Hobby Components Arduino Compatible Uno+ (HCARDU0100)

Hobby Components Arduino compatible development boards
admin
Site Admin

Hobby Components Arduino Compatible Uno+ (HCARDU0100)

Post by admin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:13 am

This is our lower cost alternative to the standard R3 Uno, but in this case lower cost doesn't mean less features. In fact we have made several improvements to the standard R3 Uno, hence the 'plus'. By taking advantage of the latest USB components together with using surface mount technology for the main processor we have been able to significantly reduce the cost of this development board. But what's the plus all about? Well, whilst making changes to the latest R3 design we also decided to add a few improvements:

ImageImage

The first thing you may notice is the additional header pins supplied with the board. These can be fitted to the row of headers that we have added alongside the standard Arduino headers giving it more connect-ability. Add them to the upper side of the board to have additional connections to each pin, or add them to the bottom to get access to pins obscured by shields.

We also know that when experimenting you can never have enough power connections so we've added a header with plenty of 5V, 3.3V and GND pins. Plus added pins for Serial and I2C interfaces.

We've even improved on the standard artwork to make it clearer, and on the underside we've also added extra information for alternative pin functions - very useful if you like to hack your Uno.

We've changed the USB interface to lower the cost of the board.

But don't worry, despite all the improvements it's still an Uno. It will work just as well with the Arduino IDE and is compatible with any hardware that works with an ordinary R3 Uno. Just install the drivers (see links below) and select the board type as 'Arduino Uno' and you're good to go.

This product is derived from the Arduino(TM) reference design which was released under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license.

You can see the license here: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by ... /legalcode

Technical support for any product sold by Hobby Components should be directed to Hobby Components. We have no affiliation with Arduino.

Windows Installation Instructions

Note for Windows users: The correct CH340 driver is now supported via the Windows update process and so you should only need to plug in your Uno+ and Windows should automatically install the correct driver. If for some reason Windows fails to install the driver it can be manually downloaded and installed via the link below.

Windows Driver

Drivers are available in the link below. Simply download and unzip them, plug in your Uno+ and when the new hardware is detected, point the wizard to the folder you just unzipped to and it should install without any problems.

Download via our forum here

Download via our github page:

https://github.com/HobbyComponents/CH340-Drivers

MAC installation instructions

New code signed version confirmed to work with 10.12 Sierra
CH34x_Install_V1.3.zip

Older code signed version confirmed to work with El Capitan
CH34x_OSX.zip

Instructions:

Download the driver (you must be logged in to download)

Once downloaded, double-click the zip file to unzip it.

Run installer found in that folder.

If asked to restart, do not restart just yet.

Now restart your Mac.

Order Yours Here
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TGDr-aka-RG

El Capitan and Hobby Components Arduino Compatible Uno+

Post by TGDr-aka-RG » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:54 am

Mac users will probably find that their Hobby Components Arduino Compatible Uno+ (HCARDU0100) is not recognised properly in the Arduino Dev Environment in OSX El Capitan.

You need a signed, updated driver available here:-

http://www.strongsoft.co.uk/ch34xInstaller.pkg.zip

Hope this helps!

rparmar

Re: Hobby Components Arduino Compatible Uno+ (HCARDU0100)

Post by rparmar » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:13 pm

Just got an Uno Plus and can't wait to check it out.

First thing... the onboard LED that indicates "on" status is far too bright. Not to mention that it is red, which indicates a fault in pretty well every visual vocabulary!

So, first, is there any way to disable it? Temporary or permanent solutions welcome.

Second, you should consider replacing it with green or white in future iterations.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:20 pm

So, first, is there any way to disable it? Temporary or permanent solutions welcome.
No permanent way to disable it without removing a resistor or the LED itself. Temporary: Electrical tape or dim it with a black maker pen ;-)
Second, you should consider replacing it with green or white in future iterations.
Thanks for your feedback, we'll take it into consideration.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

rparmar

Post by rparmar » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:01 pm

OK electrical tape it is! Thanks for the quick reply. Was kind of hoping for an assembler hack. :-)

DiamondRichard

Post by DiamondRichard » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:21 am

Just bought one of these boards, but trying to programme it from Linux seems like a non-starter (unless I'm missing something). I can probably develop my code on a genuine Arduino Uno (that works beautifully under Linux) and then port it via a borrowed computer but that's a major pain. Shame as it appeared like a promising alternative.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:27 pm

I can't give you specific help for your version of Linux however in most versions of Linux the CH340 driver (required for the USB interface on the Uno+) is usually already built into the Linux kernel. So it will normally just work by plugging it in. If you think your problem is caused by a missing driver it can be downloaded from the CH340 IC manufactures website:

http://www.wch.cn/download/CH341SER_LINUX_ZIP.html
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

ILYBTodd

Post by ILYBTodd » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:57 pm

Hi Andrew,

Question about UNO+

What might cause an otherwise fully functional UNO+ to suddenly have issues with setting com-state for the respective COM port? Has the Serial Interface died possibly? is there anything that I can do to correct by way of code? New bootloader burn etc?

Todd

ILYBTodd

Post by ILYBTodd » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:57 pm

An error occurred while uploading the sketch
avrdude: ser_open(): can't set com-state for "\\.\COM14"

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:44 pm

An error occurred while uploading the sketch
avrdude: ser_open(): can't set com-state for "\\.\COM14"
I've note seen that error before. Although I wouldn't rule out any possibility at this point it looks to me like an issue with Windows and not the board. In particular my first suspicion is that it's a driver problem. Did you have to download the driver for the Uno+ from somewhere and if so was it somewhere other then the link in the first post of this thread?

What might cause an otherwise fully functional UNO+ to suddenly have issues with setting com-state for the respective COM port?
I assume it was working fine before this point?

The next thing to check is if the driver is working ok. Can you open up Windows device manager and locate the Uno. It should be under 'Ports (COM & LPT)'. Can you check to see if it has an error or yellow caution symbol next to it?

Return to “Development boards”