Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Elec Freaks adapter / 2.4" TFT / HCTFT Library / Leonardo 

Post Elec Freaks adapter / 2.4" TFT / HCTFT Library / Leonardo
[POST MOVED FROM ELEC FREAKS 2.4" TFT SCREEN THREAD]

I am still trying to get to grips with this display module along with the shield adapter board (HCARDU0084). I bought them months ago and have yet to get the screen to work!
When I first got it I tried using the UTFT library. I gave up trying to get it to work on an Arduino Mega. I since bought an Arduino Leonardo and today I thought I would give the screen another go using that. I also decided to use the HCTFT library instead of UTFT. I have the latest version of the Arduino IDE (1.6.9) and followed the install instructions to the letter. The library is installed as it shows up in the Sketch->Include Library menu. I copied the example code from this topic as a test. It just does not work, I get these compile errors:

Code:
D:\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\HCTFT\HCTFT.cpp:50:26: error: 'PORTA' was not declared in this scope

volatile byte *DPH[] = {&PORTA,&PORTA,&PORTD,&PORTD,&PORTA};

^

D:\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\HCTFT\HCTFT.cpp:50:33: error: 'PORTA' was not declared in this scope

^

D:\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\HCTFT\HCTFT.cpp:50:54: error: 'PORTA' was not declared in this scope

^

D:\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\HCTFT\HCTFT.cpp:52:28: error: 'DDRA' was not declared in this scope

volatile byte *DDDRH[] = {&DDRA,&DDRA,&DDRD,&DDRD,&DDRA};

^

D:\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\HCTFT\HCTFT.cpp:52:34: error: 'DDRA' was not declared in this scope

^

D:\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\HCTFT\HCTFT.cpp:52:52: error: 'DDRA' was not declared in this scope

^

Using library HCTFT in folder: D:\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\HCTFT (legacy)
Using library SPI at version 1.0 in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SPI
Using library SD at version 1.0.8 in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SD
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Leonardo.

Any help?

Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:17 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Elec Freaks 2.4" Colour TFT touch screen panel (HCARDU00
I'm afraid the problem is due to the fact that the library doesn't support the Leonardo, only the Uno for that particular display. The Leonardo uses a different microcontroller to the Uno and its port mappings are different which is causing the compile errors you're seeing. Although you still wont be able to program your Leonardo, if you where to select Uno as the board type you should find that the library will compile without any errors.

Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:57 am

andrew wrote:
I'm afraid the problem is due to the fact that the library doesn't support the Leonardo, only the Uno for that particular display. The Leonardo uses a different microcontroller to the Uno and its port mappings are different which is causing the compile errors you're seeing. Although you still wont be able to program your Leonardo, if you where to select Uno as the board type you should find that the library will compile without any errors.

From the OP itself: "If you wish to interface this screen to a 5V Arduino board such as an Uno or Leonardo please see our shield adapter board (HCARDU0084) which will not only allow easy connection of the screen to your Arduino, but will also level shift the interface pins to the correct voltage levels."

It specifically mentions the Leonardo. Why mention it if it is not supported? More and more I am feeling I was cheated out of my money with this product! I got the Leonard for its HID support after reading here that the adapter board (HCARDU0084) can be used on it! The UNO is no good for the purpose I had envisioned!

I live alone on a very low budget so I can not afford to buy multiple Arduinos. It is just a hobby so this much trouble on a product I could barely afford is just too much (yes I know they are cheap but on my budget it's enough to be a bit of a problem!) :(

Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Site Admin

I've very sorry to hear this...

The statement about the adapter shield being compatible with the Leonardo is correct. In fact is can be used with many types of development boards that have the standard Arduino header layout but as with all hardware products we sell, they do require software to be written to use them in your end application. There is nothing hardware wise stopping your screen and adapter from working with your Leonardo, it just needs some software.

All software including sketches and libraries, and especially in the case of products we do not manufacture ourselves, are created by ourselves as an additional free curtsy. They are given away freely and *not* sold as part of any product. In the case of the HCTFT library there are many combinations of screens, adapters, and development boards and it is simply not practical for us to support every possible combination. In particular, with this library doing so would also comprise the efficiency. However if you have enough software skills you could modify it has to work with a Leonardo yourself, or at least you could use it as a guide to creating your own code.

Alternatively we will always accept any item back for refund so long as it is in an unused condition. You can find details of how to return an item on our website here:

http://hobbycomponents.com/content/11-returns

For libraries

Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:00 am

andrew wrote:
I've very sorry to hear this...

