labels

Forum for posting topics and questions about anything.
Tangobaldy

labels

Post by Tangobaldy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:43 pm

good to see labels on the kits i bought pointing to forum. As noob i missed them on first order.

any reason why the red led in kits have quite a high failiure rate? i get about 6 dead in each of the two 4x4x4 led kits. blue green none dead and in the new 8x8x8 kit with over 500 led blue not one failiure. i tested them all at some time i must say.

the green led are very bright.

i will post on forum about the new 8x8x8 through hole led kit once i get going on it.

a tip for the solder people esp if using leaded solder. you can buy a wall mountable extractor fan the bigger ones that dont fit flush to the wall. Wire it up to a plug and you hot glue to seal screw holes and have it sitting on your desk with a 2 meter strong dust extractor pipe hanging out window. I built mine with parts from amazon £46 and a few meters of cable with a plug. Its so much better than using a small fan with a carbon filter. All the junk goes out the window. Make sure you get a fan with backdraft protection.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: labels

Post by andrew » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:49 am

good to see labels on the kits i bought pointing to forum. As noob i missed them on first order.
Yes we recently updated our product labels to include a link to the forum. This was more for our eBay sales channel were eBay rules don't allow us to provide links to the forum in the listings.
any reason why the red led in kits have quite a high failiure rate? i get about 6 dead in each of the two 4x4x4 led kits.
Did you may any chance notice the failed red LEDs after their legs were bent? I think they are a little sensitive to mechanical stress so it could be that.
the green led are very bright.
The forward voltage of the green LEDs is the same as the RED but human eyes are more sensitive to the green part of the spectrum so I guess for that reason they would look brighter.
i will post on forum about the new 8x8x8 through hole led kit once i get going on it.
That would be great. They have been far more popular than we expected. To the point where we have now temporary sold out. However at the moment we've had no feedback from customers. We can only assume that no news is good news :-)
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Tangobaldy

Post by Tangobaldy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:29 pm

i tested all leds before assembly this time. My first kit was a red one and its a bit poorly as i cooked it with soldering iron and never checked leds.

as for the 8x8x8 surface mount i am assembling circuit board now.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:05 am

Ok thanks for the feedback. I've no idea why there would be a problem with the red ones, it's very unusual for any components to be faulty but hopefully it's just a batch issue. We do deliberately put extra LED's in the kit (especially the 8x8x8) but if you find your short just let us know.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

Return to “General Discussion”