the relay helped improve the range to the point where I could get to a second room away. I couldn't go any further simply because I was no longer able to hear the relay change state.

So at least this confirms that you should not be seeing the problems you have. Keep also in mind my tests where done with the Transmitter powered at 5V and as you are powering yours at 9V you should probably see even greater ranges. Also to answer a previous question, the combination of the step-up, receiver, & relay module should only draw about 100mA at best and so I doubt very much that the batteries you are using would be causing the problem so long as they have a good charge.

The only two things I can suggest is to take all the suggestions I've made about your setup into consideration, in particular checking the relay, receiver, and step-up modules (check it is proving 5V) in turn to see if there is a problem with any of them. Alternatively you could return them back to us for testing.

One last thought, I assume that you haven't altered the lengths of the antennas at any point ?

Return to “Wireless / Wired”