HCKITS0041 4x4x4 LED Cube Kit

Forum for posting topics and questions about anything.
strood_john

HCKITS0041 4x4x4 LED Cube Kit

Post by strood_john » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:56 pm

Has anyone successfully reprogrammed this kit? LED cube is working fine but when trying to reprogram it, the Arduino IDE cannot find the correct COM port. With the Cube connected and powered, Windows (10) Device Manager show the port as "Prolific USB to Serial Comm Port (COM7)" with the yellow exclamation mark. The IDE does not see COM7. I tried downloading drivers from Prolific but when trying to install, it gave a Device cannot start (Code 10) message. Note, I did set the IDE to "Nano" as recommended in product description on the Hobby website.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: HCKITS0041 4x4x4 LED Cube Kit

Post by andrew » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:46 am

It does sound like you have a driver issue. I've heard reports of driver problems with windows 10 (and 8.1) when using the windows supplied version. I've attached a version (64bit) that is reported to fix this problem but unfortunately I don't have access to a windows 10 computer to try it. If it works for you can you let me know and I'll get it added as the recommend driver.

Make sure the cable is unplugged and it should prompt you to plug it in during the install. Also remember to reboot your computer after you install it.
PL2303_64bit_Installer.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

strood_john

Post by strood_john » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:48 am

Hi Andrew, thanks for speedy response - unfortunately, my Windows 10 is 32 bit and trying to install supplied driver software gave error message ("Only suitable for 64 bit architecture") so could not install - tried various Compatibility settings to no avail. Thanks for trying anyway. So far, I'm not particularly impressed with Windows 10 as it keeps slowing down and takes a long time to end tasks and copy files from one location to another (and I only have another 3 weeks to decide whether to go back to Windows 7!!!).
John

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:03 pm

Sorry I made the assumption it would be the 64 bit version. Here's the 32 bit version:
PL-2303_Driver_Installer.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

strood_john

Post by strood_john » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:46 pm

Hi Andrew
Thanks again for coming back so quickly - after 3 tries at uninstalling (device & drivers) in Device Manager., finally got COM7 working; the driver that appears to be the one to use (well, for me, anyway) is 2.0.2.8 (11/20/2007). Successfully loaded an amended version of Cube sketch (amended to prove that it had taken correctly!) using Nano and COM7. So, many thanks for your assistance (especially on a Sunday!!).
John

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:54 am

That's great and thanks for the information. We've not had anyone else report this problem yet but Windows 10 is new so if anyone else does report the issue we know which version of driver to try.

Return to “General Discussion”