The statement about the adapter shield being compatible with the Leonardo is correct. In fact is can be used with many types of development boards that have the standard Arduino header layout but as with all hardware products we sell, they do require software to be written to use them in your end application. There is nothing hardware wise stopping your screen and adapter from working with your Leonardo, it just needs some software.

All software including sketches and libraries, and especially in the case of products we do not manufacture ourselves, are created by ourselves as an additional free curtsy. They are given away freely and *not* sold as part of any product. In the case of the HCTFT library there are many combinations of screens, adapters, and development boards and it is simply not practical for us to support every possible combination. In particular, with this library doing so would also comprise the efficiency. However if you have enough software skills you could modify it has to work with a Leonardo yourself, or at least you could use it as a guide to creating your own code.

Alternatively we will always accept any item back for refund so long as it is in an unused condition. You can find details of how to return an item on our website here:

http://hobbycomponents.com/content/11-returns

For libraries

I did not expect you to support every possible combination of Arduino device out there, but I did expect you to support the ones mentioned, I.E. the UNO and the Leonardo! Hardware compatibility is useless without the proper support in the software so you should not be including the Leonardo in the description. This does constitute as a false representation of your product because the software is REQUIRED to make the display work. Claiming the software is given away free and NOT sold with the product is an unlawful attempt to get around the legalities. Also, you sell this as a hobbyist's kit, it would require more than hobbyist knowledge to write the software to drive the display. So to suggest that as my only recourse (other than getting a refund) is just totally ludicrous on your part!

Let me put it this way: You walk in to an Apple store to buy an iPod Nano as it meets your particular needs for a music device. They neglect to check what OS you have installed on your computer before selling you the Nano. You are told that you will need to download iTunes free from the Apple web site because it is REQUIRED to upload music to the Nano. Now you get home and find there is no iTunes for your Linux system! You have the legal right to return the product based on incompatible software even though the software was provided as a "free download" after purchase option. What would you say to Apple if they then tried to tell you to go write your own software to make it work?!

As for returning the products, I think you can obviously tell they have been used! They have not been soldered into any device or anything like that, just the adapter board plugged into the Arduino and the display into the adapter board, the screen still even has its protective film on it from shipping! But you would argue that from my posts here trying to get them to work I clearly have used them and therefore am not eligible for a refund. If that is the case then that would make your reply an empty gesture!

Anyway, I will persist in finding other ways to make the display work instead of getting a refund. It is sad that there is no after sales support from you other than to claim the software is given "as is" and if it does not work then tough luck! Thank you for your time and efforts anyway.

BTW It's 'courtesy' not 'curtsy'. A curtsy is something women do instead of a male's bow, like when you meet royalty ;)

Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:28 pm
Site Admin

I need to keep this response short because this discussion is off topic but I do need to make it clear that all the current items we sell (other than some of our own branded products) are hardware only. Many of these products are advertised to work with different development boards such as Arduino, AVR, PIC, Raspberry Pi ARM, etc. When purchasing these items the customer is expected to have enough technical knowledge to know how to use them for their application. All sketches, libraries, guides, and this forum are provided as a free service and we have no obligation to provide or support these additional items. Please keep this in mind should you ever decide to purchase items from us in the future.

With regards to returning your items, so long as they appear to be in an unused condition we will accept them back as unwanted.

Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:47 am

I fail to see how a discussion on the library that's meant for use with the boards is off topic, but oh well :)

Hobbyists are beginners, they should not be expected to have highly technical knowledge because they are learning as they go. You are quite simply avoiding the issue by using disclaimers which are in a grey area of legality. Maybe if you were called "Professional Components" and offered your parts to professionals and knowledgeable hobbyists only (Like Element 14/Farnel does) then you could safely get away with the disclaimer. But that is just my view as a customer (I won't claim the adage of "the customer is always right" :P ).

I will not return the parts even though they are in as new condition. I will just have to put my hobby project on hold until I have the time to learn more about how the libraries work. After all, I have a background in software development so it should not be too much to handle, speaking for myself and not other hobbyists ;)

Thank you for your time and patience though :)

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:03 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
I fail to see how a discussion on the library that's meant for use with the boards is off topic, but oh well

This thread is for technical questions relating to the Electric Freaks 2.4" tft module.

Technical questions about the TFT adapter shield can be posted in the appropriate thread found under Arduino->shields

Technical questions and comments about the HCTFT library, for example your OP, can be posted in the thread found under Software->Arduino

General questions or discussions, for example, comments about software support, or anything else, can be posted in the general discussions section.

Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]