Question (2 off) about the Arduino sketch pad

Forum for posting topics and questions about anything.
robmcp

Question (2 off) about the Arduino sketch pad

Post by robmcp » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:35 pm

Newbie, I've fallen at the first fence, I wanted to post this in the Arduino dev board forum, unfortunately, other than here, I can't see a "New topic button"
Hopefully a Mod will move it, or some kind soul will tell me why I can't sere a "New topic button" in that forum?

I've completed assembling the Sketch kit and want to program it, I would like to use the FTDI friend from Adafruit which worked fine on a Mintduino project.

The sticking point I have is the connections, The FTDI has
GND
CTS
VCC
TX
RX
RTS

The obvious ones are fine, the two I'm stuck on are the CTS and RTS, the FTDI is set for 5V power and 3V signal also (default) the RTS is enabled.
Can anyone tell me what should go where when using this to prog the Hobby sketch (ignoring the obvious ones TX RX etc)

HAs anyone used a FTDI to program this skecth?
Thanks.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Question (2 off) about the Arduino sketch pad

Post by andrew » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:52 pm

Newbie, I've fallen at the first fence, I wanted to post this in the Arduino dev board forum, unfortunately, other than here, I can't see a "New topic button"
Hopefully a Mod will move it, or some kind soul will tell me why I can't sere a "New topic button" in that forum?
We don't allow creation of new topics in the product forums to keep things organised and uncluttered. With the odd exception there should be an appropriate thread for each product we sell. If not then you can just post in the general discussion section like you have done. That said we do have an existing thread for the sketch pad. The easiest way to find the correct thread is to simply search the product code for the item but for the sketch pad you can find the appropriate thread here:

http://forum.hobbycomponents.com/viewto ... hpad#p4051

The obvious ones are fine, the two I'm stuck on are the CTS and RTS, the FTDI is set for 5V power and 3V signal also (default) the RTS is enabled.
Can anyone tell me what should go where when using this to prog the Hobby sketch (ignoring the obvious ones TX RX etc)
If you take a look at the form thread linked above you'll see a diagram for connecting a standard FTDI adaptor. The I think the difference to yours is that you won't have a DTR pin. However I believe you can use the RTS pin on your module instead. Programming it with an FTDI adaptor also assumes that you ordered the sketchpad with the Nano bootloader and not the Uno bootloader?

If do just select 'Arduino Nano' as the board type under Tools->Board in the Arduino IDE.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

robmcp

Re: Question (2 off) about the Arduino sketch pad

Post by robmcp » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:34 pm

Thanks for the reply

" also assumes that you ordered the sketchpad with the Nano bootloader and not the Uno bootloader?"

Re the above, need to check my order paperwork, then need to see what the difference is, first time for everything. Cheers. McP

Return to “General Discussion”