BF350-3AA Strain Gauge Module (HCSENS0036)

Modules for various types of sensors including accelerometers. gyro's, IR motion, etc
admin
Site Admin

BF350-3AA Strain Gauge Module (HCSENS0036)

Post by admin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:10 am

This strain gauge module uses a BF350 sensor to measure mechanical stresses in solid materials. The module includes an adjustable amplifier circuit to make it suitable for interfacing directly to a microcotrollers ADC input and requires only a single 5V power supply.

Note that this module should be used for applications where only relative strain measurements are required.

Specification:

Product code: HCSENS0038
Supply voltage: 5V
Output voltage: 0-3.5V
Sensor type: BF350-3AA
Strain limit: 2%
Active sensor size: 2mm x 3.5mm
Sensor resistance: 350 ohms
Fatigue life: >10000000
Module size: 32mm X 17 mm

Schematic:

BF350_3AA_Strain_Gauge_Module_HCSENS0036_Schematic.png

Example Arduino application:

Arduino Sketch:

1. #define SENSOR_PIN 0
  3. void setup()
  4. {
  5.   Serial.begin(9600);
  6. }
  8. /* Main loop */
  9. void loop()
  10. {
  11.   Serial.print("Sensor: ");
  12.   Serial.println(analogRead(SENSOR_PIN));
  14.   /* Wait 1 second and then read again */
  15.   delay(1000);
  16. }

Disclaimer: Libraries, example code, and diagrams are provided as an additional free service by Hobby Components and are not sold as part of this product. We do not provide any guarantees or warranties as to their accuracy or fitness for purpose.

Descriptions and diagrams on this page are copyright Hobby Components Ltd and may not be reproduced without permission.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Giannis_D

Re: BF350-3AA Strain Gauge Module (HCSENS0036)

Post by Giannis_D » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:52 pm

Hello,

I would like to ask some things about this module:

1)Is this module suitable for working with strain gages 350 Ohm different than the one delivered in the package, but from a different company?

2) Does this module complete the bridge configuration inside itself ?

3) Is this module suitable for deriving a half bridge configuration (thus using two strain gages) ? From what I understand, this module completes the bridge configuration inside, but in the webpage it is only demonstrated for a quarter bridge configuration.

Best wishes

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:46 am

1)Is this module suitable for working with strain gages 350 Ohm different than the one delivered in the package, but from a different company?
Yes that should be fine but you'd probably want the gauge factor to be similar as well. There's more details about the sensor that's used on the module here:

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=2426

2) Does this module complete the bridge configuration inside itself ?
Yes there are 3 resistors on the module that complete the bridge circuit. I've just added a schematic to the first post which should hopefully help you understand what the module does a little better.

3) Is this module suitable for deriving a half bridge configuration (thus using two strain gages) ? From what I understand, this module completes the bridge configuration inside, but in the webpage it is only demonstrated for a quarter bridge configuration.
I wouldn't recommend it, there is only connection for one sensor so you'd have to modify the module by removing one of the resistors and replacing it with the additional sensor.

If accuracy is important to you, you may want consider this module in combination with your own bridge circuit and an Arduino:

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=1763
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Giannis_D

Post by Giannis_D » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:08 pm

Thanks a lot.

I am aware of the HX711 and its use but right now I first have to search for a module to complete my half bridge.

Best wishes,
Giannis

gugarauj07

Post by gugarauj07 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:10 pm

Hey, I would like to know how to interpret the data from this module. What's the unity for this data?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:12 am

Hey, I would like to know how to interpret the data from this module. What's the unity for this data?
As the voltage of the analogue output is dependent on the position of the potentiometer screw I'm afraid you cannot use this module to make absolute measurements. You can only use it for making relative measurements, i.e., you can use it just to sense changes in the strain gauge.

The only way you'd be able to assign units to it would be to calibrate it with another sensor that can make absolute measurements.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Return to “Sensors”