Arduino Compatible Pro Micro (HCDVBD0013)

ohra

Re: Arduino Compatible Pro Micro (HCDVBD0013)

Post by ohra » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:19 pm

I'm confused. I just measured the voltage of the VCC pin of my Pro Micro and it read about 3.2 volts. But it's supposed to be the 5 volt board so shouldn't VCC be 5V? Can I somehow confirm which model it is?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:06 am

If you bought it from us then it should defiantly be a 5V version. How are you powering it and do you have anything else other than the power supply connected to it?
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

ohra

Post by ohra » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:44 am

At the time I was powering it from USB and had a ESP8266 wifi module connected. Now that I measured the voltage again with that setup it's about 4.6V. I'm guessing that at some point the wifi module drew so much current that the output voltage sagged to around 3V?

But is it possible that the voltage drop remains for a while even when there is no load connected? Because I distinctly remember disconnecting everything and measuring the VCC of ~3V.

lexalove

Post by lexalove » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi,

I have a quick question....
I received my board and prior to coming on this forum after reading that the CPU used on these boards was the same as the Arduino Leonardo I set the IDE to this board type and have been able to successfully load the blink program (modified the output to pin17). So my question is since I appear to be able to compile and load program successfully what is the advantage of using the Sparkfun support files posted at the head of this thread?

Thanks for the support.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:52 am

Well there is the adage of if it ain't broken then don't fix it. If the board is working for you ok then you probably don't need to install the additional files. However what we tend to find that happens is that you can get locked out of your pro micro because the Arduino IDE is tagging on the wrong serial port code for your board. If you find at some point you serial port disappears after the board has booted then this will probably be the cause.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:52 pm

@Ohra

4.6V is what I would expect to see if you are powering it from the USB connector as there is a protection diode between the +5V USB and the VCC pin that will cause a few tenths of volts to be lost. I'm not sue why you would continue to read 3V after removing the Wifi module. It pay have been something to do with the on board fuse which can self repair. If you are now reading 4.6V on USB then it sounds like there's no permanent damage to the Pro Micro.

seb

Post by seb » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:36 am

Hey guy! I just got my board, and i've tried compiling the blink code, I have installed the files in the /hardware/ folder as suggested, and made sure that the board selected is the pro micro 5v/16MHz, but I keep getting this error:

Code: Select all

sketch_apr01a:13: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'setup' with no type
sketch_apr01a.ino: In function 'int setup()':
sketch_apr01a:13: error: new declaration 'int setup()'
/Users/sebastian/Documents/Arduino/hardware/SF32u4_boards/cores/arduino/Arduino.h:117: error: ambiguates old declaration 'void setup()'
I don't really know what I'm doing wrong, has anyone come across the same error?

EDIT: Never mind, its working now, got some odd characters in the copy/paste.

kevin

Post by kevin » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:55 pm

I just received this board and am having trouble getting it to work with the Arduino IDE (Tried versions 1.6.5 & 1.6.7).
I have downloaded the support files from both of the links above but cannot get the IDE to recognise the board.
Each time, I get the following error message...

Could not find boards.txt in /Users/Me/Documents/Arduino/hardware/SF32u4_boards/variants. Is it pre-1.5?
WARNING: Error loading hardware folder /Users/M/Documents/Arduino/hardware/SF32u4_boards
No valid hardware definitions found in folder SF32u4_boards.

I have double checked everything, the folder does contain a 'boards.txt' file.

I am using a MAC and just in case I was going mad, I have tried it on two systems.

Any ideas?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:22 pm

The first post is out of date, the latest Arduino IDE (currently 1.6.7) now supports the Pro Micro via the new board manager feature. In the IDE go to File ->preferences. In the window that opens up past the following URL into the text box labeled 'Additional boards manager URLs':

Code: Select all

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sparkfun/Arduino_Boards/master/IDE_Board_Manager/package_sparkfun_index.json
Then click ok and go to Tools->Boards->Board manager

In the window that opens up scroll down to 'Sparkfun AVR boards by Sparkfun electronics'

Click the install button and when it's finished installing the support files click the close button to close the window.

Now under Tools->Boards you should see an option for the Pro Micro. Also remember to select the correct processor type under Boards->Processor.

kevin

Post by kevin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:21 am

Thanks Andrew, got it going now! :)

Return to “Arduino Development Boards”