Pic programmer and pic 12f683 help.

Forum for posting topics and questions about anything.
Ohm matters

Pic programmer and pic 12f683 help.

Post by Ohm matters » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:47 pm

Firstly I’ll confirm my purchase of pic programmer k150 from hobby c
16/01/18 order No EBONSZBHB
It’s all new to me so I figured I’d start with said pic programmer. I’ve never used one before until it arrived. My goal was to program pic 12f683’s. I’ve set up the programmer on windows 10 and it’s connected and ready to program.i have the correct pic selected and it lets me program the pic and states successful. However this is were it confuses me. If I read it back it does not match what I wrote to it. I get all 00’s and further down all FF’s. When I verify it says bad ***,good ***.
So can anyone please clear up my confusion and confirm this is normal or a error on my part. The chip is programmed with an hex file basically created for games console controller.i apologise in advance if this post lacks certain information needed,and I’d be happy to confim any further details needed. I will shortly be trying another pic from a new batch to see if I get similar results. So thanks for any help anyone can offer. And remember I’ve never used a pic programmer up until now. I’m using The pic software available from hobby components.the chip I programmed was for a games controller rapid fire set up. Which I wired up correctly but did not function as supposed to.Once again thanks.
Last edited by Ohm matters on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ohm matters

Re: Pic programmer and pic 12f683 help.

Post by Ohm matters » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:25 pm

Ohm matters wrote:Firstly I’ll confirm my purchase of pic programmer k150 from hobby c
16/01/18 order No EBONSZBHB
It’s all new to me so I figured I’d start with said pic programmer. I’ve never used one before until it arrived. My goal was to program pic 12f683’s. I’ve set up the programmer on windows 10 and it’s connected and ready to program.i have the correct pic selected and it lets me program the pic and states successful. However this is were it confuses me. If I read it back it does not match what I wrote to it. I get all 00’s and further down all FF’s. When I verify it says bad ***,good ***.
So can anyone please clear up my confusion and confirm this is normal or a error on my part. The chip is programmed with an hex file basically created for games console controller.i apologise in advance if this post lacks certain information needed,and I’d be happy to confim any further details needed. I will shortly be trying another pic from a new batch to see if I get similar results. So thanks for any help anyone can offer. And remember I’ve never used a pic programmer up until now. I’m using The pic software available from hobby components.the chip I programmed was for a games controller rapid fire set up. Which I wired up correctly but did not function as supposed to.Once again thanks.
Ok I tried a new chip and same results. I also have more info.verify issue I get this info: Rom error at 0x0000:good-0x2B2E—Bad:0x0000.i just happened to randomly write an hex file created at random that was created by someone else but was available for download as it was created to be shared,I wrote it to the chip and the verify data was ok. I didn’t get any errors. Which has led me to believe there’s an issue with the hex file I created. I hope the additional info can help you help me. Thanks.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:50 pm

Normally when you are only able to read 0x00's or 0xFF out of a programmed PIC it is a sign that the code protect fuse bit has been set. This is a optional copy protection feature normally used to stop any code programmed into a PIC being read back out and used in another device. It is likely that your HEX file is setting this bit and stopping you from being able to read the code back out.

If you want to confirm that the programmer is working correctly then you could simply erase your PIC and then write some values in the rom data window in mirobrn. Just double click any of the blank values to write something. Next check that the code protect bit is disabled by clicking the 'Fuses' button and making sure the Code Protect fuse is set to disable. Then write the data to the PIC as normal and see if you can read it back. If so then it is likely your programmer is working and the issue is as suggested above.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Ohm matters

Post by Ohm matters » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:20 pm

andrew wrote:Normally when you are only able to read 0x00's or 0xFF out of a programmed PIC it is a sign that the code protect fuse bit has been set. This is a optional copy protection feature normally used to stop any code programmed into a PIC being read back out and used in another device. It is likely that your HEX file is setting this bit and stopping you from being able to read the code back out.

If you want to confirm that the programmer is working correctly then you could simply erase your PIC and then write some values in the rom data window in mirobrn. Just double click any of the blank values to write something. Next check that the code protect bit is disabled by clicking the 'Fuses' button and making sure the Code Protect fuse is set to disable. Then write the data to the PIC as normal and see if you can read it back. If so then it is likely your programmer is working and the issue is as suggested above.
Thank you very much Andrew yes indeed when I load up the hex I created it sure has the copy protect enabled. So I will disable it and write it to the pic and I believe my issue is resolved. So Andrew I’m very grateful for your very helpful response.have a great weekend.

Return to “General Discussion”