Hobby Components Arduino Compatible R3 Mega (HCARDU0092)

Hobby Components Arduino compatible development boards
admin
Site Admin

Hobby Components Arduino Compatible R3 Mega (HCARDU0092)

Post by admin » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:20 am

Description:
Our very own version of the popular Arduino Mega development board (HCARDU0092). It hast been designed from the open source revision 3 Arduino Mega reference design and comes pre-flashed with the Arduino bootloader. This board is 100% compatible with all shields and modules compatible with the Arduno Mega. It is an ideal alternative if you are looking for a standard Arduino board but with significantly more Memory and IO compared to most other Arduino development boards. Its very low price together with the freely available Arduino development environment provides a cheap and easy way to get started.

The Arduino Mega 2560 is a microcontroller board based on the ATmega2560. It has 54 digital input/output pins (of which 14 can be used as PWM outputs), 16 analogue inputs, 4 UARTs (hardware serial ports), a 16 MHz crystal oscillator, a USB connection, a power jack, an ICSP header, and a reset button. It contains everything needed to support the microcontroller; simply connect it to a computer with a USB cable or power it with an AC-to-DC adapter or battery to get started. The Mega is compatible with most shields designed for the Arduino Duemilanove or Diecimila. The Mega 2560 is an update to the Arduino Mega, which it replaces.

Revision 3 of the board has the following new features:

-- 1.0 pinout: added SDA and SCL pins that are near to the AREF pin and two other new pins placed near the RESET pin, the IOREF that allows the shields to adapt to the voltage provided from the board. In future, shields will be compatible both with the board that uses the AVR, which operates with 5V and with the Arduino Due that operates with 3.3V. The second one is not a connected pin, that is reserved for future purposes.
-- Stronger RESET circuit.
-- Atmega 16U2 replace the 8U2.

Specifications
Microcontroller: ATmega2560
Operating Voltage: 5V
Input Voltage (recommended): 7-12V
Input Voltage (limits): 6-20V
Digital I/O Pins: 54 (of which 15 provide PWM output)
Analogue Input Pins: 16
DC Current per I/O Pin: 40 mA
DC Current for 3.3V Pin: 50 mA
Flash Memory: 256 KB of which 8 KB used by bootloader
SRAM: 8 KB
EEPROM: 4 KB
Clock Speed: 16MHz

Pinout

Schematic
HCARDU0092_Schematic.pdf

Order Yours Here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tim Stinchcombe

Re: Hobby Components Arduino Compatible R3 Mega (HCARDU0092)

Post by Tim Stinchcombe » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:56 pm

Is the schematic for this board available for download? I'm intending to drive my current project (which uses one of these), with a 're-purposed' power supply from an old modem/TV box - I'm supposing the switching between the USB power and the on-board regulator is similar to that on a Uno, but would prefer to be working from a position of knowledge rather than ignorance, and having the schematic will save me having to reverse-engineer that part of the board. (I also note that the regulator arrangement on this Hobby Components' take on the circuit is clearly different from the official Arduino Mega board.)

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:22 am

As requested I've now added the schematic to the first post. In terms of schematic design our Mega is identical to the Arduino R3 spec.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Tim Stinchcombe

Post by Tim Stinchcombe » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:26 pm

andrew wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:22 am
As requested I've now added the schematic to the first post. In terms of schematic design our Mega is identical to the Arduino R3 spec.
That is excellent - many thanks! (I can see now that the relation between the 5V rail and the USB 5V is as the
Uno/Mega reference designs, and that I don't have to contend with the paralleled-up regulators of the latter. Edit: well the Mega schematic showing two MC33269 regulators in parallel, which is what confused me, definitely came off the Arduino website, but having found a second schematic, with an LD1117 in the same arrangement as the Uno, things look a little more sensible! Perhaps it was an earlier design with a dual footprint or something, where it was only physically possible to fit one or the other...)

ILYBTodd

Post by ILYBTodd » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:45 pm

Hi Andrew,

Did I kill it somehow? I've been trying to load MarlinFW via VSCode and or Repetier Firmware via Arduino IDE to drive a Core XY printer and 5V Laser to engrave with. Not having much luck yet.

Board is recognized as a COM port using Windows. Sounds with Windows device connection connect sound.
Arduino reads and reports Board Info with details.
Can't upload any code and get the below error.

Todd

Sketch uses 1536 bytes (0%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 8183 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes.
An error occurred while uploading the sketch
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM5": Access is denied.

avrdude: ser_drain(): read error: The handle is invalid.

avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail
avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port
avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: The handle is invalid.

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:27 am

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM5": Access is denied.
From the above line it looks like something is blocking access to the COM port and stopping the IDE from uploading the sketch.

Sometimes AVRDude, the program that runs in the background and does the actual uploading, can lock up and not release the com port. Try running task manager and looking for ARVRDude. If it's there then just use task manager to kill it.

The other possibility is that some other program on your computer is stealing the COM port. I see this a lot with version 2 of the IDE. For some reason it seems to be more prone to this happening. So if you have anything else running that may access a COM port (3D printer, CNC, etc) then try closing them.

If you still have no luck just try rebooting the computer.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

ILYBTodd

Post by ILYBTodd » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:06 am

Ended three items running in task manager that looked like possible suspects one of which was Repetier Server that did not show running anywhere but in Task Manager.

Loaded the Blink sketch successfully :-)

You're the greatest!

Now back to turning my 3D printer into a laser engraver. Wish me luck.

Thanks

Return to “Development boards”