TFT-OLED questions

Forum for posting topics and questions about anything.
AlanWooler

TFT-OLED questions

Post by AlanWooler » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:51 pm

Hi Andrew, I have a question for you about screens and the different things they can display. You do three models and I have bought two of them so far.

OLED screen - SSD1306 128x64 Pixel OLED Display Module

Pros:
Only uses 4 pins
Very low current
An amazing range of different fonts and sizes

Cons:
Single colour for text
Can't display images like .bmp files

Since this is small, it is perfect for a project I am working on for keeping an insulated box at the right temperature. It displays what is going on right there and then without needing a USB cable and a serial link and I don'e need fancy colours or graphics as I just want to see what it is doing quickly. Perfect little device and a great price.

Arduino Compatible TFT LCD module

Pros:
Uses just 5 pins
Very easy to display .bmp images on the screen and position them
Can put text on top of an image with ease
Very large colour range for setting the background colour
Same large colour range for text & so easy to set
Arduino give wiring plans for all the major boards they make, so easy to wire up on them

Cons:
Doesn't seem to have any font libraries
You can change the text size, but it becomes blocky

This is perfect for 2 projects that I am making, the first is for a shop, so wonderful that I can put their logo on the screen for 3 seconds as it boots up before it then starts to display stats. The other project is for a car parking sensor (as image above shows) so perfect for displaying different colour texts around an image of a car.

2.4" Colour TFT touch screen panel
This display I have not bought yet, but plan to as I think it will be ideal for other ideas that I have in my mind.
The question I have is, do you know if it has a font library and sizes like the OLED screen has?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: TFT-OLED questions

Post by andrew » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:07 am

That's is a good summery of the screens. One thing I should point out if it is not obvious, is that the font and image options are a limitation of the libraries, not the screens themselves. There may be other libraries in existence that could have these extra features so if it is important it is always worth a google.

For the TFT display we have tested it with the UTFT library written by Henning Karlsen together with our own library (HCTouch) for resistive touch screen support. I believe that UTFT library currently supports 3 sizes of fonts. You can see two of them in the picture running our example sketch. You can find a manual for the UTFT library here:

http://www.henningkarlsen.com/electroni ... .php?id=51
Comments made by this poster do not necessarily reflect the views of Hobby Components Ltd.

AlanWooler

Re: TFT-OLED questions

Post by AlanWooler » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:08 pm

Thanks for that Andrew, very helpful. I think once I have finished my current projects, I will have to buy one of the touch screen modules as they do seem very good & a lot of fun.

Return to “General Discussion”