HC4x4xx4 Version 2 Library for 4x4x4 LED Cube kits

Useful guides, libraries, and example sketches to support our Arduino based products.
andrew
Site Admin

Re: HC4x4xx4 Version 2 Library for 4x4x4 LED Cube kits

Post by andrew » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:35 pm

Sorry, just a couple more questions...

1) Do you use your Arduino IDE to upload sketches to another Arduino board(s)? Just want to try an rule out a problem with the IDE itself.

2) In board manager (Tools->Board:ATMega328->Boards Manager) what version of the Minicore board files do you have installed? The latest would be 3.0.1.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

mcMikey

Post by mcMikey » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:01 pm

Andrew,

I use the IDE to upload.

Can't check using board manager as I downloaded the minicore zip for a manual install, but I believe it is the latest version, downloaded last Monday.

I've just been over to the minicore github. This problem seems to have already been flagged as an issue, so I added my upload log to it.

Mike

mcMikey

Post by mcMikey » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:45 pm

Problem (almost) solved.

I've just had a reply from MCUdude.

Minicore requires Avrdude 7.2 which is installed from the board manager, but not with the manual zip install.

Thanks for your help.
Mike

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:10 am

Minicore requires Avrdude 7.2 which is installed from the board manager, but not with the manual zip install.
Ah ok, that makes sense.

Just for reference, I've tested one using the latest version of minicore (3.0.1) via board manager and it's uploading fine.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

mcMikey

Post by mcMikey » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:04 pm

After a board manager install of minicore uploading is now working.

Thanks again.

I've been looking through the library code, and (if I'm correct) I've noticed that the timer2 initialization is for a 4MHz clock, not 8MHz. Not a major problem, but I thought I'd mention it.

Mike

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:04 am

I've been looking through the library code, and (if I'm correct) I've noticed that the timer2 initialization is for a 4MHz clock, not 8MHz. Not a major problem, but I thought I'd mention it.
Yeah the code was originally written for a 4MHz master clock because of potential UART issues when run at 8MHz internal. That turned out not to be a problem so it was upped to 8MHz for extra speed. That bit of code only affects the speed at which the LEDs get updated. It's just where the line is between less flicker and sketch runtime.

As you said it's not important but I'll add a note to the library to change it next time it gets updated - thanks.

Return to “Arduino”